“Great find through hostel world”
Review of Riad Verus

Riad Verus
Ranked #34 of 221 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Really loved this riad! The riad is beautiful in itself, architecturally and just through tiny details like t he door knocker and engraving in the wall. The double room provided a great night sleep (no complaints of noise from me) and had a gorgeous interior. The breakfast was a great start to the day with pastries, cereal, yogurt, fruit, milk, tea and juice. Also had a tagine that was to die for while there. We had a warm welcome and no problems at all while we were here. Don't think this place gets enough credit for it's location either, it's right beside the medina which is where we spent most of our time and a 90p taxi journey into the new town. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thanks Kirsty for the review and we are so pleased you found the Riad to be beautiful, that you loved your time here, that the attention to detail and Maroc art was precise and that you had no complaints about noise and that you were warmly welcomed, we are also delighted you loved the good free breakfast we provide and that you thought the location was excellent.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I had very high expectations for my stay at Riad Verus but unfortunately left feeling rather disappointed. The Riad looked beautiful and the reviews had all been positive, it really did sound too good to be true. Having travelled extensively I have never before been compelled to write a review, but the comments on this website regarding incentives for positive reviews encouraged me to do so, if just to give other travellers a more unbiased opinion.

The Riad was indeed a beautiful building and the Moroccan staff extremely helpful and friendly, the manager I’m afraid did not come across quite so well. She had a very school mistress like manner and where this may be acceptable to some guests I found it to be unnecessary and in all honesty quite patronizing. I do understand that a certain air of authority is required when holding a managerial position, but you should not sacrifice mutual respect and a smile for this.

I left after a few sleepless nights due to loud music and parties being held on the roof. It is a very noisy riad, I am aware that due to the general design of the building you will get sound travelling, but sometimes the noise level, not just from other guests, was excessive.

I wouldn't return to the Riad Verus, but I'm not saying that it is not suitable for anyone else; it does have more of a backpacker feel to it which is great providing you are not paying hotel prices which in this case you are.

In conclusion, a brilliant location, beautiful building with a great roof terrace, just sadly let down by the noise and attitude of the manager.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank jetgirl4

I am really saddened to read your review and that you found my character to perhaps have clashed with yours, this is the first time to have read a review as such and since reading this I have taken into account what you have said and I am sorry that I was viewed in your eyes such. I am sorry about the noise levels, we have taken what clients have said on this site and now we just do one Disco night in the week and the rest of the time we have evenings downstairs with lounge chill and smooth house until 11pm and then if all the guests want to carry on partying and there is complete consensus in the house we open the upstairs. Since the start of August we have had no such complaints. The nightclub for the most part now is more of a chilling den and we do sheishas and lounge.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

The place is nice/ clean, easily found, close to the old town, beautifully decorated, has good local staffs, great breakfast, fast wifi, free computer.

However, the host was not that warm, judge it yourself on the below incidents:

1) I arrived in the afternoon and while I was waiting for my room to be ready, I was sitting on the sofa in the common, the manageress, a British lady, was there with her friend (arriving about the same time) sitting right next to me, while the manageress ordered mint tea (which I later found to be complimentary) for themselves without asking me if I wanted some.... weird.

2) Later I walked around and found them in the roof terrace again chatting, I asked if I can join, while her friend was nice enough to say yes, but this manageress said no..... weird

3) I asked for a local guide for touring around, but the local guide didn't show up.... but the manageress was not sorry at all.... ok, I thought they were not really meant to "manage" the tour, but that is very NOT true as I later found out.

That night I met a nice couple from US and found they also asked for the local tour and we agreed that I could join them to share the cost (according to the manageress, it is a fixed price for up to 4 persons), however, the next morning the Riad initially didn't allow me to join as they said I didn't asked for the Riad's permission.... although I joined the couple on the tour eventually after the manageress ALLOWED, but I was really pissed off by their attitude..... They should have asked the couple and me to see if we can go together as it was their mis-arrangement caused me missing the tour in the first place!!!

4) You can tell that my experience was solely with the manageress but not the owner , that is because the owner, the Moroccan gentlemen, never smiled / talked to the male patrons there, basically we are invisible to him.

I mean this is NOT a BAD riad, just when you see all the positive comments and ratings, you would expect something better. But then I know a reasonable cause for the positive ratings.. they encourage patrons to put comments on the riad during their stay in exchange of something free (see the attached pic)..... I do not think this is appropriate at all.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank the-mister-lau
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thanks for your review and let me clarify things please.

When all new clients arrive they are served tea or asked if they would like tea, but I have never seen a new client sitting down and joining the Manager for tea per se.

Me and my friend were having a personal conversation and although my friend was polite enough to say you could join I did not think it was appropriate for a client who I do not know to come and sit with two women and listen to their personal conversation, so yes I did say No you could not join as it was the appropriate thing to say, all the more so in Morocco as it would be totally disrespectful if my husband were to find me conversing with a strange man without prior consent, this is a cultural difference and my prerogative to turn down an invitation.

I am sorry if you found my judgement calls unfamiliar but I would not have felt comfortable.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

I just spent 4 days at Riad Verus. It's a beautiful riad, very clean & well run by Leonora (the manager). It's also very tastefully renovated & has a nice ambiance. I stayed in a dorm room & was impressed with the ensuite bathroom, the roominess & the fact that it was serviced daily (by very lovely & smiling Moroccan staff).

My first night was relaxing, there was some very pleasant lounge music playing at low volume & this was turned off by 11pm allowing guests to have a good night's sleep.

However the next two nights were not the best. I (and other guests) were woken at 1.40 am by loud music & drunken people dancing & squealing on the roof terrace which went for a hour. One of these people was the owner of the riad. The soundtrack included hits from Grease & salsa music. It was impossible to sleep. I accepted this as being part of staying in a riad catering for young people. However the next night was worse....the music (same soundtrack), dancing & drunken squealing went on until 3am. The music went off at 3am but still it was impossible to sleep for another hour due to people talking loudly. I could not go & ask for the music to be turned down as the terrace door was locked & no one could hear my knocking anyway.

I know that I was not the only person who was disturbed by the music on both nights, as many of us met bleary eyed at breakfast the next morning & complained to each other about the noise. I also got to talk to the guests that were up on the rooftop...they independently told me that the riad owner told them that the room was 'sound proof' so they could make noise which would not disturb the other guests. They were very embarrassed to hear that it was not.

I am all for a party and I love music but I do think there is also the need for mutual respect. When you check in to this riad, you are asked to read & sign a document which is about respecting the riad & the other guests. I was more than happy to do this......but respect is a two way street & loud music until 3am is not respecting the needs of guests who want to sleep.

Luckily on my last night, the music was turned off at 11pm. None of the guests wanted to party & declined the invitation to go up on the terrace.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Lisa B
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Thanks for your review Lisa and for finding the Riad to be beautiful and for finding the management of the hotel to be well managed, for the hostel to be clean, staffed with lovely people and good daily maid service, large dorm rooms and nice ensuite bathrooms.

I would like to address the points you have raised in this review. At 1.15 a group of 6 arrived from the train station and as the Riad is an open space the group were not that quiet and went up to the roof to the bar upstairs to try and minimise the noise, the group went to bed at 2.30.

With regards to the 2nd night of noise one of the guests was having a birthday, all the guests were welcome but some went to bed at 1pm, including yourself and the roof was shut in order to minimise the noise and about 3 people carried on partying. When the door is closed for the bar the noise is confined and if you close your windows and turn on the AC the sound would have been muffled out. On the websites we do advertise that there is a nightclub open til 3am and that the Riad is not a place suitable if you are over 40 years old and want total peace.

I am sorry if you felt unrespected and if there is anyway I can make it up to you then please do let me know.

Sorry Lisa.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I really just wanted to like Fez so badly. After a mediocre time in marrekech I was excited to give Morocco a second chance. Coming into Fez I felt more comfortable right from the beginning-- or so I was hoping. When I arrived at the riad I was immediately impressed, there was light lounge music playing, and they greeted us with the moment we walked in the door. Things took a turn for the worst the next evening. After having quite a frustrating day on the city, to say the least, I came back to the riad to hang out, gather my things, pack them up and get everything because I had to be up early in the morning to catch another train. Well as I went to bed the street noise from outside of my window made it a little difficult to fall asleep immediately which I am fine, I understand my surroundings. The part that I am not fine with is that after I had fallen asleep, at 1:30 am what i assume to be the owners started playing Greese Lighting followed by salsa music followed by straight club music started blazing out of speakers on the roof top terrace. This quickly escalated to louder music and more "club screams" from girls. Needless to say I am still awake and writing this at 3:00 am. There is no point in going to bed now because I have to be up and 5:30 to catch a train and even I wanted to there would be no way I could go to sleep as the party keeps escalating with more lights, people, and louder music. Now please don't get me wrong. I am all for partying and dancing and that is fine but an unsolicited start up at 1:30 am... I think the after party should have moved somewhere else just out of respect for the other guests here at the riad.

• Stayed: June 2012
6  Thank Atrain1516
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Unfortunately this review refers to the same birthday party night. We are so sorry for the noise made and if there is anything that we can do then please do let me know to make it right for you. The music did turn off at 3am and since the complaints were received there has not been any parties on the roof. Despite Riad Verus being a young persons party hostel we also understand that guests would like to rest and from here on in we will be enforcing a tighter policy on noise and mutual respect. We have a nightclub in the hotel as it is not safe for females to go out in Fes at night alone for a drink and a dance and we like to create a safe environment for young people to have fun but perhaps we need to re-look our position and find a happy medium for all.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

The hosts are fantastic. Nor and Leonora took care of us well. Wi-fi was strong everywhere, including rooms (very important for me). The place is beautiful and well-upkept. There are a bunch of activities that are organized thru the hotel and they are generally good, albeit some - like tours of the Medina - differ from group to group based on what it is your want to see in the Medina. The prices for activities are a little high by Moroccan standards, but still cheaper than paying fir it in Europe/Canada, plus they take away the hustle of having to organize your own tours. Usually I like to explore cities on my own terms, but Morocco was way to overwhelming even for me - having the hosts take car of that aspect gave me the chance to relax a bit after the headache of train travel and taxi drivers in Morocco.
Tip: DO NOT make ANY friends with passengers on Moroccan trains who offer to help you or give you tours of their home towns. Moroccans have their own lives to live instead of spending an afternoon with tourists. They may be nice to you and you probably aren't going to get hurt, but they ARE con artists who'll just show you around from one shop to another where you're gonna get heavily pressured to buy goods.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nf floor to avoid climbing the steep stairs all the time up to 3rd floor.