“A wonderful oasis of calm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riad Laayoun

and 1 more site!
Riad Laayoun
Ranked #5 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Chester, United Kingdom
“A wonderful oasis of calm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We spent a fantastic couple of days at Riad Laayoun - there's little we can add to the already glowing comments on Tripadvisor, except to confirm that Simo (Mohammed) really is the best possible host, Rachida really is a culinary genius and the Riad really is an oasis of calm in this amazing city. You must eat dinner at the Riad at least once (and if you do, you'll never eat anywhere else) - the salads were amazing and the tagine and cous-cous delicious. Breakfast on the roof terrace is unforgettable. Thank you Mohammed and Rachida for a memorable stay!

Richard, Sara and Will (UK)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Marrakech, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

My partner, son and I arrived on the eve of my 50th birthday to a warm welcome and the beautiful, calm and inviting ambience of this lovely Riad. From our arrival to mint tea and cakes with Jean-Claude and Simo, who made us feel immediately at home, to the delicious dinner Rachida had prepared, we relaxed immediately into our first night in Fes. Simo even wrote a birthday message in icing on my cake! Our room was lovely, and the Riad was spacious, with many inviting areas to chill out. Jean-Claude and Simo attended to our every need with grace and generosity. We would recommend this Riad to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anita K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

I recently spent 5 nights here at Riad Laayoun. I cannot adequately express my gratitude to Jean-Claude, Simo, and Rachida. They really welcomed me into their daily lives with open arms and warm smiles. As I was traveling alone in Morocco, Jean-Claude made an extra effort to make me feel safe and well looked after. He did more than his fair share, I must admit. I am incredibly grateful. I spent time in the kitchen with Rachida, and although I was a terrible mess, we both had some great laughs. Simo is such a warm and inviting individual, and I always appreciated seeing his smiling face in morning at breakfast. The riad is really beautiful. I was immediately charmed by all the details, the space, and by the architectural harmony. You just have to see it for yourself, really. The terrace is wonderful. The view is amazing, and it is a real treat to have breakfast on the terrace. I booked a suite for myself, and I am so happy that I did. The spiral staircase is something else! I loved having an entire sitting area to myself... Truth be told, I knew that I was right at home when I was dropped off at the meeting point. Both Jean-Claude and Simo came to greet the arriving guests, and I just knew that I was in for a real treat... A small piece of advice: organize a walking tour of the medina with a licensed tour guide in your preferred language. Jean-Claude can arrange for a guide to meet you at the riad. I was paired with Fettah, by my request. He was a wonderful guide and gave me an insight to daily life in Fes. I thoroughly enjoyed that experience. As well, Rachida's cooking is quite lovely! I had dinner 3 times at the riad, and each meal was delicious... Really, just treat yourself with a relaxing stay at this riad. You will not regret it!

Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

As when it happens to discover something rare and pleasant hidden in the heart of a chaotic city, the same feeling we had when stepping in the simply beautiful Ryad Laayoun in the middle of Fex medina. We spent few days in this ryad treated like royal guests! A place worth staying

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank allyginger
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

It was my second visit to Riad Laayoun, and I was greeted like a part of family. Jan-Claude and Simo are brilliant, as always, and Rachida prepares great food for the guests.

Short summary:

+ Simo or Jan-Claude will pick up guests at Place R'cif and guide you to the Riad. Riad is actually easy to find once you get to know the surroundings (enter market from R'cif, turn to right, first turn to left, first turn to right, turn to left once you reach stand/shop with doors in the middle of T-crossing, follow street till end, turn left and turn right - if it sounds complicated, keep in mind that whole walk does not take more than 2 min :D )

+ Riad is gorgeous! The beautiful charm of old medina, nicely decorated rooms, mosaics and beautiful terrace with amazing views - it is somehow warm and breathes hospitality of the owner.

+ There are only 4 rooms, so the Riad will never be too crowded with the people.

+ Rooms vary in sizes, but are all very cozy with attached bathroom and air condition.

+ Internet is available in Riad, although not in all corners of it. In any case, it is fully sufficient, especially if you sit in the lobby.

+ Food is great in Riad. And it is possible to negotiate breakfast menu :)

+/- No TV in Riad. Honestly, I recognized it on my fourth day there, and I really did not miss it. Maybe some people will have a need for it, but I doubt it.

There are some not so obvious extras that may stay in this Riad so pleasurable. Nice French or classical music during the days, slowly floating through mid day sunshine in Riad, full of joy "bonjour" by Jean-Claude in the morning, and devoted care by Simo - all these thing are priceless.

Honestly, when it was my time to leave, I started looking for the most crazy ideas how to prolong the trip... Did not want to leave at all. And now I am already planning my next trip to Fez, and I will stay in Riad Laayoun for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank icetealemon
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed 2 weeks in Morocco and finished my journey in the Riad Laayon in Fes.
It's with no doubts the best hotel in which I stayed in Morocco, it's beautiful and in the centre of the Medina. Jean-Claude and Simo are really welcoming and gave plenty of tips and advice. And the food from the brilliant cook Rachida is delicious! Too bad that I had to woke at 4am to catch the plane, a bit too early! But what pleasant stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

Some friends gave us the advice to go and book this address to stay for a couple of days in Fes. The Riad Laayoun is indeed a wonderful place!!

To get there we had to take small streets. Fortunately Simo picked us up at the arrival of he taxi and guided us through this maze.

Then when we opened the door of he house, we discovered an unimaginable place: it's beautiful, quiet and relaxing.

Jean-Claude, the owner, invited us to drink a tea on the terrace from where we have a amazing view of the medina: brilliant!!! And then Simo gave us some information about the Medina, where to go, what to visit and all good advice and freebies.

The Cannelle suite we booked is nicely designed and decorated. The bed is very comfortable and the bathroom is well equipped.

We had diner on 2 occasions at the Riad and the food was outstanding... and really hearty !!

We genuinely spent two wonderful nights and kind of had the feeling that, for a little while, we lived in another world!

Room Tip: The Cannelle suite was brilliant, quiet, nice decoration and really comfy !