“Style and Hospitality in the heart of Morocco”
Review of Riad Dar Guennoun

Riad Dar Guennoun
Ranked #42 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed for two nights at the Riad Dar Guennoun. When the front door opened, I felt transported to a world of wonder, history, culture, and tradition. Miriam, the hostess, was quite helpful, and friendly. The traditional Moroccan cuisine served there was superb and wonderful after a long day outside. Tours can be arranged from the Riad. If you want great Moroccan hospitality and a warm atmosphere, this is the place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Riad Dar Guennoun

Reviewed 14 July 2011

Morocco is an amazing country to visit! We had been to Casablanca and 3 other places before we went to Fes and started our stay in Riad Dar Guennoun. Miriam was our hostess and made us (especially me) feel welcomed. Served us some Moroccan Gin (Mint tea), told us the history of the inn, her family and made a few suggestions for our stay. Suffice to say, we took her up on all her suggestions and the trip was amazing!! Hired a tour guide she suggested, he was warm, welcoming, informative and just all out amazing. Next day hired a driver per our tour guides suggestion and Miriam hired him for us and he was equally amazing. Took us to 4 cities/villages and fed little apes, had "gin" with a sweet toothless lady who lives in a cave. Yes you read that right! She was sweet and did not speak a word of english but I felt at home and comfortable in her cave. Before our stay in Dar Guennoun, if you would have asked would I go back, the answer would have been a NO. Thanks to Miriam and her wonderful staff and suggestions, I will return to FES and her establishment and go into the desert and do the tent/camel thing as suggested by our tour guide. Next time we go, I will inform Miriam to have many bottles of Red Wine ready for ME!! ;)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stayed in many riads while holidaying in Morocco, and Riad Dar Guennoun definitely had a real touch of a family home, rather than an impersonal (if welcoming and comfortable) hotel.

I was met by a driver at the bus station which made my arrival very easy, and meeting Miriam Guennoun for the first time was like meeting a friend. She was always available for any assistance I needed, organised tour guides for me and even offered to come with me to the souqs if I needed help with haggling for a big purchase (but I'd already bought a carpet in Chefchaouen and was told I bargained like a Berber).

The Fez medina is certainly overwhelming, but the riad is located near its perimeter and it was easy to find my way in and out – although getting lost eventually is inevitable. The exterior looks unassuming, but as soon as one walks into the riad, one is confronted by a jaw-dropping courtyard almost entirely covered in stucco, and a little fountain in the centre. There are LOTS of stairs, but that is typical.

My room was very comfortable, with A/C (hooray!) and cable TV (which I had not seen for weeks). The bathroom was typical of Moroccan riads, colourfully tiled, clean, and with a hand-held shower hose. My room (Juliet; all the rooms are named after the children in the family) was on the first floor, so only one flight of stairs to climb. Despite the fact I could hear children playing in the street, I slept like a log! There was no bar in the room, but bottled water was supplied, and mint tea on demand! Miriam did give me a tour of the riad, and although there are not many rooms, they all looked very good; the presidential (?) suite looked amazing.

Besides breakfast, which was served on the roof terrace (loungers, umbrellas, great views) and was satisfying, I had three delicious meals – not cheap, but I thought reasonably priced for their quality). At the time I stayed there, there wasn't a printed menu, but Miriam asked what I felt like eating, and I enjoyed the surprise of what came. I also had a cooking lesson with Miriam's staff – one of whom was formerly her nanny – which was great.

A day in the Fes medina can be bewildering and exhausting, but this riad was definitely nice to come home to. I enjoyed my stay there and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked great, and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank tatianasometimes
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Wonderfully friendly, beautiful place, they make sure you're not ripped off. I can only sing of the virtues of this little pad - definitely well worth a stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The Riad Dar Guennoun is a stunningly attractive and thoroughly charming "tradition house" in the heart of Fes. The service is polite, prompt and - above all - extremely friendly, from the mint tea on arrival to devotedly arranging tours, dinner or breakfast on the beautiful roof terrace. Speaking English is not a problem whatsoever.

The rooms are both clean and comfortable,well decorated and complete with air conditioning, but there can sometimes be a lot of noise from outside in the evening. The roof garden has plenty of furniture and commands marvellous views over the medina.

We had dinner in the Riad both nights of our stay. The food was delicious - and came in ample quantities - served in the very comfortable salon on the ground floor. A genuine Moroccan tagine is definitely worth trying.

Fes can be quite daunting for new travellers, especially those who are obviously English, and it is very easy to get lost. It's therefore a great help to have a guide or chaperone, which the staff of the Riad are more than happy to organise.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cloudowl
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We were in Marocco, in different cities, for 5 days and 4 nights. The first stay was in Riad Dar Guennoun. We had a pleasant welcome, and Mirjam (the owner/hostess) arranged a reliable and very good guide for us, to show us the medina. We've had diner and breakfast and it was really good, a lot of variety. We stayed in 4 different Riads, but this one was the best!
The rooms were beautiful and clean, there is a roofterrace with a beautiful view over the medina and nothing was to much to ask!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rosidozi
Reviewed 23 June 2011

The riad is situated in amongst the ally ways of the old city in Fes. It provides moroccon culture and decor, traditional food along side friendly and welcoming staff. If you ever want to go to morocco, this riad is a place to try.

Room Tip: Just give the manager a call or facebook
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple