“Superb place to stay in Fes”
Review of Ryad Alya

Ryad Alya
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is a superb guest house in Fes. This is not a conventional hotel as such. It is a riad, a traditional courtyard house (or mini-palace in this case) that has been adapted for guests. The interior is breathtakingly beautiful, with stunning traditional intricate tile work and plaster carvings. It's worth staying here just to admire the courtyard! The rooms are very comfortable and also quite beautiful. Breakfast is served on the roof terrace, which has a wonderful view over the medina of Fes. It's a good breakfast too, but we chose to try other local restaurants for other meals. The staff members are very helpful and efficient, and we heard them chatting to guests in at least four languages. Location is excellent, down a quiet alley in one of the best parts of the medina, and close to the main tourist sites. The medina is a warren of alley ways going off in different directions and if you don't have a guide for your first exploration you will be sure to get lost. A note of caution about Fes -- several people suggested it was not safe to walk about at night. This is the only town in Morocco where we got such advice.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Well I stumbled across this fantastic hotel purely by a chance meeting with 2 like minded holiday makers whilst visiting Essaouira. They suggested that if I was visiting Fes then the Ryad Ayla is THE place to stay.

I took the train from Marrakech to Fes which took 7 hours aDh (first Class). On my arrival at Fes Railway station I was greeted by a number of taxi agents, and you very much take your chance. It cost 20Dh. I found my way to the Ryad Ayla down a short passage way and was greeted by Helima who was very helpful.

Apparently it is cheaper to rent a room if you just turn up rather than book in advance. However you obviously take the risk of there being a room available. Fortunately although the Ryad was busy there was a room available.

I found the whole experience of staying at the Ryad Ayla fantastic. It was very very clean, the staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

The Ryad is situated on the edge of the Medina and the staff will organise a guide should you want one. I took up their offer and was introduced to my Guide called Ali. He spoke English and took me round all the sights I wanted to see. He cost (350Dh).

Unlike other reviewers I found the 2 staff I dealt with very polite, that's Halima and Hassan.

The Room rate included Breakfast which was magnificent and taken on the roof terrace which overlooked the roofs of the Medina. Something for everyone, and a great way to start the day.

I can recommend the hamman a great way to unwind after a day of sight seeing. This is within the Ryad and can be arranged at short notice. Very good value.

I had a lovely stay and can highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This was amazing place to stay, with excellent service and wonderfully preserved architecture.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were all extremely friendly.
Our suite was a very good size. He only things missing there was more comfortable area to seat in my room. There was some seating area, but it was more then bench with hard cushions on it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We had a wonderful stay in raid alya all the staff was very kind led by Halima very nice and polite women . Even though we stayed for too little time, she all the time trying to be sure that everything is correct!!! .
The location is fantastic and the breakfast is to die for !thank you very much We look forward to returning for a longer stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iren p
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Ryad Alya is a beautiful old house hotel in the Medina in Fez. It is restored and has about five suites. Beautiful plaster and tile work. Rooms are nice and breakfast is good. One staff member Amine is excellent but he is unfortunately leaving. Shortly after arrival the manager Halima was unaccountably rude to me. Later I asked another staff if I could speak to the owner and was told no and then told Halima was the owner which is not true. The staff told her and things improved but left a kind of residual tension. Another guest according to the reviews had a similar problem in April 2012 with Halima and while the owner commented he did not apologize to those people which he should have done. Also there is fair bit of street noise at night.

Room Tip: One room does not have TV. I guess I would try to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank DohaInternational
Reviewed 10 July 2012

After the hustle and bustle of exiting the Fes train station and trying to get a taxi, walking in to Ryad Alya was like a dream. It is so quiet and calm you can't believe you are in the middle of the crazy city!

The thing that makes this Ryad so amazing is the courtyard, it is the most beautiful thing I have seen in Morocco (I have lived here for a few months). The detail and colours of the tiles and carvings and how it has been well looked after makes it breathtaking. There are a number of places to relax and drink tea, my favourite being the rooftop terrace that has an amazing view over Fes - it feels like you are on top of the world!

We stayed in the most basic and cheapest room - the Ouazarzate room which was definitely great value for money and a beautiful room. It was very clean, comfortable (with air conditioning), quiet and nicely decorated.

Breakfast is served on the terrace - you will not go hungry! A couple of things it included were fresh orange juice, tea, coffee, eggs, bread, crepes and other Moroccan style bread products.

The staff were great - Amine greeted us when we arrived and prepared us tea and cookies while telling us about the Ryad and its history and then he gave us a tour. He was really fantastic. My mum had a massage at the Ryad's hammam which she would highly recommend.

If you are considering booking a night or two at this Ryad I would highly recommend you do so - from the moment you walk in the front door you will definitely realise you have arrived in Morocco, this is the Moroccan style you see portrayed in guidebooks and on postcards!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We have been there in June 2012. The riad is located not in the center of the medina but in a quiet street, easy to acces both from the medina or from outside the medina. You won't be lost getting there because they send you someone yo pick you up at the train station. The couryard is enchanting. The terrece has an incredible view. Breakfast is excellent and served by Fatah a very nice fellow,and he understand your English completely even if you have latin accent as I have. they prepare and serve good moroccan food in the terrace , we dined there one night and it was delicious food and Fatah took many pictures of the family. My husband jogged in an nearby park

Room Tip: The suites have a big size and the decoration is beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family