“Probably the best in Fes!”
Review of Riad Verus

Riad Verus
Ranked #38 of 216 Fes B&B and Inns
“Probably the best in Fes!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The staff is amazing, very kind and helpful! They have a nice structure and are located inside the medina. The hostel also has good recommendations of guides and attractions.
Rooms are comfortable, and very clean!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Riad Verus was our first stop on our Morocco holiday. Quite easy to find if you follow the signs in the street and in a safe neighbourhood. Was offered tea on arrival and our room was ready early which was much appreciated! Leanona ran the place like a well organised head-master and within a few minutes we had signed up to that evenings hammam visit, city tour the next morning and a camel trek to Marrakesh which saved us catching the overnight train as we were previously planning to do. Room was small but clean, bathroom didn't have much ventilation but we found that to be a common occurrence throughout Morocco. Tour with Muhammed was a blast - we did get taken to a couple of carpet shops, pharmacies etc but was all quite friendly and didn't pressure us to buy anything. Enjoyed a beer and an amazing sunset on the roof terrace with fellow travellers. There was music and lights in the lounge in the evening but they were all at a reasonable level and didn't bother us too much at all. Definitely recommend Riad Verus, especially if you want to socialise and don't mind a little bit of late-night noise.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up will have less noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Upon arriving to Fez, our taxi driver picked us up without any issues which was coordinated by Leanora. As we checked in she recommended we check out the local hammam - which ended up being one of the coolest experiences of my life. That night we ate a delicious dinner and drank wine on the hostel's terrace. The next day a group of us did the excursion out to the Sahara - rode camels into the desert and camped out for a night. I highly recommend doing this! Great way to see the country and you get to make several stops along the way. There's a ton of organized activities to take part in and Leanora was always very willing and flexible in helping us out. We did the cooking class - went to the market to buy the ingredients and came back to cook in the hostel. We also went on the tour with Muhammed, great guy who knows the city very well and speaks English. I can't imagine trying to navigate the city on our own...too easy to get lost. Be prepared to bargain and hold your ground if you plan on making any purchases! Beautiful place to stay with great decorations. I did see a dead cockroach but I guess it didn't bother me as much as some of the other reviewers. Take advantage of all there is to do at this hostel! They're great about always giving you a guide - I always felt safe! Stay here for sure.

My ONLY complaint is the funny smelling bathrooms but its totally manageable...I don't think I've stayed in a hostel that doesn't have a funny smelling bathroom. It is true that loud music and strobe lights are on until around midnight or 1 am, though they never seemed to bother me or my travel companions as we were usually downstairs enjoying a bottle of wine. But I do agree that the music could've been turned down/off at an earlier hour. I can certainly see how it would be frustrating for other guests! Regardless, this is a great beautiful place and Leanora was very helpful to us. This hostel really lets you take advantage of all Morocco has to offer!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sao Jose dos Campos
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed there for 3 nights, two in a single room and 1 in the dorm. The single room is fine, small with a private bathroom, and the noise is not a problem. The only issue is that it is not very clean, the floor was full of sand. The dorm is a trap. It is good, but the hotel website does not leave clear that it is aside the lounge, and during my stay, they had a disco all nights in the lounge, which means a lot of noise. Again, this is not written in the hotel website, so take care. Other than this, its location is very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was a lovely place with a great atmosphere. The staff was friendly and suuuuper informative! The breakfast alone definitely made it worth the stay. The mint tea when you get there sets a good mood. I recommend the walking tour, especially if you're with a group.

• Stayed May 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and i stayed for two nights in riad verus.
The first night there was some loud music played from a laptop in the atrium where most of the rooms where looking out on.
When it became 23.30 and the music was still as loud as sleeping in a club i went down to ask if the music volume could be turned a bit lower.
There where some guests sitting in the atrium who told me that it wasn't their music but from the owner and they turned it of. They told me that they also had the same sleeping problem the night before because of the loud music. 5 minutes later the music went back on again with the same loud volume. We called the number the owners wife had gave us that day to use if there was anything she could do for us. We asked why the music was on that late and she told us that it wouldn't less longer then midnight. So we waited until it went of and fortunately it did as she told us at midnight. The next day there was loud music again, we tried to sleep but couldn't because of the noise.... So we waited until midnight for it to be turned of.
Unfortunately it didn't went of but we wanted to give it a chance and waited a little longer. The music was that loud you could here it true the earplugs. So eventually at 1.30 my husband went downstairs to ask if they could put the volume down as we were trying to sleep. The owner and a few customers were drinking and didn't care much about him. They made some stupid jokes like "oh what, do you want us to put the volume up?". They lowered the volume a bit but as my husband went back upstairs they put it back loud again. So he went down again and asked again the same question. they eventually stopped the music but went on with loud talking, laughing, screaming. We finally slept when they went to bed, early in the morning...
The next day we tried to ask the owner what was going on that night before and the only thing he could say was that he made a mistake. We asked our money back for the last night, as we didn't sleep much and the room we stayed in was 60 euro a night. He didn't wanted to do that and obviously didn't care at all about us not happy with the situation. I guess the owners only happy thing in life is to drink and play loud music even if his guests are not happy with that. He even played loud music when there was nobody in the whole atrium.
Beside the music our private bathroom smelled awful and there was a window between our room and the room next to us where you could look true and see your neighbors!! So the title "private room" is not really that private.
We left with a bad feeling. We planned to come back here at the end of our trip, but no way that we're going to do that. Even if i get payed i wouldn't sleep there anymore. This place sucks big time!!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Melanie B
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

For me it was the second time I visited this place. The first time was in september 2013. It is an expensive place but the first time it was ok so I decided to come back to Riad Verus with my wife. I never have seen a place change that bad in a such a short time!!! For two nights we paid 120 euro for a private room with a really bad smelling bathroom! This was including breakfast what starts at 9.00 am. I think that's late, but I knew this before because it was my second visit, so accepted it. Also what was included was every night mega loud music untill midnight or much later!!!! The first night it was at 11.00 pm and my wife asked some guests very friendly to put down the volume, because we couldn't hear eachother talking inside our room. The told as it was the owner (!?) of Riad Verus that liked the music loud! The Volume was a little down for 5 minutes, but after that they turned the volume to maximum again.
The next evening was even worse. The music went on till 2.30 am and I was so awake that I almost didn't sleep all night! It was again the owner and I had to ask two times before the turned off the music. Almost all the rooms are connected to the centre atrium so it's like your bed is inside a nightclub. Earplugs didn't work because the music was to loud.
The next morning a tried to speak to one of the owners, because I didn't want to pay € 120,- for being a hole night awake. A guy how worked at Riad Verus noticed that I wanted to complain. At that moment he told me that he didn't speak english very well. He was lying because 5 minutes before I had a normal english conversation with him. At the end the guy woke up the owner, who reacted very arrogant and didn't care that I didn't sleep all night.

If you like really loud music all night long and no sleep, this is the place to be!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple