“One of the best accomodations I had in Morocco” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ryad Alya

Ryad Alya
Ranked #8 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Piemonte
“One of the best accomodations I had in Morocco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

I got to Ryad Alya by chance as I learnt about it by a travel mate I met on my way to Fès. The riad is for sure one of the best I visited during my journey in Morocco and I couldn't get a better suggestion. I do recommend spending some time here, in the Medina of Fès though easily findable. At my arrival, the guys at the reception were more than kind and attentive and I felt immediately pampered. The riad is in a marvellous historical building, it looks like a castle or a fine mansion, with wood engravings and precious stuccos. The rooms are quite comfortable, very clean and original. Last but not least, the breakfast served by Fatah includes typical bread and loaves and delicious jams that are absolutely unforgettable! I haven’t tried other riad in Fès, but this is highly recommendable: the taxi driver will take you to very close to the riad, then you’ll reach it on foot after a short distance. The place is pretty much quiet, both in the rooms and in the inner patio, where you’ll be offered a freshly brewed mint tea and cookies. The riad has got a hammam, too, but I haven’t tried it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Jackson Heights, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

We chose Alya as a splurge hotel for 2 nights during our 3 week stay in Morocco, since very nice, but more basic hotels can be found for a fraction of the price of Alya. This is the perfect hotel to experience traditional Moroccan luxury. The majority of high end riads and hotels in Fes are more modern and westernized aesthetically, but Riad Alya feels like a traditional Moroccan palace. The riad is beautiful, and our room (the Fes suite) was spectacular, as well as quiet and comfortable.
The staff was very helpful and accommodating, and breakfast was the best we had in any hotel we stayed in during our trip (and we had great breakfasts almost everywhere we stayed). Our stay at Alya was really enjoyable, and we'd highly recommend it. It's also worth mentioning that we had no problems as a gay couple here or at any hotel we stayed in in Morocco, since that was a bit of a concern of ours before going on our trip.

Room Tip: The Fes suite was unbelievably beautiful, and perfectly quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is a superb guest house in Fes. This is not a conventional hotel as such. It is a riad, a traditional courtyard house (or mini-palace in this case) that has been adapted for guests. The interior is breathtakingly beautiful, with stunning traditional intricate tile work and plaster carvings. It's worth staying here just to admire the courtyard! The rooms are very comfortable and also quite beautiful. Breakfast is served on the roof terrace, which has a wonderful view over the medina of Fes. It's a good breakfast too, but we chose to try other local restaurants for other meals. The staff members are very helpful and efficient, and we heard them chatting to guests in at least four languages. Location is excellent, down a quiet alley in one of the best parts of the medina, and close to the main tourist sites. The medina is a warren of alley ways going off in different directions and if you don't have a guide for your first exploration you will be sure to get lost. A note of caution about Fes -- several people suggested it was not safe to walk about at night. This is the only town in Morocco where we got such advice.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Well I stumbled across this fantastic hotel purely by a chance meeting with 2 like minded holiday makers whilst visiting Essaouira. They suggested that if I was visiting Fes then the Ryad Ayla is THE place to stay.

I took the train from Marrakech to Fes which took 7 hours aDh (first Class). On my arrival at Fes Railway station I was greeted by a number of taxi agents, and you very much take your chance. It cost 20Dh. I found my way to the Ryad Ayla down a short passage way and was greeted by Helima who was very helpful.

Apparently it is cheaper to rent a room if you just turn up rather than book in advance. However you obviously take the risk of there being a room available. Fortunately although the Ryad was busy there was a room available.

I found the whole experience of staying at the Ryad Ayla fantastic. It was very very clean, the staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

The Ryad is situated on the edge of the Medina and the staff will organise a guide should you want one. I took up their offer and was introduced to my Guide called Ali. He spoke English and took me round all the sights I wanted to see. He cost (350Dh).

Unlike other reviewers I found the 2 staff I dealt with very polite, that's Halima and Hassan.

The Room rate included Breakfast which was magnificent and taken on the roof terrace which overlooked the roofs of the Medina. Something for everyone, and a great way to start the day.

I can recommend the hamman a great way to unwind after a day of sight seeing. This is within the Ryad and can be arranged at short notice. Very good value.

I had a lovely stay and can highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

This was amazing place to stay, with excellent service and wonderfully preserved architecture.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were all extremely friendly.
Our suite was a very good size. He only things missing there was more comfortable area to seat in my room. There was some seating area, but it was more then bench with hard cushions on it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We had a wonderful stay in raid alya all the staff was very kind led by Halima very nice and polite women . Even though we stayed for too little time, she all the time trying to be sure that everything is correct!!! .
The location is fantastic and the breakfast is to die for !thank you very much We look forward to returning for a longer stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iren p
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Ryad Alya is a beautiful old house hotel in the Medina in Fez. It is restored and has about five suites. Beautiful plaster and tile work. Rooms are nice and breakfast is good. One staff member Amine is excellent but he is unfortunately leaving. Shortly after arrival the manager Halima was unaccountably rude to me. Later I asked another staff if I could speak to the owner and was told no and then told Halima was the owner which is not true. The staff told her and things improved but left a kind of residual tension. Another guest according to the reviews had a similar problem in April 2012 with Halima and while the owner commented he did not apologize to those people which he should have done. Also there is fair bit of street noise at night.

Room Tip: One room does not have TV. I guess I would try to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo