“Better value elsewhere”

Dar Touria
Ranked #166 of 209 Restaurants in Fes
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Clifton Hill
“Better value elsewhere”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We had a couscous and vegetable dish which went back almost uneaten as it was soggy, overcooked and unpalatable. Maybe that is a traditional dish but definitely not to western taste. The first course, chicken dishes and third course were ok but cost more than comparable meals elsewhere

• Visited June 2013

Grenoble, France
“Overpriced & clearly a rip-off”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Following the lonely planet recommendation, we ended up in this badly located establishment. The food was very average, not abundant, and definitely not worth the 200dh for the menu. Not to mention that we never saw the pastries that were promised on the menu and the wine suspiciously doubled in price between the verbal information from the waiter and the final bill. Don't be surprised that they will add also a service charge (amount appears to vary) without telling you beforehand.
The atmosphere and interior is nice.

Apparently this used to be a good place, but has clearly changed
Go somewhere else!

• Visited June 2013
Madrid, Spain
“I would not really recommend it”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The main reason for which I would not recommend this restaurant is that they tried to cheat me with the price. When I entered the restaurant, I asked them which is the price for the whole menu and they said 200 dirhams. So I had the lunch. When I asked for the bill, it was 40 dirhams more (which is about 4 euros) and when I asked why, they said it was for the water, which is an incredible price for Morocco. So I never recommend places like that. I also suggest that in Morocco you always ask to have clear the prices before you do anything and if at the end they ask you for more, just refuse to pay it.
As to the food, they give you a variety of tiny dips as starters (at about 6-7 or so), which they are not really a great thing. And then they serve a couscous and a desert with a tea. The quality of food is quite normal. But not so exquisite as to pay 200 or more dirhams for it. With that money you can get a really great meal in other places.
I would also have to inform you: The place is really hidden in the little streets of Medina. Don't even think of trying to find it yourself with the map. You have to be guided by somebody that you trust. And definately forget trying to find it alone in the evening! It could be very dangerous.
Good luck!

Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“You will not walk away hungry!”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Dar Touria served what is perhaps one of the most insane and filling meals I've ever had. There's no primary menu as such, you can pick a main from a selection of the day's options, but you'll first be treated to an opening smorgasbord like no other.

I think we counted upwards of 17 different dishes in the first course alone!

Vegetables and beans of every kind and preparation, from fava beans and artichokes to the most delicious grilled eggplant I've ever tasted. The mains were equally impressive; I had a chicken with caramelized onions and lemon that was outstanding, while my girlfriend had bastilla, a baked chicken pastry that's savory on the inside and sweet on the outside! Also amazing.

For dessert, fresh fruits topped with cinnamon, and sugar scones. (As if we could have eaten them!)

Since it's housed in a traditional riad, there's only a few tables available. If you know you want to go ahead of time it may be prudent to call and make a reservation, although we were able to walk right in.

• Visited February 2012
“DO NOT EAT HERE”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

The worst service I've gotten in Morocco, and the only place were they insisted on a service charge for a two person table. The food was just so-so we were told that half the menu was un available then proceded to serve the unavailable food to another table tht arrived after us. Waiter didn't give us the water we asked for until we were finished with the meal, he also didn't serve us pastries until we asked for them even though it was state on the set menu. . The bill was 500 dirhams at half that price it would have been a rip off.