“I would not really recommend it” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dar Touria
Ranked #161 of 205 Restaurants in Fes
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Moroccan, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Madrid, Spain
“I would not really recommend it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

The main reason for which I would not recommend this restaurant is that they tried to cheat me with the price. When I entered the restaurant, I asked them which is the price for the whole menu and they said 200 dirhams. So I had the lunch. When I asked for the bill, it was 40 dirhams more (which is about 4 euros) and when I asked why, they said it was for the water, which is an incredible price for Morocco. So I never recommend places like that. I also suggest that in Morocco you always ask to have clear the prices before you do anything and if at the end they ask you for more, just refuse to pay it.
As to the food, they give you a variety of tiny dips as starters (at about 6-7 or so), which they are not really a great thing. And then they serve a couscous and a desert with a tea. The quality of food is quite normal. But not so exquisite as to pay 200 or more dirhams for it. With that money you can get a really great meal in other places.
I would also have to inform you: The place is really hidden in the little streets of Medina. Don't even think of trying to find it yourself with the map. You have to be guided by somebody that you trust. And definately forget trying to find it alone in the evening! It could be very dangerous.
Good luck!

Visited February 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“You will not walk away hungry!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Dar Touria served what is perhaps one of the most insane and filling meals I've ever had. There's no primary menu as such, you can pick a main from a selection of the day's options, but you'll first be treated to an opening smorgasbord like no other.

I think we counted upwards of 17 different dishes in the first course alone!

Vegetables and beans of every kind and preparation, from fava beans and artichokes to the most delicious grilled eggplant I've ever tasted. The mains were equally impressive; I had a chicken with caramelized onions and lemon that was outstanding, while my girlfriend had bastilla, a baked chicken pastry that's savory on the inside and sweet on the outside! Also amazing.

For dessert, fresh fruits topped with cinnamon, and sugar scones. (As if we could have eaten them!)

Since it's housed in a traditional riad, there's only a few tables available. If you know you want to go ahead of time it may be prudent to call and make a reservation, although we were able to walk right in.

• Visited February 2012
“DO NOT EAT HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

The worst service I've gotten in Morocco, and the only place were they insisted on a service charge for a two person table. The food was just so-so we were told that half the menu was un available then proceded to serve the unavailable food to another table tht arrived after us. Waiter didn't give us the water we asked for until we were finished with the meal, he also didn't serve us pastries until we asked for them even though it was state on the set menu. . The bill was 500 dirhams at half that price it would have been a rip off.

Paris, France
“Average Food and Expensive Prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We followed our guide book recommendation and took the very long walk down to dar touria to have lunch. The place is charming with a nice terrace. The food however turned out to be no better than any other restaurant in town. In fact, we found the dishes to be hardly warm and rather blend compared to other meals we were served in Fes. Unlike what was written in some of the reviews, portions are not huge and service is very basic. The price of a set meal is double what one would pay in any other good restaurant of the medina. Definitely not worth the money.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MSL19
Londonuk
“Traditional Marco food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Easy going restaurant, good food and staff. We where met at one of gates by the staff who took us to the restaurant - otherwise it would have been hard to find. Best book in advance

• Visited November 2011