“A really amazing find”
Review of Dar Melody

Dar Melody
Ranked #27 of 223 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We travel a lot, on many continents, and I would rank this little gem in the top 5 places I have stayed. Very well priced, excellent breakfast, very creative and thoughtful, and hosts Bernard and Laurence were always looking out for us and offering their help. I would also add it is a little hard to find and they came to meet us at the taxi. You have to walk about 5-10 minutes from there and it would be almost impossible to find if you did not have an escort! Even a map is insufficient if you are not familiar...
It was very easy to book the room using email, they are prompt and did not mind my high school French!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zialucia

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The medina of Fes is a labyrinth, a maze, a hectic, vibrant bazaar. In such an environment, the ideal lair for a traveller, is a refuge, an oasis, right in the thick of the action. A launching pad for adventures and a home away from home when your feet and eyes and mind are weary, to find solace, relaxation, comfort and a much needed solid slumber.

After our gruelling coach trip from Merzouga, during which sleep proved impossible due to a dangerously sick native, retching and vomiting constantly for 10 hours, clearly in need of medical attention...and the heat from our jaunt in the Sahara, still throbbing in my bones, we arrived in Fes in darkness, an ungodly hour, at the central train station.

I was so damn happy to be off off off the bus that it seemed wonderful enough to merely be placing my anxious paws on terra firma. Words had been sent by email to Lawrence and Bernard regarding our arrival.

My hopes are rarely placed confidently in strangers, so after realizing we had arrived rather early, booking our outward train tickets to Tangiers at the station, my elation faded and I began to lose faith...but out of the darkness appeared a car, as described in our correspondence with the Dar Melody owners, and Bernard was quickly flagged down. Salvation in a Bernard!

Sincerely, Morocco can seem often like stepping into another realm, where everyone and anyone is trying to prise gold nuggets from your wallet. You become wary and weary...and suspicious.

So imagine the scene...haggard, happy, then worried, Bernard appears. His english wasn't great but his body language was accommodating in every measure. I tried to speak french, which at first he appreciated, but soon realized I could go, only so far. For no extra fee, Bernard drove to meet us at a horridly early hour, and proved amiable and jovial!!

Arriving at Dar Melody, we found ourselves tardis-esque heading through an ancient door into what seemed like a palace. Lawrence brought us tea, english and coffee. The two of them came across as warm and wonderful hosts.

Our room was fit for visiting dignitaries, four poster bed, gorgeous décor, soaps and aromatic delights aplenty in the bathroom, looking out onto a wonderful terrace, where we were mightily happy to relax, play scrabble and enjoy a great view of the surrounds after a hard day of fighting our way through the souk.

Lawrence kindly organized a guide for a reasonable fee, who gave his best, took us to the best sights, and was clearly well known to the locals. A good price for a good day...I just wish I had asked him to lead us home when the tour had finished (he DID offer!), for my confidence in our whereabouts quickly sunk to unease, soon after parting! Two hours later, after haggling, just to pass the time and take something useful from walking around the same part of the maze for the umpteenth time, we were home in our sanctuary.

Breakfast was sumptuous, help was at hand whenever we desired it and overall, I must say, that Dar Melody, thanks to the beautiful building and top class hospitality, was one of the most comfortable places where we stayed during our four months of travelling.

The position is perfect. The hospitality supreme and very hard to match. The accommodation is plush and perfect. The price is a steal...

Overall, I would heartily recommend Dar Melody.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed in Dar Melody in Dec 2013 and had a little trouble getting to the location. We did not realize that no vehicles can bring us right to the hotel's doorstep, and we had a lot of touts and young men demanding us to pay them to take us to the hotel. They offered us to sit on a donkey which will take us to the hotel..but some of the work animals there look so overworked and exhausted, we refused to partake perpetuating their abuse. But once we made our way there, we found the place really warm and inviting. The décor is beautiful and very comfortable. So, please have the foresight to request for a train/airport transfer. But we had some difficulties getting back to the hotel daily, we are just not very good with winding alleys and we had nasty experiences with the many touts who keep bugging us, one called us racist for not allowing him to lead us to a hotel, another said that they know where we live and will wait for us so he can take us to see some bargain products. Dealing with them are so exhausting and unpleasant, so do try to completely ignore them and not even speak to them.

