“OK place to spend a few days”
Review of Riad Dar Guennoun

Riad Dar Guennoun
Ranked #38 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Melbourne, Australia
“OK place to spend a few days”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The room was great - the bed and pillows were comfortable, there was adequate and comfortable seating in the room, and sufficient wardrobe and surface space to unpack bags without losing track of things. The bathroom was large and clean and the shower was fantastic - excellent water pressure. The rooftop terrace is also pleasant, but the weather in the evening was a little too chilly to make frequent use of it.
We ate there on all three evenings, which was probably a mistake, but there were no particularly inviting restaurants in the vicinity of the riad. The food was certainly good, but perhaps a little overpriced.
Service was excellent and the staff were generally helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2013

You will get so much more than you pay for! This riad is very beautiful and tastefully furnished. The charming owner could not have been nicer or more helpful. We had a wonderful 2 day stay! Take my advice and don't hesitate to book at this wonderful place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Davis, California
Reviewed 26 March 2013

You cannot imagine how well you will be treated. The food is beyond incredible, they really treat you like one of the family. You will have more than a place to stay, don't even look around, just book this Riad if you can. I stayed here for quite a long time and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I really have to emphasize that you cannot know how great it will be if you haven't been there, because no hotel or bed/breakfast in in America or Europe will ever come close to this level of service and perfection.

Most important: eat there. You will be tempted to eat at restaurants. Avoid this urge, the food is much better at the Riad and 100% safe for my sensitive American stomach. I ate here exclusively for 6 weeks and not only did I eat the greatest food in history, I didn't suffer even the slightest problem, unlike basically every other American who has ever gone to Morocco. They are modest and will recommend restaurants if you ask, so don't make that mistake.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in this Riad. Also, they will make sure you have the perfect room. Trust me.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Laytonsville, Maryland
Reviewed 24 February 2013

The decor was so elegant and beautiful. The hotel staff were attentive and friendly. In the evening a we sat in the sort of parlour area, our host came in and turned on some soft jazz music and lit candles all around for us. It was a very short walk to the amazing souks of Fez and to a taxi stand to visit other parts of the city. The rooms were heated and the beds were oh so comfortable. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed here for a week, I loved my room AC was great, excellent bed I always over slept, they cook the best food ever, its very very clean. it is very safe too. Meriam is very nice n caring. I can t wait to go back. BEST PLACE TO STAY

Room Tip: don't forget to go to the top of the building to see the whole Medina.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We can't say better things about this perfect riad. Miriam and her family made it a home away from home for us in our short stay in Fes. We arrived late our first night and decided we wanted to do dinner at the last minute to dinner at the riad. Unlike many riads which require significant advance notice, the kitchen agreed to accommodation our last minute request, and brought us the most delicious meal. In fact, it was so good, we ended up eating almost all of our dinners in Fes at the riad! Our room (one of the smaller rooms for a couple) was still quite large, with a small sitting space and reasonable size bathroom. Our traveling companions stayed in one of the larger suits, which had a huge bathroom and a large sitting area we used for playing cards, etc.

Given our enthusiasm for the dinners, it's perhaps not surprising that we found the breakfast exceptional as well. We have some dietary restrictions (vegetarian, low-carb, etc.), and the kitchen at the riad was more than willing to accommodate all of our requests.

We also did a cooking lesson! I can't recommend that more highly either. Going to the market with the riad cooks was an experience in of itself--we really got to see where I chicken started the day! I was worried that there wouldn't be a lot of opportunity to actually feel the food, i.e. practice different knifing skills, etc. In fact, because we were such a small group, they let us all try a bit of everything. I actually left thinking that I could make a couscous if I had the proper kitchen instruments.

Overall, I don't think you could find a better place in Fes.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We stayed as a family of 6 (and a baby) for 2 nights. We loved the riad, the surprise factor on the way in and the lavishly, tastefully decorated interiors. Miriam is a truly great host and the staff is also similarly very attentive and caring, especially the dinner waiter.

Of course there were a few small glitches, such as lack of hairdryers in the rooms and the relatively old (but still very clean) bathroom towels but Miriam was always ready to address any requests and whatever issue we had was handled smoothly. In addition, the riad serves a very good breakfast and good dinner, we dined there for both nights as we were a bit tired. Overall highly recommended.

Room Tip: Suites are worth it, rooms are a bit small.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family