“Superb place to stay”
Review of Dar Moula

Dar Moula
Ranked #94 of 226 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 February 2012

A charming small hotel in the heart of the Medina, close to the silver market. Our room had painted ceiling and lovely furnishings. Staff was very accomodating - owner drove us to a great restaurant in the old town, with wonderful food and decor and delightful music. We had to leave very early in the morning to catch a train, so I had expected we'd have to miss the breakfast, but the staff got up early for us, then walked us to the outside of the medina where we could get a taxi to the train station. I would definitely stay there again on another trip to Fes.

Room Tip: I believe there are only 2 rooms and 2 suites, so book early
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Les chambres sont superbes et l'accueil est chaleureux. Tout est impeccable. On se sent bien et la vue de la terrasse est magnifique. Le personnel nous met en confiance et s'occupe de nous de façon remarquable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The hospitality was first rate at Dar Moula, from the welcome to the departure. A great setup, with attractive, comfortable private rooms and baths (a very firm bed in our room), a common room and a rooftop terrace. The food was especially good. While the host is somewhat pushy about his preferences for your itinerary - including an arrangement with buddies for visiting the nearby tannery - he knows his stuff and is still a great host.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I was impressed by Dar Moula's excellent reviews and reasonable rates, so my husband and I stayed for five nights while we explored Fez and the surrounding region. We couldn't have been happier with our choice! We got to know the friendly and accommodating staff, and they went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. They walked us to tour meet-ups in the medina, helped us buy supplies and escorted us to the public baths, and even negotiated with our tour guides for later start times! The guesthouse is a restored 16th-century home with a panoramic view of the medina from the rooftop terrace, where breakfast is served on sunny days. The free breakfast is fantastic and includes various Moroccan breads and spreads, eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice and some of the best mint tea we had during our stay. If you're looking for a great place to stay in Fez, look no further!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Great Rial! What a great experience!

Location: Right in the centre of the Fes Medina, with a rooftop that offers great views of the city. It cannot get any better. Yet, be careful when u arrive - the medina is a labyrinth of narrow streets, so u can easily get lost. The entrance to the hotel is on an extremely narrow street and u can easily miss it. In case u cannot find your own way, u can either call the rial and ask for a somebody to take from one of the gates (it's 5 min walk, Bab Rcif) or pay one of the kids that will offer to show you the way. Either way, it's better to plan your trip so that u arrive during the day. Night-time can be scary for a tourist in the medina.

Rooms:
If I dare say, a 4-5* experience. The rooms look a lot better on site than in the pictures. We used the amber room and the manzeh suite on 2 different stays . Both decorated in traditional Moroccan style, very joyful and good size. All the guests have access to a nice lounge with wireless internet and the terrace. Breakfast and dinner on the rooftop, with great views.

There is a great difference between what is outside the rial (the medina itself, which is crowded and dirty) and the rial (everything spotless clean and peaceful).

Breakfast and dinner.
Breakfast is included and it's pretty good: traditional bread and pancakes, butter, gem, eggs, milk, juice and coffee. Dinner is a must. Costs 10 euros, and it's worth the money, as Lamiae cooks wonderful.

The people.
Lamiae and Rashid make u feel like family. Was most impressed when Lamiae asked us our names and the repeated then until she could pronounce them correct. She's got a great positive energy! She wakes up first and goes to bed last, still she is always smiling and helpful. She cooked a great dinner for us and served it on the terrace, by the candlelight. Most romantic dinner ever.

They really make u fell safe and welcomed. Rashid says - everything for my clients - and really does it. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I felt so comfortable at Dar Moula. The rooms were clean, the staff is great, has perfect location and view, and it's very pretty. Oh and it's at least half as expensive as comparable places.

Rashid (the owner) does all he can to make your experience in fez as comfortable and exciting as you wish. On top of being great company (speaking excellent English) he knows his city inside and out. The best food i ate in morocco has been by his reccomendation. Speaking of food his breakfasts are great, ask for the salty eggs!

Feel free to tell him when you will arrive in fez as he will pick you up if he can. I made the mistake not to and although it's very easy to find, dealing with touts could be avoided.

Ah! Almost forgot about the wifi, it reached into my room which was the furthest away so I assume it makes it into all rooms. I don't know why more places don't have this.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I enjoyed every aspect of my 2 day stay at Dar Moula. The location is in the heart of the medina, yet close enough to taxi service to make it accessible. The rooms were newly renovated and nicely decorated. Rooftop views were great and it is a relaxing respite to sit comfortably above all that busyness that is in the medina. Sodas and snacks are in the fridge (payment is on the honor system).
Rashid, the owner/operator (whose English is great!) really shined with his concierge-like service. He's a life-long resident of Fez and loves to show off his city's best. Landmarks, points of interest, history, etc. He can tell you about it all. I had expressed interest in purchasing a rug while in Fez, and only AFTER I talked to Rashid about my interest did he recommend a trustworthy salesman. He even accompanied me on the rug purchasing trip and gave a couple of general rug-buying guidelines beforehand. to be sure, there was still plenty of bartering but I was comforted knowing that I wasn't going to be purchasing a low quality product from a shady seller.
I would recommend staying here to anyone wanting a great riad experience!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends