“Riad Verus”

Ranked #39 of 216 Fes B&B and Inns
brisbane
“Riad Verus”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The Verus is a genuinely lovely place to stay. It is fitted out beautifully (extraordinarily so for a budget etablishment) and the owner and staff really make it a very pleasant stay. Before I even arrived Leanora was being kind and helpful with advice and trip arrangements and from the minute I arrived she and all of the staff made me feel very welcome. Leanora also gave very helpful advice about my onward journey. Fes is a wonderful city and the Verus crew will help you make the most of it, whether simply by way of advice about your own independent adventures or by way of the numerous activities that they organise. And most importantly, after a big day exploring this beautiful but also beautifully-crazy city, you will feel good coming 'home' to the Verus.
Being someone who really likes peace and quiet and is quite noise sensitive, I'd probably suggest that if you are the same you don't stay in rooms 1 or 2, as they open onto the lounge room / common room which is rarely quiet - mind you that is not a criticism and the busy-ness and happy buzz of the common room is another indication of how at home guests feel at the Verus.
The Verus is on a quiet peaceful sidestreet but just a few minutes easy walk to all of the action - the perfect combination.
Breakfast is very good for an included feature in a budget establishment.
For the price bracket, you won't find a better, friendlier, or lovelier stay in Fes.

Room Tip: Being someone who really likes peace and quiet and is quite noise sensitive, I'd probably sugges...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 December 2013

If you are a young bloke looking for a bed to chuck your bag on and head straight out to the city then this is probably an excellent choice. There is a lot of information around about activities you can do and there is a young "hostel" vibe to the place. Having said that we had a very dissapointing experience which resulted in us checking out three days early. Our initial complaint was around a lack of hot water available to us and a dirty bed which someone had clearly been sleeping in (later replaced by wet sheets!) We then felt that given this we would nt have a comfortable stay and offered to pay for that night and cancel the remainder of the booking. This was to noor, the other partner in the business. Quite frankly we were appalled at his attitude which was both aggressive, unreasonable, rude and threatening. As two females travelling together we did not feel safe to stay and on that basis chose to cut our losses and leave without any refund. In fairness to leonora she did contact us afterwards to offer us some money as she had been able to re rent te room for one night at half the cost. Overall it was a very upsetting start to our time in fes. This does not mean that it's a bad place to stay. You just need to be comfortable with what you are getting into, I would also say that I would think twice about recommending this place to any single female travellers or young females on the basis of how we were treated.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank amyenvacances
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed in this riad for two nights about two weeks ago. The place is beautifully decorated and clean and reasonably quiet. It is a bit hidden away but the staff are helpful in orienting the guest so they so they do not get lost! Yussef who has been mentioned in several reviews came to meet our taxi which was very helpful. It calls itself a hostel but as such is not cheap - definitely more expensive than hotels we stayed in in Marrakesh and Tangier and with less facilities. They did not clean the room for example and the bathroom was extremely basic - just shower with no curtain or other accessories.
The breakfast was fine but FRESH juice would be a great improvement. as mentioned it only starts at 9.30 which is really too late.
We had an unfortunate experience there which coloured our whole stay, unfortunately. We had made a booking for one night and paid for the room when we checked in on our arrival. I asked if it would be possible to stay an extra night and Leonora said we should confirm the following morning.
The following morning I asked if we could stay the extra night and Yussef made a phone call and said it was fine and we could have the same room. I asked him if he would like me to settle the account straight away and he said there was no need.
We spent most of the day out and came back to the room at around 16.00 for a while and then went out again and came in around 21.00. At 23.15 there was a knock on the door and a rude demand to settle the account straight away! Two of us were already asleep in bed! I understand that they want to be paid of course but they could have asked at 16.00 or at 21.00 or if they didnt see us come in they could have left us a note on the door asking us to settle the bill - knocking on the door at that time of the night was definitely unpleasant and indicates the managements general attitude to their guests.
I will not be staying there again or recommending to friends - quite the contrary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ruth S
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thanks for the review and for finding the property beautiful and the helpfulness of the staff. I would like to clarify that rooms are only cleaned if the guest leaves the key at reception or with the concierge downstairs on departure, this is explained on check in and there is a notice in your room about housekeeping and you didn't leave the key - hence the assumption was that you didn't want the room cleaned. Unfortunately it is not orange season and the only juice we can get in October, November is Tropicana, which we feel is the closest to the original. The bathrooms are wet rooms in your room and as such do not have curtains so apologies if you would have preferred an enclosed bathroom instead. With regards to payment i was not aware of you returning at the times given and was in a tight situation as had a supplier to pay that evening and your reservation was the only one that day and i had a tight cash flow situation, otherwise i would have waited til the morning. Yes as your rightly note Fes is way more expensive a destination than Marrakesh or Tangier. I was saddened to read your review but have taken note of the points raised and we wont make the same errors in the future. Thank you.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I don't normally write reviews, but this hostel in which I stayed in Fez deserves one. It is without question one of the best hostel experiences I have ever had. Last year, as an exchange engineering student, I booked many trips throughout the year but was pressed for time to plan them. As such, I arrived in Morocco with only my first night stay in Fez booked that this hostel. The lady at the reception spent nearly two hours with me helping me book my modes of travel, hostels, and hidden treasures to see in Morocco. She saved me weeks upon weeks of planning and helped with pleasure! This mentality resonates throughout the staff and made this stays one of the best of my year long European experience. 5 Stars, hands down.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thanks for the review and yes i do remember you, i remember how we sat down for what was about 2 hours going through your itiniery in minute detail. thanks for finding the hostel to be great and that your stay here was one of the best of your euro trip.
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is THE hostel to stay at in Fes!!

I travel a lot for work and leisure, and this hostel was by far the best!!

I never write reviews, even for places that were great or horrible, but I felt that I had to write this review because it was that amazing of an experience!

The hostel is a riad with a central place for people to hang out. I felt safe, it was beautiful, location was right next to the old medina, and the staff was INCREDIBLE (which is an understatement). The staff was willing to help plan any excursions you want! I just wish I could stay longer. They even threw a birthday party for one of the guests! Talk about GREAT HOSPITALITY!!

They had great food, alcohol available, complimentary mint tea and breakfast, and helped plan your trip to and from the hostel.

I am planning to come back to Fes and stay at this hostel. I am telling all my friends and colleagues to come to here!

• Stayed November 2013
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
We are so pleased you found this to be the best hostel experience ever and that you reckon we are the hostel to stay in in Fes. So pleased you found the hostel to be safe and that the location was ace and it was beautiful and staff by such helpful people and the hospitality was great. Yes we have great food and serve alcohol. tea and breakfast are complimentary. Thanks for spreading the word. Much appreciated T
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed at Verus two nights recently, and had a great experience. The location is easy to get to and from by taxi (watch the youtube video they send you after booking), but also close walking distance to where you want to go as a tourist. The best thing about the riad is the familial atmosphere. The first night I got there, right after I arrived, I went downstairs and met some other travelers who I ended up having dinner with, then hanging out with for the next day and a half. The staff is very nice, and helpful as well. The terrace is a good place to relax, including two hammocks to rest in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thanks for submitting the review and we are so pleased you found the Riad easy to find and that it was close for all the things a tourist could want and that the best thing about the Riad was the familiar vibe and the atmosphere inside amongst other guests.
Sintra, Portugal
Reviewed 17 October 2013

i stayed 3 nights at this hostel and it s amazing. it s got a fantastic moroccan decoration, very clean and delicious breakfast.
noor, yousuf and all the others everyone was very helpful.yusuf has good tips if you re traveling to other parts of morocco, what to see and visit.
the showers worked amazingly good, the rooms were very clean and coxy.
there is a very nice terrace, with a fantastic view of fes, and it is walking distance from the medina.
really enjoyed my stay here!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
We are so pleased you had an amazing time in the hostel and that the fantastic decoration and cleanliness and delicious breakfasts are remembered fondly and that all the staff were so helpful and that the showers worked well and that rooms were cosy and clean and you liked the views from the terrace.