The hotel room we were provided is on the top floor, so you have to brave yourself for the climb, but the winding staircase is exquisitely decorated with tiny ceramic redolent of the Moroccan style that it makes the climb worth it. The room itself is so wonderful and roomy, the ceiling is decorated with carved / engraved colored wood, and we saw the exact same design in a museum at Meknes! It is really nice to escape the craziness of the Medina and hide away to recuperate. Best still, we had access to the open balcony overlooking the entire Medina, we can hear the call to prayer reverberating through the area, children playing drums, cats and birds resting before scavenging for food and even the bailing of a goat who is stuck up on a roof.

The hosts are of course helpful and wonderful. They take pride in providing a breakfast set that is so pretty, it should be called art! Please do not expect a full hotel-style buffet spread, breakfast is home-made delicacies and pastries, omelettes, with fresh juices, coffee or tea. The hosts helped us get around the Medina, changed money for us and even provided dinner when we were down with food poisioning and did not dare to risk a meal in the Medina.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My friend and I stayed 3 nites at this place. We arrived in Fez via train. Got picked up from the train station by the owner himself. He showed us the view of the Medina from top of the hill. really pretty. We walked thru a maze to get to the hotel passing a horse stall and a market. I would say getting picked up is key. Anyway, long story short here are the key reasons why I like this place:

1. Owners were super nice - we asked lots of questions and they are always so friendly.
2. The Menze room was amazing - big and full of character
3. Breakfast was great!
4. location is awesome! inside the old city.
5. Buidling itself is amazing - when u first walked in, you will be really surprised by how beautiful the inside of the building.

I had a great experience staying here. But keep in mind, I stayed in 2011. I had to put Feb 2013 on the page cause Trip advisor doesn't let me go back that far. At the time, Dar Melody was number 1 in the rating of B&B. I don't know what happened. Maybe it's partly my fault for not reviewing this establishment back in 2011. So the rating slipped.

Overall tho, I would stay at this place again. I will come back!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the same room that I did if you can. The Menze room. it's at the top and has a big bed in...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Riad is beautifully decorated, a tourist attraction itself. The owners are really friendly and helpful. However the location is not so good, difficult to arrive (we hired a transfer to the riad when we arrived) and there is just one option of restaurant to eat at night ( that it´s a fantastic typical morrocan restaurant ) . To walk around Fez you will need,at least the first time to hire a guide. The owner advises the guide to Fes and also to Meknes and Volubilis. The Riad has an affordable price, value for money. The breakfast was delicious, made by the owners, the best of our trip.The room is huge and personalised, my son was happy to have his own room with toys and books. We could notice the attention that the owners gave to each detail from the breakfast to the room. If we came back to Fes we would stay in this Riad again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

WE enjoyed our 3 nights at Dar Melody. The room was very comfortable and spacious . The heating could be better. The entire Dar gets cold and the room especially the additional one for the 3d person could do with better heating. The breakfasts were lovely and had a variety of bread everyday.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My partner and I had great hotel experiences in Morocco, and Dar Melody was no exception. We had 5 nights in Fes, and spent all at Dar Melody.

The owners, Laurence and Bernard, met us in a nearby parking area after we arrived via train to Fes. A young boy with a cart loaded up our plentiful luggage and hauled it through the winding alleyways. This was a relief, because the Fes medina is a labyrinth of hilly, narrow streets. Laurence and Bernard made sure we were neither lost, nor stuck lugging our belongings through the vast and somewhat intimidating marketplace.

We arrived at a small door at the end of a dark alley. That small door opened up to Dar Melody, which is a tall and gorgeous 350-year-old building that feels a lot like a castle. Our room was big and comfortable. All of the amenities were functioning superbly for such an old building, including heat and hot water. The breakfasts were incredible feasts each morning. We felt very spoiled at Dar Melody.

Laurence and Bernard also arranged for us a half day tour around the medina; and a full day tour to the nearby Atlas Mountains, Swiss village, Berber village, and a few other stops.

Staying at Dar Melody was my favorite part of our Fes trip. Laurence and Bernard were warm, friendly and welcoming--they really made us feel at home. As an American, I absolutely marveled at staying in hotel that is older than my country. It was a great experience.

If you are staying in the Fes medina, I highly recommend Dar Melody. We had a wonderful time there!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple