“Very good, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel”

Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Casablanca
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Very good, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Recommended for all people wanting to stay in the centre of Casablanca. I was staying there on business and had a great experience, one of my favourite hotels, very welcoming and the room was a very comfortable place to rest my head after the long flight over from Dubai.

A short taxi ride from the airport and one thing about the taxis is that they are immediately your best friend and will try and find out your movement in Morocco so they can show you around. The one who claimed my return visit to the airport as he was dropping me off at the hotel caused all sorts of issues, shouting and waving arms when he came to pick me up.

Anyway, that's an aside but a good thing to remember. Your choice. The hotel was in good walking distance of the main town/city and I tried to go out each night for a walk about... Not sure if that was a wise decision but I did it anyway.

Hotel food was good, price for stay was reasonable, think I got a good deal for flight and hotel through expedia so it was all prepaid.

Recommend to business and tourist travellers alike. Enjoy ...

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ukdcham
Thomas G, Directeur général at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We are more than glad to know you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche.
All your comments are already been shared we our teams.

This is the kind of service we are working for and we will be very pleased to welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Annecy, France
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a funky vibe with great staff at reception, the bar and lobby restaurant. They are very welcoming and attentive and always keen to help.

I liked the bar concept of an island in the middle of the room where you can even stand next to the barman while he mixes your cocktail. Very friendly and fun. The bar staff were excellent.

Same in the lobby restaurant. The breakfast selection was excellent, both buffet and a la carte, and the staff very attentive and friendly. Service was efficient, polite and professional.

I only have two negative comments about my stay. Firstly I had booked online in France on Accor Hotels own website, obtained an email reservation confirmation and number. Upon arrival at the hotel they had no record of my booking!! Even with the Accor reservation details. After investigation they said there was a problem in the computer reservations system between Accor and the hotel. So be warned, a reservation even if confirmed may not be enough.

Secondly, I would say that this property is clearly well used and is showing some signs of wear and tear. I was surprised to see cigarette burn holes in the seating material in the bar, moldy flaking plaster and paint above the indoor swimming pool and the hammam steam bath area was untidy with shower gel containers missing their tops etc. All small things but put together give the impression of a lack of attention by the housekeeping team.

It is undoubtedly the friendly professional staff that tip the balance for me up to 4 stars despite the wear and tear negatives above. I would go back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche.

All our Ambassadors work hard to get every guest satisfied, so it is always a real satisfaction when we share this kind of comment with our teams.

We noted the two points mentioned and we are working to fix it. The indoor pool is scheduled for renovation in a few days.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience, your comments will allow us to improve our service.

Best Regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed only one night in this hotel, we arrived in the evening from Agadir and had a flight on the next day, so we have not checked pool, spa, bars and restaurants except the restaurant where we had breakfast.

I booked this hotel because it's ranked #1 on TripAdvisor (I fear to imagine what is happening in other hotels). Negatives about this one below.

Well, to be fair - this place is average, they probably wanted to make it the best in Casablanca, and it could be the best for Casablanca, but not for the travellers who have seen other hotels and have other examples to compare. I could understand if this would be a regular or non-well-known hoteliers brands, but I would restrain travellers' expectations about this place.

Negatives.
1. We have booked Superior King Room, receptionist at the check-in said that my booking is for Classic room, when I have asked that I have booked another type, she said that Classic and Superior is the same, and we entered the room she said it's Superior - I have not quite understand, that type of the room is named on receptionist's wish or we stayed in the Classic room for the price of Superior? (not much difference, but it's a matter or principle).

2. We have booked a room a week before our stay, and it should be a room for two and Hotel staff should know about it in advance. When I went into the bathroom to have a shower I've found we have only one pair of slippers and only one bathrobe. Room was originally prepared for single occupancy? I called a room service, they didn't understand what I wanted from them (english comprehension problem apparently?), I called another service (guest room) and asked them the same, they understood and brought what I have asked.

3. Both basins have plumbing problems, were cluttered and water was draining very slowly. Toilet seat was broken, and toilet room itself smelled of mould.

4. We bought a lot of stuff in Morocco and it was our last night and we were packing our luggage for a flight. We asked concierge to arrange a duct tape (adhesive tape or scotch how they call it of any type) in the evening, he understood what we want and disappear. On the morning while going on breakfast we have asked for the same again - nothing, after breakfast my wife reminded concierge about the same again and I have repeated (so it was 4 times already). They said they understand want we need and they will arrange it for us shortly. Time for check-out and go for our flight - nothing. Luckily we have packed without a tape, but why hotel stuff promise what they can't do? That is the question.

Positive.
1. The bed was nice, large, soft and comfy.
2. It was nice to find a good desk in the room, where I could keep my laptop, check my email and work. We also like the panoramic view from the 12th floor and large window. It's lovely.
3. Breakfast variety was average, but food was nice.
4. The rooms have interesting design - you can watch a TV, while you waiting when water will drain after you washed your hands and to start to brush your teeth afterwards (see p.3 in negatives), a lot of black in the room - a bit scary especially during the night trip to the toilet (like you are walking in the deep space :) ), but memorable.

Hopefully management would read this and take the measures, so we would probably stay in this place again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlexeyKozlov
Thomas G, Directeur général at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are sorry that your stay did not meet all your expectations.

We have noted all your comments and the necessary steps have already been taken.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche. Your comments will allow us to improve our service.

We will be pleased to welcome you back at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche very soon.

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our family of six stayed two nights at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche. Our party was divided into two rooms and one suite. We checked out on the morning of June 20, 2014. The concierge of the Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche, at our request, made arrangements the night before we left the hotel for a van for our party of six to the train station for 400dhs. This is a very high rate, but we had decided that we were good generally paying a “tourist” rate, and we accepted this rate for the ten-minute ride to the train station. Once we had all loaded into the van at the front of the Sofitel and were holding luggage in our laps (all of us had one hand bag and one carry on item – the six carry-ons did not fit in the trunk of the van, but that was fine with us), the concierge of the Sofitel announced that the van driver was going to charge us 600 dhs because we had luggage. We informed the concierge of the Sofitel that this was not acceptable. The concierge had ordered the van, she knew that we were going to the train station with our luggage, and she waited until we were literally leaving before telling us that the price was going up by 200 dhs (from 400 dhs to 600 dhs for a ten minute ride in a small van). Sofitel controlled the relationship with the drivers and the taxis. The last minute increase of 200 dhs for a ten-minute drive was within Sofitel's purview to control given the hotel’s relationship with the driver, and the fact that this was already a wildly exorbitant charge to get 6 people to the train station. We are extremely disappointed in Sofitel. This kind of attitude - how can we extort money from our guests (fully loaded car, a tight schedule to the train station, limited options, last minute announcement of huge fare increase right as the van was ready to leave)? – is inexcusable. We are fine paying too much for the ride to the train station. We agreed to pay too much ahead of time. However, we expect Sofitel to act on our behalf in these matters and not to collude with drivers to extort money at the last minute from their guests. We will not stay at a Sofitel again. Stay if you must, but regard Sofitel as a hostile third party to your interests. We all got out of the van. We told the concierge that she should be ashamed of her behavior towards us and hired our own petit taxis. We paid 100dhs each for the petit taxis (this is way more than a local would pay – as I noted, we are fine paying a tourist tax). A bitterly disappointing experience at Sofitel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank sylviassmith
Thomas G, Directeur général at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Customer,
We believe your stay at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche was up to your expectations.

After reading your comments on Trip advisor we felt very concerned by the inconvenience that was caused to you upon the last minutes of your stay with us.
Your discontent with regards to this matter is noted and we are actually focused on avoiding such incidents in the future.

We long to inform our customers that Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche has neither control nor any kind of relationship with taxi drivers nor any intention to extort money from their guests.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience

Sincerely
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had one week here with colleagues end of January14. We had diner every night at hotel's restaurant we really enjoyed the mix of typicall moroccan food with european style. The hotel itself and rooms are large and fully equipped with flat screen, coffee machine mini bar. We had the chance to try the fitness room, equipped with last generation equipment and the swimming pool which was perfect to relax. Only negative comment would be on the quality of the bed which was slightly curved, therefore you may slide while sleeping ! Breakfast is quick and efficient with good varieties of meals. Check in check out process was quick and efficient. For sure looking at the situation of the hotel i will come back please just check the curve of the bed

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NoLimitsNoFruits
Thomas G, Directeur général at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us.

We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your diner at L’Atelier Oriental and we share your feedback with our Executive Chef, Mourad Mahfoud.

We have noted your discontent with our beds. At Sofitel, beds are a signature called “MyBed”, renowned for their very soft aspect.
In fact, for guests with a preference of more conventional sleep we do adjust the setting prior to their arrival.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Central location and good customer service, but the hotel falls far below the global standard for even 4-star hotels. Our junior suite included 1.5 baths which was a nice addition, but the physical design of the room makes no sense. Several parts of the room were in disrepair, including the towel bracket which was off its hinges, mold throughout the shower stall, and toilets that smelled of urine.

I took in a massage which was so awful I had to complain to the front desk. There were so many missteps not even worth mentioning here. However, Hinad the manager quickly remedied the problem by apologizing, removing the bill for the massage, and then providing me with a free massage. The free massage by Amal was great. I appreciated the staffs' hospitality and eagerness to improve.

My friends stayed at the Hyatt Casablanca and I visited their rooms. I'd say the Hyatt lobby is slightly more charming with Moroccan flare, but the rooms are slightly more worn. We took in dinner one night at this hotel and it was quite good.

I've stayed at the Sofitel Cairo which was even worse, but the Sofitel Washington, D.C. was great. In my view, Sofitel is riding on its name and has great potential and room for improvement. Cost of taxi from airport to hotel should be 250-300 dirham (and no more...not even for a tip).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mangosteen800
Thomas G, Directeur général at Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Custumer,

We are sorry that your stay did not meet all your expectations.

We have noted your discontent with the service during your first SPA massage and we are glad to know, after the action of Miss Hind you were able to enjoy the real quality of our massages.