“It's your princely home in Fes”
Review of Riad Le Calife

Riad Le Calife
Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 14 November 2013

There should be more opulent Riads in Fes than Le Calife. The way Yasmine and Alex treat you though is what makes the difference. This elevates even the most ordinary abodes into a princely home. The couple were very helpful and attentive. It also helped that Yasmine's father owns a spa nearby (part of a hotel) so one can enjoy a hammam in a friendly establishment. It is called Palais Faraj.

It is located in the southern part of the medina of Fes and close to Avenue Recif. So it's a short convenient walk to any motorised transport. This is important if you intend to use motorised transport going from north to south of the medina.

We stayed in the Emaraude Room of Le Calife. A very elegant room, it has a spacious bath and good view of the patio. If one has difficulty in climbing stairs, however, ask for the Amber Room or the Opaline one. The former is on the ground floor while the latter is near the breakfast terrace, on the top floor.

The breakfast is served on the terrace which has a a panoramic view of the surroundings. With generous servings, one gets to be full enough to start the arduous task of walking through the souks of Fes. Occasionally Yasmine has special dinners like the one we had. Yasmine has a chef who is very good in roasting lamb. I did not get to taste it but my family who devoured the lamb, swear by it. Ask Yasmine about these dinners when you book. On the other hand, Yasmine's father owns L'Amandier Palais Faraj so you can head over there for an elegant dinner.

There is also a small bar on the ground floor if you want a drink in a very cosy and romantic atmosphere. A cup of coffee in the patio will also settle those frayed nerves from all the haggling one does in the souks.

If you are looking for a Riad with a pool and opulent bathrooms, Le Calife is not for you. If you are looking for a place with generously-sized rooms and suites and in one where you feel you OWN the place, then Le Calife is perfect for you.

Room Tip: If you do not like stairs, ask for the ground floor rooms.
There are newer reviews for Riad Le Calife

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in Le Calife and we loved it !.
Great atmosphere and decoration, wonderful service... that's what we were expecting.
We arrived to Fes by car and they sent someone to wait for us at the closest parking to the riad, so he could not only help us with the luggage but also get us to the riad, which is not an easy task.
Our room (Amathyste) was big, beautiful decorated, comfortable and quite. The ground floor patio, cool and nice, was a lovely place to share a tea after a busy day in the medina, and in the terrace, with its impressive view of the Medina, we had 3 very good breakfast and 2 even better dinners. Indeed, it's a must to have dinner at least once in the Riad.
The service is the one expected in a high quality hotel with a touch of friendship and proximity. Alexandre, Yasmine and the rest of the team made our stay a wonderful experience.
In other words: we loved it. This riad deserves its top situation in Tripadvisor-Fes.
(Please note that the terrace is in a high 3rd floor and most of the rooms require stairs to reach them so if you have problems with the stairs ... please let the Riad know to book the room in the ground floor ... and be aware that you won't be able to enjoy the terrace)

Room Tip: Amathyste was an outstanding room, but as with most of the rooms in the riad, there were stairs to r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I was in two minds about booking this riad when I planned my trip as I didnt think the pictures om trip advisor looked that amazing. I am so so so glad that I decided to book.

From the moment I made my reservation the staff were so helpful and acomodating. They replied to emails withon a few hours, arranged for a driver to pick me up from the busy train station and arranged a super early airport transfer for me.

The riad itself is so beautiful - it is almost magical. It smelt so nice (of orange blossom oil) that I purchased the fragrance to take home with me - and now my home smells the same! It si very close to the Medina (2 minute walk) which makes it even more fantastic!

The photos do not at all do it justice. It is absoltuely stunning. Everything is spotless and has been beautifully put together.

The owners, Alex and Jasmine, really go the extra mile. For example, we ordered a beer - which came with olives, crisps and nuts, we asked about the local wine - and two complimentary glasses were provided for us to try, and we had an early check out time - so they made us a beautiful breakfast - at 5.30 AM!!!!

We like to explore when travelling - but as the riad was so special - we decided to eat at the riad for our last night. The food was delicious and the service attentive, but relaxed. A great last night.

The owners have got this so right - it is difficult to make sure I have included every detail in this review. My advice would be to not hesitate to book. Its fab!

Room Tip: Opaline room lovely
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gemma M
Reviewed 1 November 2013

A truly wonderful Riad, this was the accommodation highlight of a 4 month trip! All the reviews below are true and honestly it is difficult to add to such glowing and deserving praise of the Raid. Please book with Yasmin, Alex and the lovely staff of Riad Le Calife!!

The rooms are large, beautiful, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. The food was first rate. The location? Ideal, seemingly tucked away yet with great view of the whole Medina in Fes and within walking distance of all the main attractions in the old town.
And, most importantly, the staff were absolutely lovely. Nothing was too much trouble and we were truly made to feel at home in this travellers paradise in the heart of Fes.

An incredible and memorable experience. 6 out of 5 stars.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I have spent time on every continent except Australia and Antarctica and we have stayed in a variety of hotels and eaten at a variety of restaurants; we prefer to be close to the local culture and appreciate the special opportunities to have new experiences in learning and seeing how changes are occurring in some very old and special places. So, it should not surprise anyone that to celebrate a milestone birthday my wife chose Fez as our destination because she had never been there and had seen my 1974 photograph of Seffarine (the Tinker’s) Square over our fireplace since the late 1970s when we married. She knew the Medina was where we wanted to spend our time; I wanted to see what had changed in the 39 years since my visit – our challenge was to identify a place to stay. Thanks to Trip Advisor’s reviews that decision was easy; we chose Riad le Calife.

Once our reservations were accepted, I began communicating with Yasmine and Alexandre on a number of matters. The logistics of getting to/from the airport were easily resolved – they arranged for us to be met and delivered and that happened without a flaw… although I must say that their driver’s limo taking us back to the airport at the end of our stay could have used some transmission work! Anyway, the other matters were much more important.

A bouquet for the room to welcome and celebrate my wife’s birthday warranted a couple of emails including my working with Yasmine on a suitable budget. Suffice to say the bouquet of roses with a very fragrant lily was beautiful and was as fresh when we departed 5 days later as it was when we arrived. What I could not have anticipated was a heart of rose petals on our bed!

But there was more to come. Fatima, a chef with extraordinary skills including pastry making – we learned by her performance, prepared a wonderful birthday cake for my wife’s first dinner at the Riad. This cake was not ordinary in any way in its taste or its design.

The bouquet, rose-petal heart, and cake were just the special touches to the three wonderful meals we had at the Riad and the daily breakfasts were perfectly suited to getting us started every morning. The wait staff is adequately fluent in the key languages and provides impeccable service always with smiles and good humor. At any time tea was available; we preferred the mint tea and had it cold when the temperature was hot and hot in the evenings. The common spaces were always available and, because there are so few rooms, sufficiently private to make the hominess of the riad very real. It did not take long for us to feel like guests in our friends’ Yasmine’s and Alexandre’s home rather than patrons in a commercial establishment. So, if you seek this sort of closeness and interaction, you will not be disappointed with this riad.

Our hosts arranged for us to have a guide to the Medina and a private driver to Meknes and Volubilis on a day-trip which was worthwhile and we’d highly recommend. As with all matters of this nature, my wife has summed up our experience best:

Over the years, we have travelled all over the world and we have stayed in many different types of lodgings, big and small, expensive and not so expensive and, as far as I'm concerned, yours is the loveliest, your hospitality is unequaled, and the value is priceless.

Thanks once again for taking such excellent care of us, and warm regards to both of you, as well as your wonderful, gracious staff, including your talented chef Fatima - the birthday cake she made for me was a little chef d'oeuvre

We both feel that Yasmine’s and Alexandre’s calling us their newest ambassadors whom they expect will share our experiences with our worldwide network of friends is warranted; we hope that this will strengthen even further the riad’s image as a friendly guest house and that it becomes an added reason for people to visit Fez and its Medina.

Room Tip: check the riad's web site
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JPDeA-43
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We loved our stay at Riad Le Calife!! Every aspect of the Riad was perfect. There were stunning rooms & decor throughout, the views and drinks on the rooftop terrace were unforgettable, food night after night was sensational and we had the most welcoming and caring hosts. Nothing was left to chance. Our hosts set up a day trip for us into the Atlas mountains which was wonderful as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Beautiful Interior - Check
Comfortable Rooms - Check
GOOD FOOD - Check

Don't miss the dinner here, when they sat its good its dang good! The hosts are multilingual the hostesses are beautiful...the service is excellent as well.