Dar Houdou Guest House
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
All reviewstea and coffeecomfy beda lovely staydelicious breakfaststevedarmohammadmedinamoroccoheartgate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Located in the heart of the Fes medina this guest house is a total gem. The owner Steve and his great staff are extremely welcoming and made sure we had everything needed for a truly great stay. Just great.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is a great little guesthouse in Fes medina. Perfect location and perfect hosts - Steve and Mohammed are both very helpful. Brilliant breakfast in the morning, and electric blankets! Couldn't really have asked for anything else.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

During my recent three week visit to Fes, i slept in eleven different riads and dars. Dar Houdou was one of the top experiences.
Its location is amazing - just off the Talaa Saghira, one of the main arteries of the Fes Medina and literally steps away from the famous Bou Inania medresa. Easy to find, except that on the map it says it is in Tariana Kabira street, while it is in the other one - Tariana Saghira. The manager Mohammed, however, is very helpful to the visitors and can pick them up from the Blue Gate. I came right to the street and he met me there.

In terms of the services - this was the only place where they sat down with me, opened the map and showed me where we are and how to walk everywhere! Even though I said that I am familiar with the medina - Mohammed still did that! And I noticed that he was doing it with the other guests as well.

The interior of this renovated Dar is beautiful, very tidy and very well equipped! The only place where they offer water for free for the guests, and they let them also used the kitchen! The breakfast is very filling, European standard with fresh juice, water, hot drink, muesli and yoghurt, breat and pastry and jams.

The room I got was in the first floor with its own bathroom. It was very cozy, with a heater, a closet, even a hair dryer. What I appreciated the most though was the electric blanket!! I tend to feel very cold in the evening, and this was a real treat. Dar Houdou costs as much as a 3 star hotel would cost and yet it gives the service that exceeds it by far.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Orientoholic
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We made riads, hotels and hostels all over Morrocco during 2 weeks and Dar Houdou was by far the best we did: best location, best breakfast, lovely room and terrassa, we enjoyed so much our stay. A great time, thank you!!

Room Tip: The room on the roof is just next to the terrassa, which is enjoyable :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This year my sister and I stayed at this beautifully renovated riad during The Sacred Music Festival. What a treat. The perfect base , so convenient for music venues, restaurants , shopping , taxis , places of interest. The taxi was prearranged from the airport a definite plus . We received a warm welcome . Breakfast was more varied than ever with lots of locally sourced produce on the menu like honey , yogurt , homemade cakes and warm Berber fresh bread. The ability to make to make a coffee and have a homemade almond cake while relaxing in the inner courtyard whenever you wanted was lovely. We loved our room on the terrace. Sitting on the terrace first light with the sun on your face ....amongst the unusual potted plants with the birds overhead. A fine place to stay . Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I like the room off the terrace as you have the convenient use of the terrace as well.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family