“Clean, good location”
Review of Dar Hafsa

Dar Hafsa
Ranked #6 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Absolutely clean bathroom. beautiful inside. convenient location in the medina. Very good breakfast (strictly started at 9am).
But the atmosphere was unfriendly. Our desert tout driver dropped us at a wrong meeting place, so the riad owner's father who picking up was super angry when he saw us... but the other day, he's fine. However, the riad owner (the daughter) was too serious, she ORDERED us to sit at the table for breakfast even we prefer another (no other people at that time). and she ordered us to step on the stairs quietly at 8:xx in the morning in a rude way (we didn't make loud noise indeed), her "attitude" gave us very bad feeling... Though, the young working staff who stayed at the riad overnight was very friendly and helpful. Also, you need to request for the air-con control, they keep it but not leaving in your room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tofudon
MerieID, Manager at Dar Hafsa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking time to share with us your feedback about your stay at Dar Hafsa. I am saddened that we were not able to make your stay enjoyable , but I am happy that you found it clean,beautiful,in convenient location and very good breakfast.
I apologise for any issues that you encountered with the staff or the service. However, I would like to clarify the misunderstanding that happened:
These guests came from a desert tour with a driver, they supposed to call us to tell just their arrival time as the meeting place( Bab Boujloud) was already confirmed through exchanged emails. We received a call from their driver saying that in 5 minute he will be at Bab Boujloud . The owner went to meet them but he kept waiting 45 minute because these guests were dropped at a different place which is 3 KM far from the supposed meeting place. Hopefully, a friend of us heard them asking about our place and he offered his help to them by calling us to talk to them and he told us where exactly they are. Then, I called the owner to go to the other place to pick them up. He was angry not because of them as he has already explained to them but because of the driver who lacks the sense of responsibility by leaving them without notifying us or even being sure if they are safe or no.
Regarding the receptionist , she informed them that breakfast starts at 9 AM. The reason behind serving it at that time is that all the food are fresh and daily home made. We don't want to serve a pre- cooked food that is saved in the refrigerator. So, they came down at 8:05 min talking very loudly, disturbing the other sleeping guests and choosing to sit in a table next to a room that was full. I asked them politely (not ordered them) to change the table though there was no one sitting there as they stated because all the guests were still asleep and I didn't want them to be disturbed.
The air-con control wasn't in the room because it was still cold and heaters were still used instead. Now, because it starts being hot in each room there is an air -con control.
Our goal is to satisfy our guests and make them feel at home in our modest riad and we certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Dar Hafsa

Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you go to Fez, I cant recommend enough staying at Dar Hafsa. It's in a great location just off the corner from the main street in the old city, in the middle of everything but in a quieter alley. The riad is traditionally decorated with great taste. It's clean and has all the expected amenities: free wifi, comfortable beds, plenty of places charge phones and laptops, and even a delicious free traditional Moroccan breakfast.

One of my favourite things was the rooftop. It has an open-air sitting area, shaded by a white awning supported by a metal structure wrapped in vines. If you get a chance you can sit up there in the evening, sip on a cup of mint tea, and enjoy the beautiful view.

The owner, Abdelkarim, is extremely attentive and helped make my stay really comfortable. In addition to making the aforementioned mint tea (always free!), he walked me around Fez on the first day and even helped me buy my bus ticket at the station. Also he's a bit of a couscous snob but for good reason- he knows a killer place for couscous, which I'm sure he'll be happy to show you.

I had a really good experience at Dar Hafsa, and I will definitely stay here next time i'm in Fez.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank huanbo
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Our stay at dar hafsa was absolutely perfect. The staff were wonderfully attentive,friendly and efficent, they really made our stay pleasant with thier advices and suggestions. The hotel is wonderfully restored in traditional way and beautifully decorated. the location is very good, right in the medina and very close to the main important sites( historical monuments, souks).
the breakfast is very delicious with a good variety of food and drinks. It was a wonderful stay and if i ever have a chance to visit fes, i wouldn't hesitate to stay at Dar Hafsa.

Room Tip: room number 3
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I love travelling so last March I decided to go to Fès with my husband , the city is amazing and charming. I hope to go back there as soon as possible. The hotel was very good but the staff wasn't very helfpul and welcoming.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MerieID, Propriétaire at Dar Hafsa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Dream 978,
Thank you for you feedback and also for finding our modest place as good one. It is disappointing to hear that our staff wasn't very welcoming and helpful. I really don't know how and when that happened as our staff are doing their best to satisfy our guests but I will share you feedback with them so that to be very careful next time and avoid that in the future. Our aim was, is and will be always satisfying our guests. We thank you again for your comment and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you at Dar Hafsa.
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this accommodation based upon the reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed at all. This was a lovely way to welcome us to Fes. The staff were very friendly, the riad was very comfortable and I only wish I had a bigger stomach to eat the amount of breakfast we were given! My only disappointment was that I could not stay for longer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The riad is beautiful and nicely decorated. Everything was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable.
The breakfast was feast and very tasty. All the staff at the riad were very helpful and nice.
The view from roof terrace is really gorgeous.
Not far from bab boujloud and located in a very quiet street.
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone traveling to fez.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Dar Hafsa is wonderfully restored in traditional way, not far from bab boujloud and located in quite street far from hustles and bustles of the medina.
I spent three nights with a group of my friends. the owner karim, his daughter and mohammed were totally welcoming and they made our stay pleasant.
They were very friendly, helpful and always available when we had questions. they even were subtly checking if we were happy with the service provided.
There is a beautiful roof therace with an amazing view. that shouldn't be more happy with our stay. Iwill defenitely go back.
I highly recommend it.