“Beautiful, peaceful respite from the hustle of the old medina outside.”
Review of Ryad Salama Fes

Ryad Salama Fes
Ranked #12 of 223 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Chocolatine room which had a lovely sitting room and a balcony which overlooked the courtyard. The room itself was gorgeous and inviting, with a beautiful stained glass window, which obscured a nonview. The bathroom was very pretty, but the shower temperature was a little hard to regulate. Breakfasts were delicious with croissants, pain au chocolat (yum), French toast, fruit and other delicious offerings. Michel, the owner, was in the hotel business at the corporate level for many years and runs a very professional operation. His English is perfect, and he is helpful and knowledgeable about Fez.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 11 November 2012

A beautiful quiet spot, lovely rooms, nicely decorated, comfortable beds and bedding with private balconies overlooking the courtyard and small pool. The evening meals we had were delicious and we found them better and more interesting than those in nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We had a wonderful 3-night stay at the Ryad Salama. Getting there from the parking lot where our taxi dropped us off was confusing the first time, but Michel gave great directions and we didn't have trouble getting back. The riad was so wonderfully peaceful after the quick walk through the busy medina. Our room, Clementine, is spacious and beautiful. You reach it by it own staircase. The carved wood headboard and the antiques shows Michel's attention to design. The bed is firmer than in American hotels, but we like it this way and I slept very well. The room was well insulated from sound - I did not hear the calls to prayer. The loggia and the small balcony overlooking the garden made the room even larger. The bathroom was spacious and the rain shower was great. Nice toiletries are provided though there was no lotion. The garden is beautiful and looks great in the day and at night when it's all lit up.

The breakfast is plentiful and varies a bit from day to day. We had dinner 2 nights at the riad and the food was great. Michel also serves cocktails and wine at reasonable prices. The mint tea they served on our arrival was so aromatic and refreshing.

Michel was so helpful prior to and during our stay. He was very quick to respond to emails. He is also open to suggestions and established a PayPal account after I mentioned it to him for more convenient payment. He arranged our taxi from Chefchaouen to Fes and was very accommodating when I asked him to change our pick-up time in Chefchaouen. He also served us an early breakfast prior to our 7:00 departure. He accepts euros, dirhams or credit cards (without a surcharge) for payment. He is a very gracious host and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for him to arrange for. He took us on a tour of some of the rooms the evening before we left, including the new suite which is probably open now. Michel really cares about his product and it showed as he talked to us about how he remodeled the riad. The ladies at the riad were also great - they always had smiles on their faces and we felt very welcome and well attended to.

We didn't enjoy Fes much, mainly because we found people who want to serve as guides very pushy and aggressive. We didn't feel in danger at any time, but it was annoying to have someone follow you for a long time, despite repeated statements that we did not want their help. Good thing we had the Ryad Salama to escape to and chill out.

Michel's prices are very reasonable given the beauty and comfort of the riad. I read a LOT of TripAdvisor reviews before choosing this riad. It was not ranked very high when I booked it, probably because it doesn't have plenty of reviews yet because it's been open only for a year, but it will probably go up in ranking soon because it is a wonderful place. I don't know if we will go back to Fes, but if we do, we will definitely stay at Ryad Salama.

Room Tip: The suites are larger of course and also have either a large balcony or patio, but we found the Clem...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed 4 nights at the marvellous Ryad Salama. Rooms are nicely decorated, beds very comfortable, the Ryad itself is a jewel in the heart of the medina (it even has a small beautiful swimming pool), extremely clean and easily reachable by foot from the nearby parking.
The manager Michel is extremely helpful and the staff really kind. When I arrived I told the kitchen that I was vegan and the cook arranged vegan meals especially for me during my whole stay, she even veganized some typical moroccan breads and crepes making them suitable for me, letting me have the feeling that I was enjoying my personal vegan restaurant!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank VeganTrav
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Amazing service, wonderfully decorated...a masterpiece of hospitality. Michel, the owner, thought about every detail to make his guest's stay in Fes unforgettable. I strongly recommend this ryad if you are looking for uniqueness, elegance and quality. My tip? Try the gastronomic menu for dinner. For me, it deserves 3 Michelin stars!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Absolutely beautiful ryad. I found myself saying several times that I wish I could live there forever! Great location, right in a convenient part of the Fes medina, but not too noisy. Compared to many other ryads in medinas, this was easy to find based on the ryad’s map and markers in the medina. When you enter the doors you are walking into an oasis with beautiful and lush flowers, trees, a fountain, and a pool. Gorgeous rooms, I believe we stayed in the Capucine room. Michel is a very charming , funny, and helpful host (he is French but speaks English fluently) and he greeted us with tea and Moroccan cookies upon our arrival. We were very pleased with the breakfast, lots of Moroccan and French options. We ate dinner at the ryad one night and the food was wonderful. Very accommodating when we wanted an early breakfast. On this trip we visited three different ryads in Morocco and this was our favorite. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Our group of four stayed at Ryad Salama in June, immediately after a three day trip through the Atlas from Marrakech.

The Ryad is tucked away in the Medina, and is a sight to behold on stepping over the threshold into the courtyard. Beautifully decorated and quiet and peaceful, it is the perfect place to make your home base to "retire" from the bustle of over 9000 streets and lanes in the old city.

This place is five star accommodation and host Michel is rightly proud of the work he has done to restore and fit out spacious rooms with top quality appointments.

Meals are also first class - breakfast will set you up for well into the afternoon, and dinner is a treat.

The staff are delightful too.

If you ask, Michel will be pleased to arrange a guide for a day - strongly recommended - as it will help orient you in the medina but also allow you to absorb the fascinating history of Fes.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends