“Riad Verus is a very convenient stay”
Review of Riad Verus

Riad Verus
Ranked #37 of 215 Fes B&B and Inns
Fontainebleau, France
“Riad Verus is a very convenient stay”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We heard a lot about good reviews. Owner is very hands on so it's good. Location is very nice as well and the rooms are clean. You might find it a bit pricy but don't forget the city tax. Also the atmosphere is really nice and the breakfasts are amazing

Room Tip: Just ask the owner she is transparent
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hostel could be such a nice place. It's located near the blue gate in the medina, has a beautiful interior decoration, the breakfast is good.
BUT there is party music / dance music every evening until late into the night. While this may be nice on the first evening when you have a beer in the atrium, it sucks very soon, especially if you want to sleep. All the rooms are located so close to the atrium that it doesn't really make a difference in which one you live. And worst: This "music" often stops very late after midnight.

Room Tip: Do NOT go here if you want to sleep during the night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Marten S
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thanks for the review, when you arrived I did mention that we play loud music and I gave you a room further away, for someone who complained about the music you were downstairs most evenings in the patio and even paid to stay an extra 2 nights in the hostel. I was most saddened to read the review as we did try our best to accommodate you and even organised a taxi to the airport at a discount price for you.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Having heard so much great write ups about the RV we went to stay there to see if it lives up to its name, the place was alive, so great when you stay at some doss hostels in Morocco with no atmosphere, this put the rest of the places to shame. We had a free bottle of wine as were on honeymoon and we were treated with respect and shown a great time, the only regret was leaving, The Riad is well maintained, clean, the club is one of the highlights and the rooms spacious, modern, nicely decorated and with great linen. I liked how it was marketed to the younger end of the spectrum, the laid back attitudes, late breakfasts and how the wifi was a dream.

Room Tip: Best ones are 5 or 8.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
We are so pleased you found the Riad to be the best part of your Morocco trip and you loved the ambience and the bar and all the services and facilities we offer.
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hostel is stunning. A short walk to the medina so the location is great. You can buy food/drinks here but they are the expensive side. A plus, you get a complementary breakfast that lasts until 11:30. The rooms are cleaned daily and the bathrooms are super nice, even in a shared room. Nice fluffy blankets and I liked how I could easily exchange money here. I was told that there would be someone there to pick me up from the airport and not to go with anyone else. After waiting 2 hours, I just took a taxi and had no idea where I was really going and got scammed by local boys who showed me the way and then asked for money. When I asked what happened, the staff seemed to blame it on me because I didn't email them again confirming again the day before. Stay here if you want access to different actives and to just relax in this beautiful riad, but expect the staff to be rude and only semi- helpful.

• Stayed April 2014
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thanks for the review and we are pleased you found the Riad to be so beautiful, with regards to the taxi pick up, this was my fault, i acknowledge that, I hadnt submitted it correctly to the driver and as a compensation I am paying 50% of your return taxi, I am sorry that you got scammed by little kids. Pleased you liked the cleanliness of the hostel and the comfy beds and blankets.
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It was just terrible . First , the riad is so so dirty , there were so many cockroaches . I met a Slovakian guy and he said there were at least 3 on his bed . Then , he asked for help , the staff just roughly spray something and said they were gone .At that night , he had to sleep in my room with a sleeping bag on the floor . Second , it was awful if you want to sleep . The owner claimed there was party every night . However , it was just very loud dance music from the hi-fi starting from 4pm to at least midnight . If there were some people enjoying the music , I should have no reason to complain but the point is even though there was no one in the lobby , they kept playing the loud music . That was just ridiculous . There was one more thing pissing me off ,which was the doorbell kept ringing early in the morning . I finally discovered what was going on with that on the last day.There was a staff coming to the hostel to work but she got no key for the door and there were no other staff helping her to open the door.So she has to keep ringing the bell until one of the staff woke up .Unfortunately , before someone opened the door , she has already woken all the travellers up .Third , I had no private bedroom in the bedroom so I had to use the share bathroom and toilet . The problem is that the toilet on the second floor has no basin and tap for washing hands. Also , there is only one
" clean " bedroom on the ground floor and the one on the rooftop is still having mud on the floor .So every night , there were so many people waiting for one bathroom .Fourth ,the staff dont even know some very simple english words . I am not saying all staff have to know english but at least they should know those words like "where" "bathroom ". Fifth , the breakfast time is at 9:30 . It is the latest breakfast time I heard in a hostel . I always think of the meaning of setting this late breakfast time . Sixth , the telephone number they gave in the reservation sheet is the fax number . You probably cant call them for help and to know the hostel location .Finally , the owner was not trustworthy . She promised to give us a room with private bathroom as we reserved on the second day . However, she cheat on us and finally we slept in the room that was not like the one we reserved . Lastly , I suggest to ask for the special method for opening that main door because without the skill , you probably cant open that door when you wanna go out before 8:30 am . It was the lesson I learnt after being trapped in the hostel and missed the bus to other city .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Loyihin
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Most upset to read your review and i would like to clarify some of the points raised. You arrived a day early and we altered your booking, the only room i had available when you arrived was a 2 person bunkbed room with shared bathroom and i offered this to you and said that we had a few options, take this room and the next day change to the original booking or keep this room for 2 days at a reduced price and you chose the later minus the deposit. I explained that the riad played music and on the nights you were here the music went off at midnight. Stated on the check in it says that if you plan to leave before 9 am then to tell us so that we can open the door for you, you must have known that you were getting an early bus but not once was i told that you would be needing to leave before 8am. On the day you left the door was not locked but on the catch and you need to push the door and then upcatch so that it opens. Since the incident we now have a night watchman sleeping downstairs and explain to all our guests how to open the front door if they leave before the maids arrive. Just to make it clear, the number you have on your booking form is not the fax but the office number, I think that when you were trying to call the number you were inserting the country code plus the zero, the zero you need to ommit however when you enter the country code. As for the cockroaches the Slovenian guy was not staying the night he just needed somewhere to rest til 1 am when he had a taxi, the room i put him in yes had a cockroach in the bathroom, instead of just killing it and then waiting til the clients had left the room we sprayed the drain which encouraged others living in the drain to emerge, big mistake as you can imagine. In April this is the period when cockroaches are most visible it is a hot and wet month and the breeding season, in general our hostel is clean but we cannot account for all the sewer state in the medieval city and if the odd cockroach emerges we will do our best to erradicate it. As for the bathrooms, for the dorm rooms sharing a bathroom there are only 6 people in the busy period who would be using 2 shower rooms. As for the missed bus we are sorry you missed it and we did fully refund your bus tickets plus more as a sorry. all the best,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The riad plays loud dance music from 4pm to at least midnight. Because the rooms are all located around the central courtyard where the music is and there is no sound proofing, it basically feels like trying to sleep in the middle of a club regardless of what room you're in. On the second night of our stay, there wasn't even anyone in the lounge area but the music persisted undaunted. During the first night, the noise continued until 5am. Also, we paid for the room with a larger bill, and the riad management never got around to making change despite multiple inquiries. We ended up just giving up on getting the money back.

On the plus side, the place is pretty clean, the decor is pretty, and the price is inexpensive (although if you calculate price relative to hours of sleep, the value is actually terrible). If you're looking to party, you'll probably really like this place. If you're looking for actual sleep, however, I'd strongly advise going elsewhere.

Room Tip: Nowhere is good if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank daikonite
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
We are sorry that you didnt have a good time in the Riad and you found the noise to be an annoyance to you, I am most surprised about the money situation, if you could please let me know your name then I will check with my records and reimburse what i owe you, but it is most unlike me as i always return change to clients.
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Let's be clear, this isn't a "party hostel", this is a "owner plays music all night because he feels like it despite guests complaining" hostel. Luckily for us, our group was happy to be up late and had a room that wasn't too affected by the noise but the rest of the rooms open up directly onto the central courtyard where you have pumping dance music till the early hours. This would be cool, if it weren't for the fact that most people are just chilling out and relaxing, they aren't partying.

The property itself was nice and seemed to be well looked after. Lenora who seems to be the manager was really really helpful and very accommodating. I think if she was actually in charge the place would be a lot better off.

Basically, it's run as a lifestyle business for the young brazillian owner and he doesn't give a crap about his guests!

Room Tip: Roof terrace room less affected by noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank ywouldi
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thanks for the email and obviously we have taken into consideration of what you have said, I dont think its a case of Noor not caring that the clients are having a good time, we want to create an atmosphere which is upbeat but you are right, we do need to get it to a level where there is a good mix of chilling and uplifting beats.