“Happy Times...”
Review of Riad Verus

Riad Verus
Ranked #34 of 221 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2011

If you are looking for a taste of "Moroccan hospitality" and "Riad Living" this is a fantastic place to stay. Both Leanora and Noor are welcoming, charming, efficient and hospitable and baby Leela was one of the highlights of my stay! The architecture is impressive and the roof terrace is "chillaxing" and offers a great view of the Medina and striking mountain backdrop. Riad Verus attracts a variety of cool, sociable and interesting people from far flung places and has a homely feel: from the moment you step in the door, you feel comfortable and welcome. Yusuf, the guardian, is very kind and accommodating, going out of his way to make sure you get where you need to go. I had a Hamman experience (twice) which was well worth the 100 dirhams and the staff know the best places to eat and hang out and are happy to advise you on where to go. My time in Fes was made even better by choosing to stay at this Riad and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 May 2011

I like this riad, first it's really beautiful, location is really good and safe, staff is friendly and from roof terrace is very beautiful view.
I stayed here twice. nice place

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2011

our arrival in Fez was slightly fraught; my partner had had to leave his walking stick in the UK. Within half an hour, Yusef had found a replacement (his father's!) and we couldn't have had a better welcome. The riad is simply gorgeous and our room was super, comfy bed and lovely mix of traditional style and modern. They also ordered us a taxi when we were passing back through Fez and bumped into Yusef again - we were slightly lost and getting rained on! Thanks to all for your warmth and hospitality, will return to enjoy the lovely roof terrace

Room Tip: they all loooked great
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2011

Thank you for your lovely review and we are delighted that we could make your stay so memorable and help out in the emergency walking stick incident!! Great that you could come back before you left and we got another chance to say goodbye and hear all your stories of the time inbetween visits. Best of luck from us all here.

Reviewed 25 May 2011

I was unsure what to expect as it was my first time in Morocco but we were received with a warm welcome at Riad Verus and I felt like I was at home. Only a much nicer and more exciting home. We had everything we needed including helpful tourist information and advice. The riad is also in the perfect location for exploring the city, which is filled with so many exciting things. We all wished we could've stayed longer!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This was the first place I stayed in Morocco after a 30 hour grueling journey from Asia. Needless to say I was looking for a long night's rest and a comfortable stay. When we arrived, I was shown a bunkbed room without a private bath. This was completely contradictory to what was told to me by our agent when I made the booking (after inquiring with the riad manager, she was told by the agent that I wouldn't need a private bath--who makes decisions for adults like this??!!??). Since the place was overbooked, there was nowhere else for me to go. I dealt with the bunkbed room. We stayed there 3 nights. I had to ask for shampoo and soap each night since this is apparently not commonly offered by the Riad. My friends had a room with a private bath and 1 night we came back and their room was not made up. I wouldn't recommend this place. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank jefeskisouth
RIADVERUSFES, Manager at Riad Verus, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2011

Extemely upset by this review as when the agent made the booking I had been informed that it was a family staying and hence placed you in the family room which has interconnecting doors and hence one bathroom for the room. When I saw that it was 2 separate travellers and you werent comfortable about sharing the bathroom I had no other option as the hotel was fully booked but to show you where you could shower, as it was a shared shower room perhaps the other guests had used the products as these are stocked daily.

As for your travellers room the day that the room wasnt made up the guests had not handed in their keys to the maid on departure and the maid had assumed that the guests hadnt wanted their room made up on purpose, there is a sign on the door asking all guests to hand in keys and in the event that they dont the room will not be cleaned as a sign of privacy. Trust this clarifies and Im sorry that your experience was tainted due to misleading expectations of your room by your travel agent.

Reviewed 18 May 2011

Fes is remarkable because it's like coming to Bethlehem in the middle of the desert, The narrow, quaint streets have a charm and atmosphere we just didn't find elsewhere in Morocco.
Riad Versus is a fabulous small hotel right inside the Fes Medina, a 200 metre stroll from the Blue Gate and the two main streets in the Fes medina.
This traditional Riad is charming: central courtyard, beautiful islamic mouldings, tiled faience, rooftop terrace. The room was large enough for a kingsize bed (very comfortable, slept well), sofa, LCD TV, and fridge. The bathroom was in traditional Moroccan riad style - all functional - all good. Breakfast was great, but the pastilla we had for dinner was the best we had in Morocco - light, delicate and flavourful. It was excellent.
The real charm of this riad is the owner Leonora. It was such a comfort to have an English speaking host who saved us from the professional tourist touts with her excellent emailed advice on how to find her hotel and what hazards to avoid. By taxi from the station, it was quick, easy and cheap (a surprise given our experience with Moroccan taxis). We survived with "La Shukran" (no thankyou) and managed to cope with the endless pressure from 'would-be' friends who only want your tourist dollars. The touts rely on fear, uncertainty and doubt to frighten you into accepting their services. Leonora had a good network of guides who were honest, reliable, and fun. And contrary to the touts' fearful advice, they weren't more expensive. Yes, there are four flights of stairs to the terrace, but Joseph is incredibly fit and manages to carry 25 kg cases to the top with ease. Fantastic support for weary travellers.
If you're looking for a traditional riad experience, we would recommend Riad Versus in Fes not only for the establishment, but for the service, the price (good value for money) and the sense of safety it provided.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RiadVersusFes

These guests were 2 of the nicest people we have had through our doors. Thank you for your kindness, conversations and warmth, it was a true pleasure having you to stay and wish you all the best for the future together.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Riad Verus was a great place, beautiful hotel and great service. Will definitely stay there again when I go back to Fes

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Delighted you would highly recommend us and you had a lovely experience. Means so much to us to receive your feedback!