“The worst experience I've ever had”
Review of Club Med Agadir

Club Med Agadir
Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
London, United Kingdom
“The worst experience I've ever had”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I decided to book a last minute holiday in Club Med Agadir (Morocco) for my 15 year old son and I for £2,900 (including Easyjet flights). When I booked, I told the Club Med agent on the phone that we wanted tennis and my son needs to study in the room (he has GCSEs). We were told there were 2 hours of tennis clinics in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Perfect.

After a terrible greeting in the airport, shoddy transfer, half hearted greeting at the club (more on this later) we discovered that the Tennis wasn’t even on site. It was a 15 minute bus ride away. On a horse farm. I am violently allergic to horses (if someone I’m with goes near a horse, I break out in hives and my eyes itch). I was also told that there was only 45 minutes of tennis in the morning (instead of 2 hours) So far, so bad.

After waiting 15 minutes for them to photocopy a ‘welcome pack’ (there wasn’t one in my envelope) and being led to our room (by a GO who didn’t speak a word of English and was quite rude even when I spoke French to her), we arrived a spot that I can only describe as a ‘pit’. We walked down 8 stairs below ground into a smelly, mouldy, dingy, dark, tiny, unventilated room. The beds weren’t even full singles. The ceilings were low. There was mould in the toilet. The pillows were lumpy and damp. The TV had a loop of the activities for the week. Only it was for the previous week. And the only welcome was a single piece of paper with huge lettering on it ordering us not to reserve Pool Chairs and TOWELS WILL BE REMOVED. And then I started sneezing. I can only assume a horse rider stayed in our room. There was no way my son could spend hours every day in this dark pit of a room studying.

I went to the desk to speak to a manager. I waited half an hour and no one came. I was told to go back to my room and the manager would call. We waited, but no call. I called Club Med in London and they said the only thing to do was to talk to the front desk. If I wanted to check out I could get a declaration from the front desk. Still the manager hadn’t bothered to call or talk to me. At this point, I realized nothing is going to happen. The only wifi was in the ‘lounge’ which again, was another dark room where smokers hung out on the other side of the campus (which was big). I tried to find another hotel in the area as clearly Club Med didn’t care. My son was hungry, so we went to the dining area for lunch. The food was mediocre (I’m being generous here).

I went back to the room and still no call from the manager. So I went back to the dark lounge (and these distances weren’t close), found another hotel down the road and booked it. I then went to the front desk and told them I was leaving. Only then did someone slightly more senior come and speak to me. They said they could show me another room, but it was further away and I wouldn’t like it. I told them I was leaving regardless. I couldn’t stay in a room where I sneezed, that was a pit and uninhabitable and also I wasn’t going to be able to play tennis.
I must admit, the Dutch woman at the desk at this point was pleasant. There was still no manager around, so I filled out a declaration and left it there. I would have to pick it up from their gate house later in the week so I could get my refund.

I checked in down the road (to Sofitel –which was fab – and cheaper – and had tennis on site) and picked up my voucher later in the week. Just to be clear: My son and I had a buffet lunch, but I did not use the facilities or unpack. We did not even use the toilets.

When I returned to London, I called the office at 9am on Monday (April 14th 2014) morning to send my declaration in and get my refund. They said I had to email it to a customer complaints. I did so and didn’t hear anything back. Not even confirmation that they received my email. I emailed again. Nothing. And again. I called customer reservations. They said they had a month to respond. At this point, I just wanted to make sure they received my complaint, as I had no way of knowing. I called customer reservations again, kindly asking them to ask customer complaints just to please confirm they had received my complaint (there is no phone number for customer complaints obviously). By Thursday, I received an email saying, yes, they received my complaint and they had a month (by May 12th) to look into it and I would have an answer.

I emailed on Monday May 12th asking for my refund and I received a long email telling me I’m not to get anything. I hadn’t informed them of my allergies on the health form (WRONG: I never filled out a form because I booked last minute), that they showed me another room and I refused (WRONG: I was never shown another room), despite being that they were at 99% capacity (which is difficult to believe). As a gesture of goodwill, they offered me a £625 credit against a future Club Med holiday. I think it’s clear from this email that I will never step foot in another Club Med for the rest of my life (I’d been on 2 Club Med holidays before – one in Antigua and one in Mexico years ago) (both were fine).

So to sum up: in addition to my allergies which made it impossible for me to play tennis and stay in the room, all I can say is that this hotel was the grottiest one I’ve ever been to (and that’s saying something given I travelled around Europe on $30 a day for months!) I did not stay in their hotel. I did not use their facilities and they are keeping £2000 of my money (our flights were max £300 each, plus the transfer plus the lunch – I’m generously saying £900 for all that). I only received this news yesterday so am calling the credit card company, a lawyer and the travel ombudsman today, and of course, going on every consumer advisory site I can get my hands on to stop people from making the same mistake we did.

Other littler problems:
- When we arrived, the transfer person was chatting with his mates, and barely acknowledged us. He pointed at a driver, who led us outside without a word, put our suitcases in the van and locked the van and walked away. Didn’t say: wait here, or we’ll just be a minute. My son and I sat on a kerb for 25 minutes wondering what the heck was going on (just for the record, I speak French, so the language barrier wasn’t an issue)
- Our transfer was only about 25 minutes, so they could have easily dropped us at the hotel.
- I understand the hotel was built in the 60s. It obviously hasn’t been touched since
- The beds were disgusting. The rooms were pathetic. The whole place felt a little sad. That’s the only way to describe it.
- Some of the staff were rude. Not all, but enough to be notable.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this better or more effectively, I’d really appreciate it! I’m pulling my hair out here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
16 Thank Janet W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Arabic first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my 3rd experience in club med. I came here with my family and some friends for the easter holidays. We all agree that we have a good time but this club is too old and needs some reshuffle. Also I think the quality of the products are not according to his prize. If is an old 3 trident village it should be cheaper! For the rest I just can say a huge thanks to all the petit club and mini club GOs. You make an excellent work taking care of the kids. They didnt want to leave! Also we enjoy a lot our time with the bar staff. Ivo and Ezekiel are awesome, nice and funny Go's. Keep it like that guys!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea
1 Thank John N
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our second time at this club med resort. Whilst some comments argue that it s the oldest Club Med and it shows I would rather say if it's been around for that long it means they do get the formula right and know how to run it also it tends to be the best value for money club med with direct flights from re uk.
We travelled as a couple with our two daughters 4 and 6 the room was big enough for our family with a separated children room with a bunk bed. Only drawback was that there was only one bathroom with only a shower no bath. The kids loved the bunk bed style room feel of the children's room. Food was good to very good especially anything moroccan. The kids loved the club facilities and always insisted on watching the show meaning they would not go to bed before 22 00 - 23 00 every night. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The children's mini club as per usual were also extremely flexible whether we left the children in the morning or afternoon full day for some activities other not etc. Overall our kids had a blast whilst the parents could enjoy the club facilities and other activities. During the course of the week we went to marakesh, one day we went surfing, played tennis, tried out archery with the kids, rode ponies with the kids as well as camels, we went for a walk up the kasbah and had plenty of beach and pool time by ourselves to relax as well. A club med holiday is as busy as you want it to be. The beach is huge very practical for jogging runs or for the children to enjoy. The club med is in the middle of it as a result you do not feel isolated from the rest of Agadir. This time we explored a bit the various markets and are still unsure about where to get the real deal argan oil but we'll probably return. What may need a bit of time to get used to is the shuttle bus service that takes you to and from the tennis golf and horse riding facilities.

Special mention to the golf activity I took a three day course in a group of 6-8 and our instructor Vaik extremely professional, patient very articulate and always a few jokes. With him I felt I made a lot of progress and his exercises were always spot on to improve or correct certain things. I would recommend taking the course to anyone whether beginner or pro they have something for eveybody.

Room Tip: We were in room 401 which was close to the pond where the frogs would sing at night and you could he...
1 Thank ybreuer
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We (self, wife and 5 year old son) stayed here in the Easter holidays for a week. Overall our stay was okay, but disappointing for the class of hotel. I would say the kids club and location (by the beach) were the biggest plus points. The biggest negatives were the food and noisy / crowded general atmosphere. Good if you want a break from the kids, otherwise nothing special. Now, in a bit more detail.
About Agadir in general. The beach is excellent, with a huge sandy beach that slopes gently far out to sea, making it great for small children. The weather at Easter was okay - days often started overcast with blue skies in the afternoons, we only had one or two days with limited sun.
Plus points about Club Med ...
The kids club (my son was in Mini Club) is excellent and my son wanted to go every day, which gave us grown ups time to read / relax. You could send your little ones for about 12 hours a day if you wanted, or, as we did, just go for morning or afternoon. I had a concern about the predominant language being French (only 4 English children when we were there) but my son didn't seem to find he was excluded from anything.
The 'village' area, where the rooms are arranged in largely single storey buildings, is peaceful and pleasant and I spent a lot of time sitting near our room and reading (see later). The main pool area was well enclosed, so even on windy / cloudy days it was warm there and there were strict warnings about 'reserving' sunbeds although this could have been better enforced.
In terms of service, everyone was pleasant and helpful up to a point. The nicest thing was that they had a room ready for us even though we arrived early. Apart from that there was nothing to stand out either way.
Negative points ...
I got a very bad upset stomach on the second night, without going into details let's just say that the washbasin wasn't close enough to the toilet. This might have coloured my judgement a little, but even so I found the food pretty poor. In particular the cheese, wine, coffee, croissants (pastries) were not very good. The Germans seem to have been able to produce good beer wherever they settled, what have the French been up to here! Son and wife are vegetarian and had a pretty limited diet - although my son was very happy to eat nothing but crepes, croissants, jam, bread and strawberries for a week. He did have pizza, his favourite food, but complained it always tasted of mushroom.
The communal areas, especially the pool area, were generally crowded and noisy (that and the stomach upset kept me near our room a lot). The pool itself is a bit dull (a simple rectangle about 1.5m deep throughout) and rammed with children outside kids club hours. There were never any towels available in the afternoon. Outside the kids club there was not a good space for children to play.
Our room was comfortable and functional, with a separate room for the boy, but very dated.

5 Thank 221joec221
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 April 2014

G.o. Staff and manager very kind, helpfull and very much presents. They do everything to please the guest. Food good and diferents choices. Miniclub great for kids, g.o. Do the very best to keep them busy at all time.
Unfortunatly the all club is almost 50 years old and nothing has been update apart tv sets. It needs to close for one year and be complitly restructored, leave itvas it is is a reallt aschem for Club Med..
Impossible tonget Hi FI out of the bar, inacceptable in 2014!!!!

1 Thank Naankuse07
London
Reviewed 7 March 2014

What can I say, we had a brilliant time at Clubmed Agadir. I did not know what to expect having read a lot of the reviews here but our stay was excellent. Our room was perfect, with a second room where our daughter could sleep. Very quiet at night, we all slept brilliantly. Food was great. There as loads for our daughter without having to use the baby corner. We enjoyed fresh BBQ fish everyday and wonderful pudding. I thought there was a great mix of food each night at the buffet. The staff were all wonderful, so friendly and helpful. We had zero issues with speaking English and even practiced some of our French. A walk down the promenade each morning was lovely and we explored Agadir a little. We would definitely return. We did book the baby club but hardly used it..not that we had any issues with it but were having great fun together as a family. Loads of lovely gardens to crawl around in. The only thing I found slightly annoying were the amount of us beds being reserved when clubmed policy stated that this is not allowed...they definitely need to enforce this as the pool area is quite small. Having said that, there is a gorgeous terrace area up at the beach which I much preferred to sit at if not at the beach itself. Fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: Chose ground floor 2 roomed apartment if you have children with you.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LondonBeaker
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Our first time trying Club Med. On our arrival (travelled with husband and 2yr old & 4 yr old boys), we were pretty underwhelmed by our family club room. Tired and shabby furniture. Bed linen not great either.

Also our first time doing all inclusive, so were unsure what to expect on the food front. It was excellent, they make a huge effort and a great variety - particularly good for vegetarians. Plus, buffet really worked well for our boys. If at first you don't succeed and all that....

We had booked our youngest into the Petit Club, which he took to really well. You could drop them off from 9-5.30, but we had him with us by the pool for the afternoons.

Our oldest was in the Mini Club and after some initial reluctance (I think mostly to do with the other kids nearly all being French speakers), he enjoyed his mornings with them. The activities are located at a ranch 5kms from the village. They transport them by minibus (with seatbelts).

Overall, the staff are very friendly, those working with the kids are particularly kind. The food is excellent. The atmosphere is super friendly. If you speak French you get more out of it but it is not necessary. Plus if you want to practice, Moroccans speak French more slowly and clearly than the French.

They are upgrading their wifi next year, but are planning to charge for it. Surely it must qualify now as a basic. The rooms need some TLC and I think DVD players as the TV is very limited. We brought our own for kids movies.

We had a great time, found the morning break from the kids really relaxing and the food wonderful.

• Stayed February 2014