“Exquisite gorgeous understated hotel”

Hotel & Spa Le Doge
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Casablanca
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Loving it, writing from my wonderful Majorelle room. It is a delightful hotel, details are all ever present. The incredible renovation deco style. The lamps, the quality of the bed. The small touches, great products in the bathroom finally two pairs of men sandals in the room :>)

Plugged right in the art deco center easy to park nearby (once you have found the tiny street), you are set. Great bathroom with powerful shower. Lovely garden terrace. Difficult to beat if one likes small boutique hotel of high luxury. Come and enjoy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
LaurentDELORD, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Doge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

It is with pleasure that I read your message, it confirms my desire to continue the work of every day, looking for the best quality of our services. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

My girlfriend and I recently spent the final night of our ten day trip to Morocco at Le Doge. Overall, we were very disappointed with our stay. The only positive note was that we were booked into the Coco Chanel Room at a discounted rate. The room was well appointed and clean, but practical matters like having no shower curtain around the tub with a large shower-head that sprayed water everywhere and flooded the floor, is in my mind, a gross oversight and signifcant drawback to a comfortable stay. However, when I did ask for more towels to dry the floor, they were readily supplied to our room.

As it was the final night of our trip, we were tired and decided not to go out to a restaurant in Casablanca, but instead opted to dine at the restaurant at Le Doge. Given that Relais and Chateaux prides itself on the refinement of its accomodation and the "gourmet" quality of its cuisine, we were expecting a decent meal at best. When we arrived, the restaurant was empty and the maitre d' appeared with his sleeves rolled up and tie undone, responding to my request for a table for two with the question, "You want two beers?" We were seated and first given menus in French, which after some searching were later replaced with menus in English, even though it was apparent from the start that we were native english-speaking guests.

Before our meal, we were served an amuse bouche of foie grais, which tasted as if it had been frozen or refrigerated for an extended period of time. My girlfriend and I both shared a salad and ordered fish, and had three glasses of house morrocan red wine with our meal, if you could call it that. After the first bite of her fish, my girlfriend was sickened by its taste and could not eat any of her meal. Though my fish did not taste rancid, as hers did, it was only mildly edible and prepared with no flavor whatsoever. At that point, we both were ready to leave, but I decided to speak to the waiter and ask that we at least be compensated for the one inedible meal with a free desert and coffees. He first counteroffered a replacement etnree, as opposed to extending the courtesy right away of taking my girlfriend's meal off of the bill entirely and replacing it with something she could actually eat. With hesitation he agreed to offer the desert and coffees free of charge.

However, the following morning when we were at the front desk to pay our bill, the charge for dinner included two beers and a scotch that we did not order or drink, not to mention the incredibly overpriced glasses of house wine. Clearly there was a mix-up with the bill and instead of simply acknowledging our correction, the gentleman at the desk called the waiter downstairs to confirm this, and the waiter proceeded to question us if we had in fact ordered the said drinks. The drink orders were removed from our bill, but once again we were questioned by the waiter at breakfast as to whether or not we had ordered the drinks the previous night. To be honest, this is completely offensive and to say the least, a great inconvenience during checkout, especially when the front desk staff was struggling to explain the itemization on the bill as well as hesitant to rectify their own mistake.

I will say that the young woman at the front desk upon our arrival was friendlier and more helpful, but even the woman who showed us to our room seemed somewhat cold and unwelcoming. The car transfers from the train station and to the airport were timely and friendly, but twice the price of any of the other transfers we arranged with other hotels during our trip. Our poor experience at Le Doge was surprising and certainly a let down on the last night of a great trip, especially given the heightened expectations that are associated with the realais and chateaux brand. To other travellers, I would say, save your money and go to a friendly little B&B that we stayed at on the first night of our trip upon arriving to Casablanca, for more than half the price, called Dar Itrit, a little outside of the center of town, but worth the trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Robert C
LaurentDELORD, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Doge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I read your post with great interest. First, I'm so sorry for all these problems, unacceptable in my house, your account will serve me to correct bad behavior in all services specified.
I search with my staff, to provide the best service possible. I must be vigilant 24h24, 7/7. I have to work in this direction. I really wish you back to the Doge to show you all the improvements.
Again, thank you for this testimony.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Themeing rooms does not make up for poor service, my experience of this hotel started at arrival, when there was no porter to help with the luggage (he appeared halfway through check-in buttoning up his jacket and then made a great fuss of moving my luggage 2 meters). A receptionist who couldn't identify the hotel location on the hotel provided map, another receptionist lounging behind the reception desk sending text messages ignoring guests, is this really a Relais & Chateux.? The room was okay nothing exceptional, the furnishings were starting to look tired particularly the desk in our room which was chipped and scratched like something you might find in Motel 6. I am sure there are better options in Casablanca.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlobalNomad62
LaurentDELORD, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Doge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
It is with many regrets that I take note of all your remarks. I'm so sorry if they leave you a bad memory of our hotel. We work every day for the quality of our service and the errors identified are inadmissible. We will work to prevent this from happening again.
I wish I could talk to you, anyway, thank you for this witness that will help us grow even more.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

This hotel is quite small but the service is excellent. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. The rooms are beautifully decorated in the style of the art deco period. There is a spa and ham am, but it is small but service is excellent so if you want a massage and/ or scrub, be sure to book. There is good in house food service and at least two good restaurants within a two block walk GastroNom and the Moroccan Restauant in Riad Zitoun. On ly downside is that it is a little bit of a walk to the centre of town, but it is a pleasant walk, and the hotel has two cars available to drive you if you wish. You can get back fom almost anywhere by mini-cab for 10-15 Dh (<$2), although in the evenings prices may be a little higher.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
Thank you for your nice comment. It rewards our teams working all day at the best welcom as possible. But I also confirmed in our mission to always do more for our clients.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had a wonderful time at Le Doge, staying over New Year’s. It is conveniently located near the medina of Casablanca. Le Doge, originially an Art Deco Villa built in the 1930s, was an oasis of luxury to which we happily returned each evening after an intense day out and about in the city. All the rooms are beautiful, each styled with an individual theme inspired by a writer or artist from the Art Deco era, such as Josephine Baker and Scott Fitzgerald. We stayed in the Coco Chanel, which we loved so much that requested it again when we returned two weeks later. What made the stay special was the friendliness of the staff, including Mouazzine and Sanaa, and especially the kind help we received from the manager Laurent Delord, who helped us considerably by facilitating with all those tiny details that make all the difference between a good and a great vacation. Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay at Le Doge.

Room Tip: The rooms inspired by female artists (Josephine Baker) generally have a more ‘feminine' feel whi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hrutsch
LaurentDELORD, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Doge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

It was a pleasure to welcome you to the Doge and I am happy that my team was able to answer at your demands and desires, to satisfy you. Thank you very much and i hope to see you again in Casablanca.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

One of the most charming things we loved about Casablanca was the architecture and style. Le Doge is able to create the same through in this special little gem of a hotel. Uniquely designed rooms, very personal attention, and a level of care / concern of its guests that I haven't seen for years.

The team at Le Doge took extremely good care of us. Having dinner waiting after a (very) late arrival to a personalized tour of the city in their hotel car ... it really as a surprise and special pleasure to stay. Would definitely recommend the hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adlai_n_Ewie
LaurentDELORD, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Doge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Thank you for this testimony of your pleasant stay. My team has well arranged for this, your message encourages us to continue this quality in the differents services of the hôtel
Yours faithfully..

Reviewed 4 January 2012

Dear Laurent (General Manager) and the Wonderful team at Le Doge; Casablanca,

Thanks a million for making our time an ‘unforgettable’ one in Casablanca! Your hotel is truly a heaven with its tranquillity, elegance and fantastic interiors and not to mention the intriguing history behind the building!

Our Room; it was cleaned everyday with the upmost care and individuality and perfection – the girls were so courteous every time they greeted us!

The Restaurant/Bar; they always had smile in their face and food was yummy – thanks to the Chef, Restaurant Manager and all his professional and kind staff.

The Drivers; were most professional – please pass our special thanks to Mouhssein and Moustapha.

The Reception Staff; everyone was wonderful – Sanaa was very helpful and the lovely lady who checked us in on day of our arrival – please pass our thanks to all.

Breakfast Delivery for our Bedroom; was simply superb – breakfast was so extensive with fresh bakery and delicious cheese & ham, fresh fruit and most homely cooked omelette!! And it arrived exactly (second to second) on time as it was instructed! Very impressive…

Thanks very much again for the most relaxing and happy times in Casablanca and what an intriguing City it is too.

Look forward to visiting Le Doge again.

Best personal wishes
Happy New Year!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Derya K
LaurentDELORD, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Doge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

It is with great pleasure that I receive your congratulations and I am particularly pleased and proud that my team could make you a good stay in Casablanca. I am glad to see you again. I wish you an happy new year.