“A real experience - not for veggies”
Review of Hotel Sud Bahia

Hotel Sud Bahia
Ranked #74 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
London, United Kingdom
“A real experience - not for veggies”
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Yes, the hotel needs total refurbishment; yes, there is one snooty receptionist; yes, I had serious problems because I am veggie BUT if you travel you should try to experience the local atmosphere. This seems to me a Moroccan hotel. The tourists are incidental. When I was there the place was full of men from the king's entourage and then of fishermen visiting a maritime industries' exhibition in the port of Agadir. I was there as a lone woman and could not have found more friendly and helpful people (except for said receptionist). I had a problem (not with the hotel) that needed the site rep. He came back repeatedly until everything was sorted out and even e-mailed me to check how things were going. There were two main problems in the hotel (1) the set menu simply did not cater for veggies and (2) until I go them trained, the cleaners insisted on removing all towels by 10 a.m. but the clean ones didn't turn up from the laundry until, sometimes, 2p.m. Trips, massage, etc? Like everything - and everywhere - else, you need to shop around. Everything in Agadir is a long way from everything else and you either walk or take a taxi. The only place of real interest is the soukh, so only go if you want to lie on the beach all day or use the hotel as a budget-priced base for excursions. Oh, and I was told you could even get a better price in the hotel, though I don't know how. I do know some people have been going there every year for well over 30 years.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank shukran_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We picked this hotel because it was cheap, and it lived up to our expectations. The reception area was well looked after, but the room was very basic. There was no cold water in the shower, only hot (although the water temperature was perfect), and there were ants in the bathroom. However the cleaners did a good job, and the staff generally were friendly and helpful. I don't know if it's the same in the summer, but there weren't many tourists there, mostly Moroccan businessmen. The location was very good, near the beach and the centre of town. The restaurant wasn't great though- we went B&B, and there were plenty of good value places to eat around. There's not really much to do in Agadir, although the kids loved the Valley of the Birds, so it's a good idea to explore a bit, unless you just want to laze on the beach. We booked an excursion through an office, and got exactly the same trip as the hotel was offering for much less. The "Small Sahara" trip was really good value, with one exception- we were persuaded to get on a camel, against our will, marched around for two minutes, and then charged 200 dirhams for the privilege. I gave him 150 in the end, but wish I'd given him less. The camel people at the Kasbah seemed to operate the same scam, don't be intimidated by them. If they won't give you a price in advance then don't go near them. Generally the Moroccan people were lovely, and we always felt safe. The weather was fantastic for the time of year.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This was our first trip to morocco and after reading varying reviews we weren't sure what to expect. We chose the Hotel Sud Bahia because it was a cheaper alternative to many other hotels in Agadir. For the price we paid we were not in the least bit disappointed with the Hotel.

Ok so the decor is a bit dated but for £200 for two of us we weren't expecting the Dorchester! However this being said the rooms themselves were very comfortable, and we never had a bad night's sleep, despite it being pretty hot! The cleaning staff come round everyday and did a really good job for us! The reception staff are friendly and were able to answer all our questions. The waiters were simply fantastic! They couldn't do enough for us, and they always went out of their way to say hello.

The pool is nice and clean (the pool guy is very proud of it, he cleans it without fail, every morning and is there throughout the day removing debris) There are a good number of sunbeds, which are plastic, but if you need a bit more comfort there are small sunbed mattresses available. The pool is completely enclosed within the hotel walls but it gets the sun from early morning right into the evening so there is plenty of time for sunbathing. There is a DJ by the pool throughout the day, but the music may not be to everyone's liking. It is not too loud however meaning you can still enjoy the pool, read a book, listen to your own music or simply sit and chat so this shouldn't put you off.

The breakfast on offer is not "basic" as some reviews say, however it is not a typical english breakfast. There are croissants and breads with a selection of honey and jams, aswell as fruit, pancakes and tea and coffee . But there are also things which us Brits wouldn't consider for breakfast with olives and salad on the table. There are other things available to order but if you're happy with a light continental breakfast then you won't be disappointed. (This is Morocco after all and a completely different culture to the UK)

The law in Morocco still allows for smoking indoors and the seating area and bar can become quite smoky, but the temperatures in Morocco mean you can sit outside until well into the night.

The Hotel Sud Bahia is well located, and although it isn't right on the sea front it is within a 10 minute walk. There are a good number of restaurants and shops within the same distance but if you want to travel further afield, have a chat to your holiday rep or to the reception. You will find there are lots of people offering "top excursions" but you should only book things through your rep or reception because touts often take your money and disappear.

Overall this was a cheap and cheerful holiday which we thoroughly enjoyed and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to venture to Morocco but is on a budget. As I mentioned it isn't the Dorchester or Caeser's Palace but it is a lovely hotel nonetheless.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gwesthead
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2011

the recptionist who thinks she owns the place and acts very posh in her suits, is abusive and ill mannered. i wanted a massage and asked the nearest spa/salon.she said the hotel has the services in the building. she told me i can take my 2 year old daughter with me as there is childcare facilities there too and made me wait 25 minutes in the lobby. assuming a therapist wuld come get me, i instaed got a man from a jeep who took 45 minutes to go and collect all the other clients from the hotels around the area and then drove us and 15 minutes to a back street. there were no lifts and 4 flights of stairs to get upstairs. whe i got there it was so dark my daughter ogt scraed and started crying. and of course... no childcare! my experience of massage was one with me cuddling my daughter whilst a therapist amssaged my back as i sat up.on return to hotel i told her of my experience and she was rude and started saying angry words in her language. the rep was never here to sort anything out. he knew the issues in this hotel so always scived away. you would see him at the beginning and only at the end if your lucky soo no chance of complaining.there was a group of german holidayers and they had to wait over 2 hours to get thier rooms and the same lady gave them bad attitude that they left even though they paid in advance.we waited 1hour 30 minutes. the family next to us waited 3 hours and they had the same attitude from her and so had a transfer or left.the hotel itself was ok but abit tacky. the bathroom was rusty and old,mildew the kids pool had bugs, spiders, hair and debris floating about in it so kids wouldnt play it. the rest of the staff were quite friendly from gardener to cleaners. the balcony was unsafe as the brick were loose and were ready to fall on somone below and kids could slip out. the breakfast was good, but we got bored towards the end as it consisted of the same tea/cooffe and olives, bread, coissants, processed meat and honey everyday.the kids wanted yoghurt and it cost £1 for a very small pot of plain vanilla yoghurt.drinks are extra. the lift didnt work and always took ages to come.the pool for adults was quite big and they did put all chemicals in everyday but opened the pool after 10am once it was ready. its near the promenade about 10 minute walk and theres a tourist office nearby that offered some maps of the place.the hotel has a small kiosk/newsgent and sport shop as you get out of the hotel and i think theres a small restaurant or coffee shop. its a nice area. the hotel is ok for someone staying on budget, students etc. not for families and elderly.the cleaners are good at thier job, but the furniture, and state of building is just old and tacky so makes it look very unclean and worn out.if i was given a stay free at this hotel i would not take it.the receptionist is very unprofessional and ruined the mood of holiday for all.AVOID!put your money elsewhere. there are better hotels than this one in agadir

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank crazyshopper45

Travellers are raving about these Agadir hotels

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Stayed inthis hotel supposed to be for two weeks all we had was problems after problems rooms were very dirty bed sheet not changed and had long hair as if someone had slept in tolet not flushed or cleaned had feaces when we fist enterd the room our room was changed 3 times no differant shower full of fungus electricsocket broken left open very dangerous specially for little kids coumminication problems food not fit for animals it was no holidays it was torchers My husband cut his trip short and paid for his own flight came home after six days infact if we all had the money we all would've come back with these holidays left us financialy and emotionally drained off and scaared us for life My husband had such impact He never wants to visit any african countery again top of that we lost another £400- which we paid to move to another hotel due to the communication we lost that is well
We were also told by the rep who repsantive that they have adviced travel agent not to send peoples into this hotel
We were told by the travel agent in london its very nice hotel
My adviced if you dont want to end up in asaylum dont go there stay away from this filthy place
sonia
ashford middlesex

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank sonia071
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I have resided at Sud BAHIA several times and its worth residing there, The rooms are exceptionally clean and spacious; further they have the necessary facilities.
The people n staff are quite nice especially Raschida a reception lady with appeal n swagger. Fatima a restaurant lady is also OOOOOOOOOOOO LA LA,
The breakfast is standard n basic but quite adequate. Sadly the evening meals are not very tasty in my opinion.
At £13 a night you cannot lose .

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I slept two times in this hotel. The first time was ok. I mean for the price it's acceptable. If you don't mind sleeping in sheets that certainly has been used before ( when you open your bed and can see some hairs in the cushions..). The really bad time was for breakfast . First of all, except the traditional pancakes the food was very bad. There was no plates and no cups to help yourself with the food, and a big queue of hungry customers waiting. I asked the staff for it, and he almost eat me because "he didn't have time"! I was so choked. I kept quiet and waited like everyone. 20 minutes later they brought few plates, which wasn't enough for everyone! and I wasn't the lucky one... I finally had my plate after 30mins or more. And what a surprise with the food!! just disgusting.
I finally went to the corner coffee outside, and felt better.
When I came back a week later to this place for one night again... that was even worst! I wasn't feeling well this day, I was having a bad indigestion. All a wanted is to get a bed and sleep. I picked up my key at the reception, and when I arrived to the door I couldn't open it! I thought they might mixed the keys, so went back to the reception. At the reception they thought I was crazy and sent me back to the room with the same key. Obviously nothing changed, and I still couldn't open it. Then I went back to the reception. They told me to wait in front of my room they will send someone. And I waited. I was feeling so bad, I just wanted to die at this time. After 20min, still nobody! So I get back to the reception and started raising my voice. After 30min someone came : the cleaner! So she tried with the same key and couldn't open it! I just wanted to kill them. I asked for another room. But they said It was their last room... I told them I was sick, and they didn't seem to be affected at all. No need to explain the details of this event any further, because it's irritating me again, we finally had another room after 1h30!!! They figured out they couldn't repair the door on that night so they realise they have another room for us after all !
Don't go there!!