“Great experiance”

The Fes Festival of world sacred music
Ranked #1 of 1 Concerts & Shows in Fes
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Great experiance, beautifull music, nice change. Was there with my familly. Hope to visit again soon

3  Thank Sal S
There are newer reviews for The Fes Festival of world sacred music

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This long dreamed of Festival was very well planned, prepared, and executed. I would love to have a video of Opening night at the Bab al Makina. You really got to see and hear many of the performers for all of the venues of the Festival. It was exquisite. I highly recommend the Nights of the Medina concerts and of those concerts my favorites were the Marifat Band with Mohammad Zafar Iqbal from Pakistan, The Choir of Saint-Ephraim, and Mor Karbasi-Ladino from Spain.

4  Thank Cynthia C
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Good timing and good luck! I arrived at Fes just when the festival was starting. Caught a few performances. Really cool!

2  Thank Shabana B
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Good fun, organisation shambolic at times but essentially worked - not worth buying most expensive seats (they are all uncomfortable) so worth while bringing your own cushion - not much english translation so brush up your french - worth doing some homework as some of the bands were not great, some excellent, a couple really excellent.

1  Thank John W
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We came for all 10 days of the Festival on some friends' recommendation and had been very attracted to visit Morocco. We bought the full pass to all the events. The true highlights were few, though extraordinary. The opening event, Conference des Oiseaux, at the enormous Bab al Makina venue, was spectacular. The lines were long and the pass scanners highly inefficient (plan on lines of an hour to get great seats). Zakir Hussein (tabla) and Sacred Songs of the Gypsies of Provence were world-class and unforgettable. We loved sitting on the floor just in front of the stage. Amazing. Irish music was great, but not sacred. The morning conference events, all in French, were too intellectual for my taste, and the translations into English halting. I speak French, so I did not need the headphones, but others said native English speakers should have been used. I appreciated the book and CD tables at the Batha Museum, the clean bathrooms with toilet paper, the eclectic nature and spirit of the event, and the beautiful venues. A number of musical events at Bab al Makina had painfully loud volume, even with earplugs. The Sufi events in the evening were disappointing to me, but I very much appreciated that they were quite well attended by Moroccans and free of charge for them. I made a number of new friends, which was delightful, and had a lot of opportunities to practice my French. We took the opportunity to spend a month traveling in Morocco. I am very glad this event exists and am grateful to the organizers. I recommend more non-French-friendly events/translations if they really want to make this an international event.