“Cheap but dirty and noisy” 2 of 5 bubbles

Pension Talaa
and 1 more site!
Pension Talaa
Ranked #37 of 59 Speciality Lodging in Fes
“Cheap but dirty and noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed in a hotel on May 2014. The hotel is in a convienient location and the staff seemed friendly, the price is on the cheap side, too. The place is quite dirty and loud, though. The bathrooms look like they haven't been cleaned for a few years, and so do rooms (you don't want to step on the carpet). The terrace is quite big but there is nothing to sit on except one stool. The windows of the rooms we stayed in face the street - it was really loud even with closed windows. Kids played football in the street until 1am, which was no fun for us.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

I traveled to Fes in mid June 2012 and prior to arriving I called a few places to inquire about price and availability. When I called Pension Talaa the price was the same as the others (150dh) and they offered to pick me up at the bus station, which was a definite bonus. I decided to go with this pension and initially there was a warm welcome. The pension is very basic and located on a main lane in the medina, which means that if your room faces the lane it may be noisy.

I was traveling alone and as a female, it's important for me to feel safe where I am staying. So, to get to the point, I ended up not feeling at ease at this pension and I left after a few hours. The same guy from the pension who picked me up at the bus station, asked me to sit down to talk with him, which initially seemed fine. But then he mentioned meeting him later on the terrace for tea and touched my leg a few times. Anyway, I left my bag in the room (and had already paid for a night's stay), walked around and found another place to stay which was much nicer for the same price. The new pension said that I should be able to get my money back since I didn't disturb anything in the room. The guy at Pension Talaa made several excuses for not being able to do this and in the end I let him keep the money.

But then this guy continued to call and text me (he had my number from my initial call to reserve the room) for several days until I blocked his number.

So, especially if you are a single female traveler, don't stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Fes hotels

Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

though the pension talaa is well-located and some off the staff was nice, we woke up with bed bug bites everywhere ! after having to take a cab to a pharmacy (far away bc others were closed on sunday) to buy cream/pills (one of us had an allergic reaction to the bites), the staff was unapologetic and said this had never happened...though there is another tripadvisor review saying the same thing! worth paying a bit more for another place to avoid being terribly itchy the following week...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

The initially greeting is very friendly, especially since my name has arabic muslim routes. They treat muslim or people of muslim heritage with great respect. The took us to our room immediately. Unfortunately, due to our late arrival they gave away our reserved room and we were made to stay in a 3 person (we asked for 2 person room). They attempted to charge us more for this but later decided to keep it at the original rate of 150DRM for two people.

This is a very cheap price and you would expect all hostels of this price to be basic. In saying that, I would not stay there again. I have travelled alot and thought, whilst cheap, they could still have made it more comfortable for guests.

The rooms are hot and stuffy, with no airconditioning this was unbearable and I would recommend anyone to fish out an extra 50DRM and go somewhere else where you dont sweat and feel hot all night.

BATHROOMS: The showers were strangely positioned, with no where to hang belongings and locks that dont all work.

EXTRAS: They were no perks such as a common area, or anywhere to sit away from the stuffy rooms and everything came with a price. even when we asked to store our bags for half a day they said we had to pay, which usually most hostels are hospitable enough to do this without a charge.

NOISE: If you are alight sleeper this isnt for you. You have to open windows because rooms are airless but then you are surrounded by car horns and shouting locals. I am usually a heavy sleeper but even for me I woke up various times in the night. at 4 am the noise persisted. Lets keep in mind that this all could be due to the ramadan period where locals are out later.

I think it does bare basics, but had I known how bad I would sleep, I would have chosen elsewhere.

Room Tip: dont stay upstairs, its hotter there
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Rabat, Morocco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I've stayed in Pension Talaa several times over the last few years; its always been your standard, low budget hotel in the Fes Medina, but its got a super convenient location. However, I stayed there last week with friends, and I woke in the middle of the night absolutely covered in bedbug bites. My face, arms, and feet are still swollen and itchy. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE! In all fairness, we stayed in the 5-bed room, and only 2 of us were bitten, so you can play an infested version of Russian roulette if you'd like. I've never had problems before, so maybe the double rooms are ok, but I don't plan to come back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

little pension in the heart of medina.
good prices and best position!
the rooms downstairs were a little bit noisy..but upstairs were quite and sunny.
the showers are warm and clean (a nice lady work hard for it!)
the owners were so lovable!!
really good chat on that wonderful terrace..
hope to come back..inshallah!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anna_navone
bilbao
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

I visited Fes in September 2008, i chose that hotel 'pension talaa'. I stayed in it with my husband. I found it really nice and clean. The staff are helpful and serious. That hotel is well situated. it is in the center of old medina. it is near all the historical monuments.

• Liked — its property, situation, seriousness and security
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple