Dar Attajalli
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Riad Layalina Fez(Fes)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmosaic roomroof terracevegetarian dinnerthe ownerdecorated with rose petalsstunning tileskindness and generosityorange roomrestoration processfabulous dinnerhand carvedmy husband and i spent nightsfour nightsdelicious breakfastdecorated beautifullytaginegreat attention to detail
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My partner and I originally planned to stay for a night or two, but instead stayed four nights.

Kleo's home, a restored Dar (like a Riad, but with a fountain inside) is absolutely stunning and the vegetarian food was wonderful. Our large and graciously appointed room was beautiful and Kleo took lots of time to make certain we were well taken care of both in the hotel and outside. She arranged for our Hammam as well as shopping expeditions and transfer to the train stations. We even went to dinner with her because we enjoyed her company so much.

Her small staff were very gracious and helpful as well, and the location (right inside the Medina) can't be beat

Room Tip: The Orange and the Purple Suites are lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed at Dar Attajalli based on previous TripAdvisor reviews and I'm so glad I did. This beautiful Riad was perfect in every way. Firstly, the location is off the beaten path, far enough into Fes-el-Bali (old Fes) that it's away from the really touristy part by the Blue Gate, but not too far deep into the maze of streets that is old Fes. Secondly, the interior is stunning -- gorgeous interior courtyard, meticulously restored, with beautiful spacious guestrooms. The rooftop terrace has incredible views out over Fes (I'll never forget standing there one afternoon listening as the call for noon prayer echoed out over the city). Thirdly, great food: delicious breakfasts that are a mix of traditional Moroccan staples with Western items. And lastly, the staff: the owner Kleo and her staff Amina and Naim could not have been kinder or more helpful. It's also very private -- I know there were other guests staying there while I was, but I rarely saw them. And: great free wifi which was important to me as I was emailing photos home every night! Bottom line: the perfect place to stay if you want to experience old Fes. It's the kind of place that thinks of every detail. 5 stars in my book!

Room Tip: I don't remember the name of my room, but it was on the top floor and it was very spacious. And such a comfortable bed!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Our stay at this gorgeous Riad was a highlight of our trip to Morocco. We stayed in the Orange Suite and it was beautiful, clean, cosy and homely. The whole place was just amazing. The food was sensational, with a real focus on natural healthy eating. The breakfasts were excellent, being full of flavour, and provided such a variety of well presented Moroccan delicacies. We also were treated to lovely herbal teas picked from herbs grown at the Riad, and had the best dinner of our whole trip here in the candle lit, roof top dining room. Kleo provided us with yoga mats, helped us with taxis, packed us a breakfast for an early morning flight, and always made sure we were always okay. This Riad is immaculate, there were so many lovely touches, and I truly looked forward to escaping back here in the afternoons and evenings. I would not stay anywhere else in Fez, and hope to come back and stay sometime again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is a beautifully restored riad that is run to perfection whilst still maintaining individuality and charm. The rooms are beautifully decorated in an authentic morroccan style but with your every creature comfort taken care of. The food was excellent, being heavily focused on what's in season, fresh and of good quality. There is a real focus on healthy and balanced living which is reflected in some beautiful herbal teas and homemade nibbles that are served on a stunning terrace which over looks the city. Kleo and her staff could not have been more helpful and we really valued their knowledge, suggestions and the effort that they put into our stay being so enjoyable. My experience of fes is that it is a vibrant, fun and chaotic assault on the senses and this riad is the perfect sanctuary to unwind in and help you appreciate the best of the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I would have loved to have given Dar Attajalli as effusive a review as some of these others, and that did look quite likely at first. Ultimately, however, I came away feeling more negative than I’d hoped.

The mauve room was very quiet and nice, the house is lovely and in a good location in the medina, the staff were great, and transfers from the train station and to the airport were hassle-free (including at 3.30 am, which I really appreciated). The owner also provided a pretty clear map of the medina, was helpful when it came to directions to various places, and arranged a very good guide for my first day.

I chose Dar Attajalli because I’m vegetarian and thought this might be a problem in Morocco (plenty of vegetables but the concept of vegetarianism per se a bit trickier). The dinners were lovely, but I wasn’t told how much they would cost and, my bad, I didn’t think to ask, assuming it wouldn’t be too much. But at US$30 per meal it really was, adding $120 to my bill. During a subsequent email exchange the owner apologized that she’d forgotten to tell me the price.

I would still recommend Dar Attajalli, but would also recommend making sure you get all extra costs upfront, including for dinners, guides, etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank NYC-Vegetarian
Attajalli, Owner at Dar Attajalli, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear guest

We were sorry to hear your disappointment as whilst staying here you kept saying how you felt like a princess. You also thanked us profusely for our generosity, for including you in social gatherings like art openings and dinners with friends, and making exceptions for solo in-house dining as you were a single traveller who didn't feel comfortable walking in the medina alone at night. We were happy to do all this for you.

Guests often say that our dinners are a highlight of their stay. They are lovingly prepared freshly to order and are a generous four course / 8 plate feast, well priced for the high quality.
There are no "hidden" costs at Dar Attajalli, that is not our philosophy. As you had booked dinner by email before even confirming the room, we didn't send a further email with costs for dinner and we indeed apologize that this got forgotten.
We are very sorry though that we not fully understand your complaint as on the first night of your arrival you were told the total price of the room and dinner. This included the special discount we were offering you as a single traveller. You then chose to eat in-house several nights after knowing this price. But maybe indeed we should have reminded you and repeat the price before every dinner. Thank you for pointing out that this might be necessary.

We still hope that the nice memories will prevail…