“Excellent Riad”

Ranked #25 of 99 Hotels in Fes
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Riad”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

My husband and I rented the whole place for 3 days early June. Family and friends made the trip to Fez to celebrate our wedding. Most of them stayed in Riad Salam while the rest stayed in nearby Riads. The building is fascinating! The Riad is in a very good location, just a few minutes walk from the main street. The suites and rooms are wonderfully decorated. The staff was amazing, very kind and always available to help with a big smile on their face. We had a traditional Moroccan breakfast served near the pool every morning. We also ordered evening meals and they were very good. We offered a big dinner to friends and family (almost 80 people) and it was a real success: the staff helped with every single detail (flowers all over the place and in the pool, lights, table setting, etc). Absolutely fantastic!
Our guests were very happy with their stay and left with vivid memories of Fez and Riad Salam.
I highly recommend this place! We had a great stay and would definitely go there again when we return to Fez.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MichRich2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Very good location for visiting Fès, not very far from the medina. The suites are generously and very nicely, it is generally a very nice Riad. The traditional breakfast is very tasty and nicely served near the pool. We also have ordered an evening meal which also was very good.
The hammam was a very nice surprise, two women give good treatment. personnel really nice and adequate. Good free Wifi connection in the Suite.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StevenVerspeet
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We could not ask for a nicer place to stay in Fes. The staff were lovely - very kind and always available to help in any way they could. The building was beautiful - opulent and wonderfully decorated, with all the necessities and cleanliness one would expect. The location was great as we were just a few minutes walk from the main-market high street of the old town. Food was wonderful and we found ourselves getting stuck sitting by the pool every day and soaking in the silence rather than going out! I highly recommend this place - absolutely no problems or complaints about our stay - and would love to come and stay here again if I return to Fes!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Naomi M
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Hello,
Actually, I'm the customer who spent 15 days in this beautiful Riad.
We celebrate my birthday at end of stay.
All the staff were very caring for me. The service was impeccable. In this charming everyone is in listening to our requests. Our wish it’s command.
During these 15 days I bathed every afternoon. Every 2 days a dedicated person thoroughly clean the pool.
I am often traveling on business, for over 10 years I have stayed in great hotels Stars. And Riad Salam is to me an exceptional Hotel, where every place, every staff, each service, mean that you are more than a customer, but the true master of places.
Try it and you will love it.
Enjoy your stay at All.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Asmaa T
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

If asked to review the building by itself, I would give the place 5 stars, but fortunately I am asked to review my experience and my experience was bad.

The experience my wife and I had was very similar to that of Chicago60613.

Some comments:

1. I actually checked to see if our bed was made of stone because it felt like it was. My wife actually stuffed cushions under the bed sheets to prevent pain from the firmness.
2. One night we had to stand outside for 10-15minutes knocking until someone came to let us in at 9PM because the staff was having a dance party for one of their own birthdays and neglecting their very few guests.
3. We asked them to set us up with a local Unesco guide and they gave us this guide who was a scam artist who basically took advantage of us for an entire day.
4. When asked where they recommended for dining they said to eat in the hotel. When pressed on other places, they told us we looked tired and should just go to bed. When pressed further they told us that we'd probably get stomach aches from eating the local food.
5. The pool was dirty and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while.

When I travel, I view my hotel as my safe haven and their staff my team in making sure I have a good time. They have a concierge and staff typically for this purpose. I view my hotel as a sanctuary of safety. At Riad Salam Fes, I felt that they would take advantage of me at any turn. Though the Riad is beautiful, the people truly dictate the experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Havage
, Gérant at Riad Salam Fes, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your comment.
In a Riad the service is personalized, the party we organized is for a client who had spent 15 days in the Riad and in the end of her stay she wanted to take Hana.
The bed of your suite was new and if you told us you have problem with it we will change the room for you.
For the pool it was very clean ( why you swam every day morning and night without saying anything ?).
Brugge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed 4 nights in the Laaroussa suite, a large and silent room close to the roof terrace. The colorful glass in the windows, the large door and the little doom gave this bridal suite a very romantic touch, even on our 'voyage de divorce' ;-) A spacious and firm bed, a colorful bathroom (bit smelly) and a small but good fridge contributed to our comfort.

The breakfast near the pool was ok, but lacked some variety after three days. We dined at the Riad Salam the first night and had an excellent meal... with a bottle of excellent wine we bought in a supermarket not far trom the airport and could enjoy it without 'droit de bouchon'.

Every evening we lingered on the roof terrace in the late April sun. Great place to have a sundowner with view on the roofs of Fes. Don't know why the other guests preferred the shadows near the pool beneath...

Riad Salam Fes is perfectly situated to visit the Medina and take a little red taxi to the new city, the railwaystation,... We only rented a guide once and it was a major rip off. 25 euro to be taken to places where the man could enjoy his finder's fee and -though we refused to pay- another extra 25 euro for the short roadtrip along the city walls. The guide was provided by... the hotel. That's the only drawback of the riad: all extra's (hammam, dining, ...) are charged at 'Western' rates with a super margin on the local prices. If like us (thanks Nathalie) you can get hold of a map of the Medina, go and discover yourself. Great fun! And whenever you get lost, there are plenty of people who are willing to show you the shop of their brother :-) Give them a small tip for showing on the map where you are and you get around the Medina at your own pace for.. 2,5 euro :-)

The staff is very helpful and seem to be working around the clock: cleaning rooms, carrying luggage, serving breakfast, taking care of the guests, even in the hammam... Don't forget to tip them because they are not payed a 'Western' wage..

In all, this riad is an excellent place to enjoy a fairy tale city. If you are on a tight budget, beware of the extra's. If not, enjoy all the luxuries of this great riad!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JPP104
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

We traveled around Morocco for 2+ weeks and stayed at a variety of riads and kasbahs. Staying at Riad Salam Fes was our only regret. The riad is very beautiful, both the rooms and the public areas are decorated very beautifully in traditional Moroccan Zillij tiles, gorgeous carved wood…much nicer than at some of the more expensive riads. However, the service was horrendous and staff were totally unhelpful at Riad Salam Fes.

Here are the issues we encountered:

1) Overall service: The staff at the riad, including managers, have zero understanding of how to run a service oriented business. We had to call them every morning to let them know where we would like to eat breakfast…they always responded “as you wish”. Yet, when we showed up at the breakfast room approximately 10 – 15 minutes later, they didn’t have a table setup and it would take up to 20 minutes before we were seated. We even tried to complain to a manager one day and the manager walked away in the middle of our sentence and went to talk to another customer (who had been complaining previously). On another occasion I was asking the front desk manager a question, and as we were halfway through the conversation she completely ignored me to talk to a maid who had come by with a question. The absolute worst experience we had was one night when there was a wedding at the riad. We were concerned because our room was on the ground floor very close to the area where the wedding was going to be held but the staff told us no problem the event would end by 10pm. We went out for dinner and came home at midnight and the wedding was in full swing. At 1am there was still live music and over 50 people in the lobby area literally right outside our room (and because it is a riad, the rooms aren’t very soundproofed). At 1.30am we called the front desk and asked them politely if they could request the party to keep the noise down. They obliged and said they would take care of it right away. Well, at 2am the party was still going, band playing, people singing, it was ridiculous. My husband, in his pajamas, went out to find a staff member. The staff member said they would take care of it…and then just stood there. When my husband demanded, the staff member spoke to someone in the wedding party, but nothing happened. He came back and said don’t worry they will be quiet in a little while. So, my husband ended up having to walk into the event and ask the musicians (who were family of the bride) to be respectful to the other hotel guests, and they quickly apologized and stopped the music. The next morning the front desk manager made excuses and told us that it was not the hotel’s fault and the wedding party “lied” to the riad and told them they would be done at 10pm and they were “the victim”. I explained very clearly our concern was not with the wedding party but with the riad staff as it was their duty to control the situation and respond to guest’s concerns. She ignored my response and just shrugged. That about sums up the service at Riad Salam Fes.

2) Cleanliness: Overall the riad is beautiful. However, the staff does not tend to basic housekeeping like when there were dirty glasses / plates in the common areas that needed to be cleared. Things would be lying around in utter disarray for days. Also, the pool was filthy dirty, as a result we didn’t feel comfortable swimming. There were bugs, leaves and all kinds of disgusting things in the water which was very stagnant.

3) Security: We came back one late afternoon after being gone the entire day walking around Fes to find our room key in the door of our room – the maids left it in the lock after they finished cleaning the room basically giving anyone the opportunity to come in and take any of our stuff. They didn’t seem to care that we were upset over this.

4) Restaurant Recommendations: We arrived late the first evening and asked them for a restaurant nearby, and specifically said we don’t want a touristy restaurant but an authentic local small restaurant. They pushed a “very restaurant” on us – when I asked about the details they said it has a show and theatre and they would have a driver take us there. They had no other recommendations other than that one place. When we said “no thanks” and that we didn’t want to eat somewhere touristy or at the riad they seemed very put off. They also pressured us every morning as to whether we would be dining in the restaurant at Salam Fes that evening, which was very uncomfortable. We ended up having some great dinners at the following restaurants: Maison Bleue, L’Ambre (restaurant in Riad Fez), and Fez Lounge.

4) Payment: The day before we arrived at the riad, they sent an email to my husband telling us we have to pay in full in CASH for the room. We had told them we were arriving from the Sahara desert so we had no access to email the previous 4 days. On the day we had to checkout, they required the entire 4 nights in cash and would not accept credit card even though we had provided a credit card for the deposit. This was a great deal of money and a very large inconvenience, requiring us to both go to the bank to take out additional cash.

5) Communication: We are lucky in that we speak both English (native language) and French. I wish we could say the same about the staff at Riad Salam Fes. No one really spoke English and their French was also very poor. Even the front desk manager was very difficult to communicate with, speaking no English and only a little French. If you speak only English don’t even attempt to communicate with anyone there. All of the nice restaurants/riads in Fes (and elsewhere we stayed) have staff that speak at least some English and definitely French.

We didn’t pick this thinking it would be a high-end hotel with 4 star service. However, the staff was so rude and unhelpful that it really made our stay less enjoyable. It’s disappointing because the actual riad is so beautiful. But it was literally one of the worst hotel services we have ever experienced....don't stay here and let Riad Salam Fes ruin your vacation too!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple