“Fantastic experience at Riad Dar Guennoun”
Review of Riad Dar Guennoun

Riad Dar Guennoun
Ranked #38 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fantastic experience at Riad Dar Guennoun”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Riad Dar Guennoun; I doubt that any person that has stayed there would have anything bad to say either. Before my trip the hotel manager, Miriam, emailed me and asked if I needed transportation from the train station to the hotel. The driver was great, a very nice man that spoke perfect English and had a lot of good tips on what to do in Fes. When I arrived at the hotel, Miriam was waiting to greet me and the other guests that had just arrived. Miriam is a very sweet young girl and did everything she could to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible. I stayed in the junior suite, which was very cozy with a big bed and bathroom. The air conditioning worked like a charm and saved me from the 100 degree Moroccan heat. I was served a great dinner and had a lot of Moroccan tea (which is delicious, by the way). The hotel booked a tour for me with a guide named Fouad. Fouad took me all over the Medina, showing me everything that makes Fes the beautiful city. In conclusion, Riad Dar Guennoun is the perfect bed and breakfast to ensure a safe and comfortable stay in the beautiful city of Fes!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Rocco D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I visited the Riad with a friend for one night back in July as we were just passing through Fez. On arrival we were met by Miriam Guennoun, who runs the family Riad. She couldn't have made our stay any more enjoyable! So friendly, informative and always there to assist if we needed anything. The inside of the Riad is beautifully decorated with an amazing courtyard and fountain where you can out your feet up and relax. Our room was also stunning, with air-conditioning and comfy beds. The food there was delicious - Dinner was a traditional Tajine feast and there was plenty of it! We also had breakfast served on the roof terrace overlooking Fez. Such a great way to ease into the day, hearing Fez wake up and admiring the view. I'd high recommend this Riad to anyone visiting Fez. I just wish i could have stayed longer!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jameslockehart
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Rule #1 when visiting Morocco: Always stay in a riad. Not are you more likely to support small or family businesses, but you are also more likely to be pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the house and the quality of service. Riad Dar Guennoun is no exception. As we arrived in the July offseason, we were the only guests in the house, and Miriam made sure we felt at home.

The good: 1) Miriam, her family, and staff are delightful hosts. 2) The riad is tastefully decorated, clean, and well-maintained. 3) The food is good. 4) The location is great. 5) The wifi works (but only on the ground floor). 6) Let me reiterate that the hosts are great.

The bad: 1) While the food is good, it's a bit overpriced at Riad Dar Guennoun. For local cuisine (or to avoid it), take a taxi to the new town and explore its many cafes and restaurants. 2) Note in small print at the bottom on a page on their website they list a "Touristique Taxe : 2,5 € per person per day" -- they do not include it in the room price and surprised us with it as we checked out. It adds up quick, but my guess is that, like anywhere else in the medina, there's room to haggle.

The intriguing: The Guennoun family is bicultural (Moroccan and Australian), and also related to the cultural icon Abdallah Guennoun. Make some time to engage in conversation. You'll learn more about Morocco talking with them than anywhere else in Fès.

Considerations: The riad is a beautiful haven from the hustle and bustle of the medina, but it is still in the medina. Residents of Fès like to burn their garbage (animal waste, plastics, you name it...), and the air can get quite toxic -- especially during a weather inversion. So, if you suspect your respiratory system might not like it, you may want to look for a place with fresher air -- but that will take you far from the medina.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed for two nights at the Riad Dar Guennoun. When the front door opened, I felt transported to a world of wonder, history, culture, and tradition. Miriam, the hostess, was quite helpful, and friendly. The traditional Moroccan cuisine served there was superb and wonderful after a long day outside. Tours can be arranged from the Riad. If you want great Moroccan hospitality and a warm atmosphere, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Morocco is an amazing country to visit! We had been to Casablanca and 3 other places before we went to Fes and started our stay in Riad Dar Guennoun. Miriam was our hostess and made us (especially me) feel welcomed. Served us some Moroccan Gin (Mint tea), told us the history of the inn, her family and made a few suggestions for our stay. Suffice to say, we took her up on all her suggestions and the trip was amazing!! Hired a tour guide she suggested, he was warm, welcoming, informative and just all out amazing. Next day hired a driver per our tour guides suggestion and Miriam hired him for us and he was equally amazing. Took us to 4 cities/villages and fed little apes, had "gin" with a sweet toothless lady who lives in a cave. Yes you read that right! She was sweet and did not speak a word of english but I felt at home and comfortable in her cave. Before our stay in Dar Guennoun, if you would have asked would I go back, the answer would have been a NO. Thanks to Miriam and her wonderful staff and suggestions, I will return to FES and her establishment and go into the desert and do the tent/camel thing as suggested by our tour guide. Next time we go, I will inform Miriam to have many bottles of Red Wine ready for ME!! ;)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stayed in many riads while holidaying in Morocco, and Riad Dar Guennoun definitely had a real touch of a family home, rather than an impersonal (if welcoming and comfortable) hotel.

I was met by a driver at the bus station which made my arrival very easy, and meeting Miriam Guennoun for the first time was like meeting a friend. She was always available for any assistance I needed, organised tour guides for me and even offered to come with me to the souqs if I needed help with haggling for a big purchase (but I'd already bought a carpet in Chefchaouen and was told I bargained like a Berber).

The Fez medina is certainly overwhelming, but the riad is located near its perimeter and it was easy to find my way in and out – although getting lost eventually is inevitable. The exterior looks unassuming, but as soon as one walks into the riad, one is confronted by a jaw-dropping courtyard almost entirely covered in stucco, and a little fountain in the centre. There are LOTS of stairs, but that is typical.

My room was very comfortable, with A/C (hooray!) and cable TV (which I had not seen for weeks). The bathroom was typical of Moroccan riads, colourfully tiled, clean, and with a hand-held shower hose. My room (Juliet; all the rooms are named after the children in the family) was on the first floor, so only one flight of stairs to climb. Despite the fact I could hear children playing in the street, I slept like a log! There was no bar in the room, but bottled water was supplied, and mint tea on demand! Miriam did give me a tour of the riad, and although there are not many rooms, they all looked very good; the presidential (?) suite looked amazing.

Besides breakfast, which was served on the roof terrace (loungers, umbrellas, great views) and was satisfying, I had three delicious meals – not cheap, but I thought reasonably priced for their quality). At the time I stayed there, there wasn't a printed menu, but Miriam asked what I felt like eating, and I enjoyed the surprise of what came. I also had a cooking lesson with Miriam's staff – one of whom was formerly her nanny – which was great.

A day in the Fes medina can be bewildering and exhausting, but this riad was definitely nice to come home to. I enjoyed my stay there and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked great, and comfortable.