“Accolades Galore …Here is One More”
Review of Riad Le Calife

Riad Le Calife
Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My trip from Sydney to Morocco was a spur of a moment decision and I made no firm arrangements. It was therefore pot luck that I picked Le Calife in Fes on the booking.com site once I completed my High Atlas and Erg Chebi desert adventure.

I travelled to many other locations in Morocco over my four weeks there but Riad Le Calife remains my favourite place for sleeping, eating, day tripping and taking in the medina views from the rooftop terrace. The location is wonderful- close to the medina yet peaceful and easily accessible.

I so enjoyed hearing the background story of the riad from Alex and Yasmine, its owners, and spent quite some time looking at the beautiful interiors and decorative pieces collected by them over the years in Paris and Morocco. The design and interior decorating is aesthetically pleasing throughout, in both private suites and the public areas (the courtyard, dining/breakfast room, reception and the rooftop terrace).

The Emerald suite on top floor was wonderful and comfortable- the tiled floors, the stained glass windows and window grilles and shutters combined with modern bathroom and super comfortable bed made for a wonderful stay.

Moving to food – Fatima is a kitchen artist (see photos) who creates dished that embrace and enhance the traditional Moroccan cuisine and she presents many of them with an imaginative twist. I chose to eat at the riad most evenings because the food was so good. It was also a good place to meet other travellers and I made several wonderful contacts with mutual standing invitations to visit.

Yasmine and Alex can be proud of their staff – Dua and the other reception lady (whose name now escapes me), were skilled and caring and made sure that my day tours including drivers and guides were well organised and reflected my needs and wants. Dua made a special trip up to my room to bid me farewell as she was going on her days off. The young male waiter (name?) was most attentive whether I was eating in the dining room or on the rooftop terrace. I was always grateful to be fetched from the square at the end of my adventures in the medina and the staff have always been courteous in the face of my obvious “directional deficiency”.

I would love to return either again by myself or with my husband and family. As the Moroccans say “Inshallah”.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lucyna M
There are newer reviews for Riad Le Calife

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Superb accommodation that is peaceful and calm in the heart of Fez.
A beautiful Riad, that is very clean and finished to a high standard with a excellent restaurant for evening meals.
Spacious rooms, lovely courtyard and roof terrace.
Excellent service from the staff and owners who are always around to help plan your day.
Do not let the car parking arrangements put you off or you will a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: If you do exactly as the Riad instructs you upon booking re parking your car, you will have an hassl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

All we can say is the owners, Jasmine and Alexandre have overlooked nothing when it comes to top notch customer service and satisfaction! Their entire staff follows up on every minute detail or possible concern. The riad is beautifully appointed and you can tell how much thought went in to making it special with all the beautiful antiques. After 11 days of all Moroccan food we expressed our need for something different. Their other family owned hotel/restaurant, Palais Faraj, is outside the medina situated on a hill overlooking the town and medina. Spectacular view and spot on customer service! The food was very good (my husband really enjoyed his sirloin steak with mashed potatoes) and he insisted I visit their spectacular bathrooms just to be wowed. If you don't want to stay within the walls of the medina, Palais Faraj should be your pick. If your goal is inside the walls, count on Alexandre and Jasmine and their fine staff to take very good care of you.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Easttowntraveler
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I do not think we could have chosen a more hospitable, more beautiful, more perfect riad for our stay in Fes. Sadly we were at Riad Le Calife for just two nights but with help from Alexandre and Yazmine, we made the most of our short time in this intriguing city. After staying in a couple of other lovely but more basic riads in Marrakech and Boumalne, we appreciated the more luxurious feel of Riad le Calife. Service was also a notch above our other experiences with a gracious staff happy to help in planning two perfect dinners and a walking tour that maximized our exposure to the many lovely parts of the medina. Our only regret is that we ran out of time at the end of our trip and did not have another night to spend in Fes.

Un grand merci à toute l'équipe du Riad le Calife et à nos hôtes Alexandre et Yazmine en particulier! A la prochaine!

Jeff + Rodney

Room Tip: We loved our stay in the Topaz suite.
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We booked the diamond suite which is literally breathtaking. The room is huge and wonderfully appointed with an eclectic mix of antiques--imagine an old radio, European side table and a wooden Occidental headboard. There is a lovely sitting area with almost floor to ceiling windows with stained glass. The bathroom has a huge tub, shower room, double sinks and a separate toilet room. We have two entrances. I could go on and on. Breakfast was lovely with too much food with lots of variety.

If you want to splurge in Morocco, this is the place to do it. (I think it's my favorite hotel room.)

The only downside is finding the place the first time. Try to get good directions before attempting it.

Room Tip: I've only seen one other room but the diamond suite is amazing!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at this wonderful Riad between 13th - 20th Feb 2014 & its was magnificent. We were in the Emerald room & decor was elegant . A lot of thought has gone into the room & attention to detail is amazing.

We loved the variety at breakfast & the orange juice is best that i have ever tasted. On one of the days, we had dinner at the Riad & the food was exquisite . I had the lamb tagine & it was outstanding. I had lamb tagine at another restaurant but it was no where as good as what Fatima prepared for us.

I would most definitely recommend this Riad & you feel right at home with the personal touch that you receive from Yasmine, Alex & all the staff at the Riad.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to find Riad Le Calife to be a four star accommodation. The Riad is absolutely beautiful. The architecture alone is amazing and the decorating impeccable. We had the Amber Room right off the courtyard and it was absolutely lovely and very comfortable. The owners, Jasmine and Alex are outstanding hosts. It is their mission to make you feel at home and they succeed with an A+! The rest of the staff is outstanding as well. Always making sure you have everything you need or want. Breakfast was very good with an assortment of breads, fruits, hard boiled eggs, olives, cheese and meats, fresh juice, coffee and tea. We also had dinner at the Riad, which again, was very good and not too expensive. They also have a full bar which is a great place to relax. The location is excellent and not far from one of the main gates of the Medina. We highly recommend Riad Le Calife, and should we return to Fes, we will not hesitate to stay there again.