“Fit for purpose and jolly good fun” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caribbean Village Agador

Caribbean Village Agador
Ranked #32 of 78 Hotels in Agadir
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Fit for purpose and jolly good fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in March so apologies for the delayed review, but it’s better than never!

I'll start off by saying that after reading the reviews, even before staying here I felt that some of the things written were harsh or unfair, and now that I have stayed I can confidently say that a lot of the reviews ARE harsh AND unfair! It’s remarkable what people find to moan about.

We went with an open mind, and had a lovely time.

So, from the start - arriving at the airport:

Morocco Airport is tiny, and you can expect to potentially take a loooong time getting through passport control, but you have to remember that the Moroccan way is a much slower pace, so try not to get frustrated - it won’t do you any favours!
Once you get through passport control this is where you will get your Dirham (pronounced Deer-ham), there is a choice of currency exchanges and the prices are about the same.

Once you get to the exit of the airport you will be bombarded with men in brown uniforms offering to help you with your luggage for a fee. The journey is so minimal from the airport to your taxi or coach that I wouldn’t bother (100 yards maybe). We did get some assistance, but that was because we were confused and tired! On the way back, we were wiser. The particularly favour English money.

We had a nice but slightly scary taxi ride to the hotel amongst the donkeys. The area is deprived and under developed so made me feel a bit bad for swanning about in a taxi, staring at the locals.

We arrived at the hotel, which is big - and checked in at reception. Again, this took a bit of time, but hey, you're on holiday so what's the rush?!

A nice man helped us to our room with our luggage and we gave him a tip. You will do a lot of tipping, but you don’t have to tip big 5-10 Dirham is about right (50p - £1).

Our room was a bit dated but perfectly adequate. The shower was awesome and massive. We had a nice little balcony too. We didn’t spend a huge amount of time in our room so didn’t need anything luxurious.

Once we had got ourselves settled, we went for an explore (to the bar!). On the way there are some market type shops and the guys there will try their hardest to make you buy their wares! Don’t feel pressured, it is more than fine to have a bit of banter, but to walk away. You obviously don’t need to be rude or impolite though. If you do want to buy anything, make sure you haggle - their prices start verrrrrry high for this reason!

So on to the bar/pool area:

A big area, with plenty of seating and a pool table. The bar can be a bit of a struggle to get a drink at times, but once you figure out their way of working you should be fine. There isn’t much of a queuing system, so don’t be offended if you were next but you don’t get served first – its probably not personal.

The drinks served are beer (on tap and bottled, but you don’t get a choice of which!), spirits and mixers (contrary to other reviews, I felt that the measures were rather generous), and ‘cocktail’ this is hilarious, there is only one ‘cocktail’ and it will rot your brain/stomach. It is vodka and some kind of squash like mixer. I wouldn’t personally recommend it!

In the bar/pool area there are plenty of sun loungers, we personally didn’t have any issues finding empty ones, but that’s probably down to the time of year we went.

There is an arena thing where they put on variety performances each night, ranging from karaoke, weird baby based comedy (don’t ask), and traditional Moroccan dancing. Always a bit of a giggle.

There is a night club next to main reception which is OK, we only went there one night. You have to pay for drinks there, it isn’t part of the all-inclusive thing.

The on-site entertainers, called the Animation team are brilliant, a bit annoying sometimes – but that’s just because they are so full of energy all the time! They work very hard, morning, day and night to keep the punters happy. They organise daily competitions, games and pool based stuff in case you get bored. And twice a day you can do the Agadir dance, which is ridiculous but funny. We made friends with a few of them, and if anyone reads this and goes to this hotel, give Dris a high five from us!

The food:

So there is a feeding frenzy that kicks off at 7pm in the main restaurant. A vast space full of different types of food to suit most palates. It’s pretty samey most nights, but it was more than good enough for my tastes. Beer, wine and soft drinks included. This isn’t waiter served, it is a buffet style – so help yourself. Some people have mentioned that they had to use plastic cutlery…. There was no evidence of this during our stay. We had proper grown up cutlery. My main issue with the restaurant was trying to find my way back to where we were sitting, but that has more to do with my lack of navigational skills!

For breakfast, check out the egg guy. He is awesome.

If you don’t fancy the massive restaurant you can book a table in one of the themed restaurants, but you have to book in the morning. We only went to the fish one, but the food was exactly the same as in the massive place, with the addition of table service. The waiters were pretty grumpy though so it wasn’t great.

The snack bar is awesome though and we went here most days. Tipping the waiter will do you well. We were very well looked after. Beers/drinks always replenished and a table always available. A nice selection of basic burgers, hotdogs, salad, sandwiches. This was my favourite place to eat.

In response to some of the reviews mentioning D & V’s as a result of eating the food, I wonder whether the amount of booze/sun consumed had anything to do with it….? No? Just a suggestion.

We ventured to the beach a couple of times, there are sun lounger guys who seem to just come up to you expecting a tip for not having done anything – but this is how they make their money. Just give a small tip, or if you really don’t feel they deserve a tip – decline.

I will admit that there were a couple of times when I felt intimidated by local men, which may sound a bit harsh but true. Try to avoid booby tops and the such (in keeping with Moroccan culture), it is acceptable to wear summer wear but try not to have too much flesh on display, you WILL attract the wrong type of attention.

All in all, we had an excellent time. The hotel complex although dated is quite nice, there are nice little pockets which are nicer than others.

The food and drinks were fine and plentiful. The weather was sunny and not too hot, the evenings get nippy though so make sure you bring your cardy.
The staff were great.

In general, be aware that Morocco is not England and things are done differently and you will be fine.

Happy holidays!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank PatBenatar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Polish first
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is the first time I've ever left a review but I felt I had to so that those of you that are going to this hotel would be prepared.
First of, we arrived at the hotel to a dark and dingy reception area and were told we had to fill out a form and we has to pay a local tax to get our keys!!After this we were shown to our room (and that's saying it nicely) it was more like camping but inside.The room had not even been cleaned, it still had the dirty sheets and blankets left on the beds from the previous guests and it absolutely stank.Within 15 minutes we were found another room which was much the same but at least the bed had clean shifts albeit if they were grey and the mattress protector under the sheet was yellow and stained, I think that was the best we were going to get.
Getting a sun bed was an absolute joke, not once did we manage to find one, but it was hilarious when walking passed the pool area at 9.30 am and everyone was stood there looking at each other with their towels in their hands and not knowing quite what to do, that made my holiday.
If you're French, Russian, Belgium or German you were treated like royalty but if you're British you didn't stand a chance, you would be served last, ignored or stared at!!
We ate out at the Le Salsa restaurant which is out of the back entrance of the hotel and to your left, the meal was perfect and the staff were very friendly.
When we were ready to leave the room to check out the maid was already in our room going through the wardrobes and drawers, stripping the bed, taking the towels away, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.Went to the reception we weren't even spoken to just a signal pointed at our arms so they could cut our wrist bands off, not even a goodbye, reception staff were pigs.
Last thing to mention is the canteen (oasis) ran out of plates, cutlery, wine and it was a struggle to find a table and that's with tipping the waiter, all in all the whole place needs to be pulled down, I would never ever go back there again!!
I'm sorry if this has put you off but be prepared.

Sleep Quality
10 Thank lilyflowerengland

Travellers are raving about these Agadir hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Yes we read the reviews. Yes we were dreading it. Overall turned out ok ish. I don't really know what exactly it is about this hotel that makes me feel that way.
Rooms.
Ours was a family room slept four although if four were in it then it would be a very tight squeeze. The beds were our actual complaint. They were hard as rocks every single one and the pillows felt like there was dried up cotton wool balls in them. We were on a ground floor room and our 'garden' was some dried up grass and a few random trees. No way as well looked after as the rest of the gardens. Shower was ok the actual shower head could do with a visit from Barry Scott, the bathroom was separate from the toilet and more like a wet room. Toilet was right next to the front door bit nerve racking if u needed to go when the maids visited.
Restaurants
We only visited two of the theam restaurants madam butterfly and the steak house. Both better a nice change from the oasis restaurant or the cattle market as we liked to call it. Now back to the cattle market, that is actually what it is. Top tip find a waiter on your first day and tip him 20dh ish and he will look after u for the time u r there. There is alot of French visit this hotel and this is reflected in the food. Especially at breakfast which we don't mind. The pancakes and croissants were lovely and fresh every day. Lunch and dinner, were ok not always appealing and tasted a bit bland towards the end of the week.Overall for the amount of people they are catering for they do a cracking job (im a catering supervisor in the uk). The food was I would say at a guess at the ccorrect holding temp 63 degrees but obviously without a food probe I can't be accurate. Did we get tummy upsets? Of course we did who goes on holiday and doesn't. Did it spoil our holiday no we just took some 'stoppers' washed our hands extra carfully and carried on. Was it the food? Who knows.
Pools. Not once did we eat off paper or plastic plates or did we eat with plastic cutlery. But we did take our own but didn't use it
Yep as all other reviewers have pointed out not a single free sunbed after 8am. But I had a cunning plan that didn't involve 6am gettings up. Be patient at some point in the smaller pool areas someone will leave and then u go and bag it. We prefered the small pools the one behind the oasis was perfect for us and ever tho one day we couldn't get a sunbed we did get a very cool Blackpool style deck chair. The main oasis pool had loads going on for the kids that is if your kid is french my daughter was a bit lost as she isn't fluent in french (must make 5 year old child work harder at languages). Best laugh of the holiday had to be when they cleaned the pool area one morning and took all the sunbeds away. I thought they were all going to cry following the pool man around with there towels.
Drinks.
All soft drinks are named brands ie coke, sprit, fanta (fanta is a very funny colour in morocco as in umpa luma orange). Beer is bottled beer and is lovely and refreshing. Spirits r local ones and there a bit mean on the measures. Plastic glasses u bedt but who wants to be walking around the pool with lumps of glass in there feet.
Entertainment
Ever done the hokie cokie in French? I have. I practically felt like rejoicing when ' music man' and 'super man' came on in English at mini disco time. The animation team work very hard but yet again if u ain't french u ain't getting in.
We enjoyed our holiday it was cheap and cheerful airing on the benidorm side but who cares we had fun.
O we also visited the souk. Its an absolute must go in from gate six and u r in knock off heaven. But always haggle them down. O and the traders in the complex r lovely guys just trying to earn a few quid. They are in no way more expensive as the souk if u dont fancy the trip out there and if u haggle them down u will get a bargin.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
4 Thank amandaal11
Odiham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

A friend and I stayed here for a week in the middle of July 2014. It was a cheap holiday so wasn't expecting a luxury hotel, but the Caribbean Village didn't deliver.

Firstly, the weather needs a mention. It was cloudy until 3/4pm everyday bar one. As this holiday was booked as a sunbathing, relaxing holiday, this wasn't ideal. I read plenty of reviews about Agadir before I booked, but no mention of the low cloud and chilly winds.

The hotel itself is actually joined on to another hotel, so instead of it being the 400 people as advertised, it is a hotel of over 1000 people. It was extremely busy at all times and everything was a battle due to the amount of people.

The hotel is set in lovely grounds with pretty gardens. Our room was basic, but very clean, however we looked out onto a building site (Room 3213). The room was quiet, however, which is what we had asked for. The WiFi is awful. There are 4 pools, and we used the "relaxing pool". It wasn't relaxing in the slightest, with kids allowed to play and climb all over the pool area. The other 3 pools are suitable for children, so this annoyed us that the 'relaxing' element wasn't implemented by staff. The pool boy at the "relaxing pool" also uses all his own towels and inflatables at 6.30 every morning to reserve all the sun loungers, so you have to ask him to move towels so you can have the loungers.

The dining room was busy and uncomfortable. You are packed tightly and the food is very repetitive and sometimes not very tasty. I didn't think it looked dirty, but both my friend and I got upset stomachs... thank god for Immodium! Our waiter, however was a star and was a very lovely man who fetched us drinks and bread at every meal.

The surrounding area is tired and the local resturants are dead due to the AI hotels around. We ate out one night and it was lovely. We did however get lots of unwanted and sometimes scary attention as we walked around. We are two 24 year old women and we got harassed every time we were out when it was dark.

I would highly recommend the night out called Fantasia, and the 2 hour argan oil massage. Both was fabulous. Don't go to the Bird Valley - all the animals are neglected and ill; very distressing.

This hotel was bearable for a week, however I was more than ready to leave by the end. Not recommended if you don't want screaming children in your ears 24/7.

Room Tip: Block 31, 32, 33 and 34 are quiet, but some rooms face onto a building site. Our room had no air con...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel complex with all sorts of things going on tennis courts /crazy golf / gym /sauna /turkish baths / the list is endless and the animation team where fantastic for the kids what i liked most of all was when the kids where doing dances such as the conga they where lead by one of the staff and another member was a couple of kids back and so on so when the kids went out of view you knew that they would not come to any harm they also had a childrens play area and that had a guard on the gate now i come to the moaning part the restaurant or should i call it the canteen its the only hotel where you had plastic tea and desert spoons and plastic side plates the meals where plentiful and people had mounds of food on the plates but it wasn't to my liking so i lived on pasta and some sort of bolognese without proper meat i think it might have been soya meat yuk and not to forget chips i life safer all in all not a bad holiday apart from the food and the canteen

Room Tip: i would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is bad on there feet to many hills and steps and som...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank alsilverf0x
Atherton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just returned from the carribean village hotel agador, had a fantastic holiday there not a large variety of food but always something to eat,good bar service from friendly staff good pool but sun beds a bit thin on the ground lol. Friendly hotel helpfull staff all round,would defo return here *****

Sleep Quality
9 Thank ianm481
Lee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

On arriving at the hotel we were informed we must pay a local tax ! and that our room was not ready for another 2 hours, when I stated I was not happy we were offered a room straight away.
On first impressions the hotel looked nice . Then the problems began we went to the restaurant to get some lunch, here is where the problems began, my little boy suffers a severe nut allergy , when we booked love holidays informed us that the hotel would cater for him. How wrong could they be we were informed that all he could eat was chips and rice and nothing else. After the second day the D&V started which was obviously down to the food and numerous people who I spoke to had this. We then decided to start eating out which when you book a all inclusive is not what you expect to do. We found it difficult in the hotel to get plates and cutlery and the hotel was so busy it springs to mind that the left arm does not know what the right arm is doing. There is a lot of rude people at this hotel which makes the whole been on holiday experience not a good one. Had it not been for the people we met whilst there it would have been a very long ten days. The toilets near the pool were diabolical with excrement smeared up the walls , no toilet paper etc. The entertainment is in French which is no good for English people as we couldnt understand a word. I really do not think that we would visit this hotel again, all in all a very poor service.

Location