“a big let down, not worth the price”
Review of Riad Verus

Riad Verus
Ranked #30 of 213 Fes B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“a big let down, not worth the price”
Reviewed 8 December 2010

This riad was the last stay on our three week journey through Spain and Morocco, staying at numerous hotels and riads. This was the most expensive place we stayed at (we stayed in the 90 euro per night off-peak caecilius room) and it looked great in photos so we figured it would be top notch. Were we wrong. Furniture in the rooms was cheaper quality than IKEA, both the tub and sink drains were clogged, the bathroom always had an unclean smell to it, bath towels were cheap and disintegrating, and the heating didn't work. Also, you will be feel like this riad is trying to get you and every last penny you have. A few examples (charging for mint tea and the hookah which is complimentary at all other riads we stayed at, a 3 euro per bag fee to "watch" your bags on your last day, or cheaping out on the "moroccan" breakfast which is bread/jam and yogurt). I've never written a review before the frustration we felt staying here warranted it. Do not stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Aditi S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Tahoe City, California
Reviewed 12 November 2010

i will never forget my memorable stay in Fes, and it would have never been the same experience without the wonderful staff at Riad Verus. When my friend and I arrived, they were celebrating the birth of their new daughter... live arabic music, a traditional moroccan dinner and an extremely friendly environment of family and friends greeted us. Our room was gorgeous, decorated with exquisite hand-crafted furniture and linens, which I later witnessed being made, while exploring the narrow maze of streets with Aziz while learning about the historical significance of the Medina, it's people, and their craft. In the evenings, a collection of traveler's and the many friendly faces of the Riad would socialize on the relaxing rooftop terrace with a little wine, mint tea or hookah, sharing music from around the world. The wifi internet connection was perfect throughout the 5 levels and breakfast was plentiful (and served late, thanks!). Thank you for making my stay in Morocco something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I hope to be back one day!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 7 November 2010

me and my friend darlene stayed in riad verus for 2 days in our 10 day journey in morocco and i must say it is the best riad we've stayed. i love their interior design, wifi is free, they assisted us in a guided tour in the medina, our room is clean and their staff are helpful and friendly. i would definitely recommend this riad to anyone of my friends who will be visiting morocco in the future. More power to Nor and his staff Yosef, Samira and Hassan. Goodluck!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
sevilla
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hostel was more than accommodating even going out of their way to be helpful. It has a wonderful decor and ambience coupled with genuine customer service(tours, food etc.) When I go back to Fez i will stay here again and again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We booked this Riad based on reviews and website information including the pretty photos of the Riad and information were hoping to stay in a more discerning choice of accommodation less so than a budget/backpacker style hostel.

When we checked into the Riad, we found it to be decorated beautifully and we were treated to Moroccan hospitality consisting of fresh mint tea and warm baked cookies. The staff were genuinely welcoming and informative.

We were only taken back by the fact that the Riad catered more towards budget and backpacker type travel and that the Riad felt at times if it were at full if not in excess of maximum capacity given that some travellers were given lounge beds to sleep on and some even took to sleeping in the the lounge and adjacent entertaining areas. I would suggest if taking a twin bed or triple room that you ensure there are no susbtituted lounge or sun beds.

Also, finding this place by taxi can be a hassle and we spent more than triple on the fare given the amount of time it took for the driver to find the address. The hotel is close to Bab Boujloud (a main gate of the Medina) and if you remember your way from the gate, it will be much easier to navigate by walking or alternatively by directing the driver.

Overall, an okay hotel in close proximity to the Medina but do not expect more than good standard budget accommodation.

(On a separate note, the dinner was the best we had tried in Morocco- the cous cous was the best I have tasted in the world and the breakfasts were amazing and substantial - more than what we were given at other Riads and Hotels)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I stayed in Riad Verus for 3 nights, and came back again for 1 night after going into the desert for a trip organised by Aziz and the lovely folk at the riad. My stay could not have been better, or easier. The location was fantastic, and pretty easy to find again after wandering the maze of the Medina. I had organised a taxi pick up through the riad which was there waiting for me at the airport which was a welcome relief, and saved a lot of hassle. The mint tea and biscuits on arrival were delicious, and Mohammed, Noor and Youseff were extremely welcoming hosts, making me feel right at home. Being a solo female traveller, this made me at ease right away. I stayed in the 2 bed dorm room, it was comfortable, bed was good, showers hot, but it could be a little noisy if other guests came back late or got up early without consideration for others. Breakfasts were huge, diner wonderful, some of the best Moroccan food I tasted. The roof terrace was a great place to chill if you didn't want to tackle the medina. Will I be back to Morocco? Indeed. Will I come back to Riad Verus? Most definately! A big thanks to all the wonderful staff for making my stay so great!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I visited the city of Fes on the spur of the moment (plans to travel with Moroccan friends had just fallen through), and found the website for Riad Verus through my brief research before I boarded the train from Casablanca. The manager was extremely helpful in my getting to town and ensuring that I would be comfortable once I arrived. I could only stay a short while, but I appreciated every moment. The Riad itself is beautiful, easy to find (important in the winding, nondescript streets of the old city), and extremely comfortable. Its roof offers a relaxing setting and a stunning view. It is a welcome oasis of relaxation after wandering through the enthralling yet sometimes exasperating city of Fes.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo