“Moroccan Hospitality at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dar Fes Medina

Dar Fes Medina
Ranked #6 of 204 Fes B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Moroccan Hospitality at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

What makes a perfect place to stay are the people behind working hard to make it possible - that's what I got the minute I was welcomed at Dar Fes Medina.
When they told me "this is your home and you are family" -I knew that It was meant sincerely -And I, being always skeptical when I travel.

The People of Dar Fes Medina:
(hope I got the names & the spelling correctly)

Mohammed - The owner. When he said I am now family, I didn't expect that I will be introduced to the rest - his father, brother & uncle! haha ... I even got the chance to have a personal tour of the antique shop the family owns in the medina (this shop was featured @ NY times).
When I requested for a guide to show me the culture & history of Fez & the medina (and not to bring me from one shop to the next tourist trap),I was given a guide who did just that - Jaweed(?),highly recommended guide.
When a group of 12 Americans, without confirming their reservation called him that they are on their way and will be having dinner - I saw first hand how Mohammed & the staff handled the situation professionally, and we all just had a good laugh once everything was settled.

The staff: Imane - very intelligent & gracious, made sure that I always had my daily dose of unlimited tea & unlimited homemade cookies. =) Had good conversations with her.
Sameer - accompanied & showed me how to navigate the dizzying streets of Fez.
Rizzy - that's what I called her =), prepared my hearty breakfast, and had the best Tangine ever!
Oh, and I forgot to mention that since I am treated like "family", I had free dinner on my last night! =)

It is hard to get to know the people of Morocco if you are out in the tourist sites haggling the whole day with the locals ,which can get pretty tiring, It is just so nice that I get to experience 3 days of real Moroccan hospitality

Shukran! Dar Fes Medina

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
ARLINGTON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

My group arranged a meeting stay at the Dar Fes Medina and everything greatly exceeded expectations. The staff, led by Mohammed and Imane, took care of all our needs, from arranging our meeting room, to touring side trips. The rooms were clean, spacious, and comfortable. Breakfast was a feast. We also chose to cater our lunch and that was magnificent. The location in the medina is convenient (and the staff arranges guides to/from restaurants or sites). The rooftop terrace was a wonderful spot to relax on at the end of the day with a cup of mint tea.

Room Tip: Room 304, a corner double, has a great view of the local mosque.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Meknes, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Came all the way from South Africa for a meeting and spent the most wonderful three days with Mohammed and his wonderful staff in Fez. Good food, delicious mint tea and almond biscuits. Staff organized a wonderful guide Hakkim to take us around the Medina and had a splendid shopping trip with his guidance. Would love to bring my family back here

Room Tip: stay in rooms facing into house if you are looking for quiet time
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I travelled to Fez for a meeting with colleagues from all over the world. We had the Dar to ourselves and it was terrific. The rooms were all comfortable, and it was easy to hold a small meeting for nine people. We had breakfast and lunch provided each day, which was delicious every time. But I think that, best of all, are the wonderful staff who were always on hand and for whom nothing was too much trouble. They organized a driver, and guides to take us to restaurants in the medina. They also organized a guide to take us on a tour of the medina, which was a fantastic afternoon. And, of course, mint tea and delicious almond biscuits at any time. Very highly recommended and I would definitely return.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have heavy luggage perhaps a ground floor or first floor room would b...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Beautiful Riad.
Very friendly staff, helpfull when needed. Tries to let you feel at home, with free minttea and cookies.
Nice roof terrace.
Nice, clean, big rooms.
Breakfast is perfect.
Not a lot of restaurants/shops nearby, but all highlights are within walking distance.
If we ever go back to fes, we most certainly will stay at this riad.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

The dar is a stunning example of Moroccan architecture. Our room was small (by our standards), but very comfortable and charming.

The staff were welcoming and very helpful ...it very much felt like a home away from home. The breakfast was very good, and we were told by a fellow traveller dinner was the best he had in Morocco.

The Fes medina is a maze. Arrange for transport and a 1/2 day guide through the Dar; you'll be glad you did.

Two features of Dar Fes Medina you should know about. Their proximity to a mosque means that they don't sell alcohol and you will hear the 4:30 am call to prayer ...all part of the experience!

• Stayed May 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I highly recommend Dar Fes Medina if you are looking for a place to stay in Fes. It is perfect. It is available at a decent price and is at a decent location (15 minute walk from the blue gate). The hotel and rooms are very clean and very tastefully designed. The free wifi is great and available throughout the dar.

However, its greatest strength is its people. The owner (Mohamed) and his staff could not be nicer. They motto is 'this is your home'. They go out of the way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They organised a tour guide for the Fes medina and a car (to take us to Chefchaouen) at great prices. They even give free water, tea and biscuits.

Room Tip: Avoid the room on the ground floor. It is next to the area where breakfast is served so will be nois...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple