“unexpected but pleasant stay”
Review of Riad Dar Guennoun

Riad Dar Guennoun
Ranked #39 of 98 Hotels in Fes
Ghent, Belgium
“unexpected but pleasant stay”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We ended up in the Riad Dar Guennoun after a double booking in our hotel forced us to move to another place. We were received in a very hospitable way by the owner of the hotel and the hostess Miriam. They definitely made us feel at home and made us forget about the inconvenience of having to move hotels for the last night of our trip. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends for the beautiful, traditional rooms, excellent location and very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank s g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Our stay at this Riad could not have been made more perfect. Miriam and Abdul were the perfect hosts and made us feel like royalty the whole time we were there. Not to mention the wonderful other staff who carried our breakfasts up 3 flights of steep stairs so we could enjoy the stunning view. Breakfast was delicious, and the dinner...amazing...after a long day of travel we were treated to the specialities of Fes, home cooked and reasonably priced! Although to this day I can't explain what a Pastilla quite tastes like...you'll have to try one for yourself!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KateL1710
Saint Nicolas, Belgium
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I stayed in Riad Dar Guennoun for 5 days. In those 5 days we were treated like princesses.
The first day we arrived too early in the riad but we got a warm welcome from Miriam. She immediately told us about the different things we could visit in and around Fès.
We booked two excursions with an agency that cooperates with Riad Dar Guennoun, it was really worth the money. In those two days we saw a lot of Meknès, Fès and the Middle Atlas. Breakfast and dinner in this riad is D E L I C I O U S!
Actually I can't say anything negative about this riad. Miriam and her family did everything they could to make us feel at home.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Evy P
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Riad Dar Guennoun; I doubt that any person that has stayed there would have anything bad to say either. Before my trip the hotel manager, Miriam, emailed me and asked if I needed transportation from the train station to the hotel. The driver was great, a very nice man that spoke perfect English and had a lot of good tips on what to do in Fes. When I arrived at the hotel, Miriam was waiting to greet me and the other guests that had just arrived. Miriam is a very sweet young girl and did everything she could to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible. I stayed in the junior suite, which was very cozy with a big bed and bathroom. The air conditioning worked like a charm and saved me from the 100 degree Moroccan heat. I was served a great dinner and had a lot of Moroccan tea (which is delicious, by the way). The hotel booked a tour for me with a guide named Fouad. Fouad took me all over the Medina, showing me everything that makes Fes the beautiful city. In conclusion, Riad Dar Guennoun is the perfect bed and breakfast to ensure a safe and comfortable stay in the beautiful city of Fes!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Rocco D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I visited the Riad with a friend for one night back in July as we were just passing through Fez. On arrival we were met by Miriam Guennoun, who runs the family Riad. She couldn't have made our stay any more enjoyable! So friendly, informative and always there to assist if we needed anything. The inside of the Riad is beautifully decorated with an amazing courtyard and fountain where you can out your feet up and relax. Our room was also stunning, with air-conditioning and comfy beds. The food there was delicious - Dinner was a traditional Tajine feast and there was plenty of it! We also had breakfast served on the roof terrace overlooking Fez. Such a great way to ease into the day, hearing Fez wake up and admiring the view. I'd high recommend this Riad to anyone visiting Fez. I just wish i could have stayed longer!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jameslockehart
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Rule #1 when visiting Morocco: Always stay in a riad. Not are you more likely to support small or family businesses, but you are also more likely to be pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the house and the quality of service. Riad Dar Guennoun is no exception. As we arrived in the July offseason, we were the only guests in the house, and Miriam made sure we felt at home.

The good: 1) Miriam, her family, and staff are delightful hosts. 2) The riad is tastefully decorated, clean, and well-maintained. 3) The food is good. 4) The location is great. 5) The wifi works (but only on the ground floor). 6) Let me reiterate that the hosts are great.

The bad: 1) While the food is good, it's a bit overpriced at Riad Dar Guennoun. For local cuisine (or to avoid it), take a taxi to the new town and explore its many cafes and restaurants. 2) Note in small print at the bottom on a page on their website they list a "Touristique Taxe : 2,5 € per person per day" -- they do not include it in the room price and surprised us with it as we checked out. It adds up quick, but my guess is that, like anywhere else in the medina, there's room to haggle.

The intriguing: The Guennoun family is bicultural (Moroccan and Australian), and also related to the cultural icon Abdallah Guennoun. Make some time to engage in conversation. You'll learn more about Morocco talking with them than anywhere else in Fès.

Considerations: The riad is a beautiful haven from the hustle and bustle of the medina, but it is still in the medina. Residents of Fès like to burn their garbage (animal waste, plastics, you name it...), and the air can get quite toxic -- especially during a weather inversion. So, if you suspect your respiratory system might not like it, you may want to look for a place with fresher air -- but that will take you far from the medina.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed for two nights at the Riad Dar Guennoun. When the front door opened, I felt transported to a world of wonder, history, culture, and tradition. Miriam, the hostess, was quite helpful, and friendly. The traditional Moroccan cuisine served there was superb and wonderful after a long day outside. Tours can be arranged from the Riad. If you want great Moroccan hospitality and a warm atmosphere, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo