“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spa Laaroussa

Spa Laaroussa
Ranked #1 of 14 Spas & Wellness in Fes
More attraction details
Owner description: Authentic private hammam and massage room. The original traditional steam bath of Riad Laaroussa has been restored to its ancient use and beauty. Offering aromatic body scrub and relaxing massages for up to 2 people.
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I absolutely loved our experience getting a hamman + massage at Dar Laroussa -- it was perfect for my mom and I to do together on our last day in Morocco (the maximum is two people at a time). They sent a man to pick us up at our riad (absolutely essential, as we'd only been in the medina one night and definitely didn't know our way around). The hammam was unlike any spa experience I've had before -- very simple, but luxurious. The ladies who scrubbed us down were very sweet, pausing to laugh and show us how much dead skin came off when they used the scrubber and the black soap (we must have been hilarious to them, who do this once a week). They told us stories about what life is like for women in the medina. The hammam itself is also beautiful, with high ceilings and black marble walls. The massage was a solid relaxation massage -- not the best I've ever had, but entirely enjoyable. After we were done, we went into the riad's courtyard to settle up, and the concierge brought us sweet, fresh squeezed orange juice and cookies. A man patiently guided us back to our riad (even more necessary, since we were both floating at this point).

Visited October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A truly 'clean' experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I was alone in the hammam which was a very relaxing and indeed quite a liberating experience. I felt scrupulously clean after being 'scrubbed' down with the special black soap used for this experience. The member of staff who conducted this part of the spa treatment was charming, helpful and made sure that I was comfortable. The waiting area for the next stage, the massage, was restful - plenty of water to drink and dried fruit and nuts to nibble on. The massage itself was very enjoyable and the masseuse made sure that the strength of the massage was to my taste. I would highly recommend a visit. I was asked by the owner for my views on the whole experience and if I had any feedback which would assist in making it even more enjoyable. The owners really do want you to enjoy every experience in their Riad.

Auckland, New Zealand
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Pricey & little rough around the edges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were advised this Hamman and Spas is the best in the Fes Medina, so we booked in for the full private hammam and spa treatment as a couple. It was an interesting experience having never had a hammam before, but not one we'd repeat.

We were kept waiting for about 20 minutes, the facilities while pleasant to look at, smelt musty in the changing area and hammam itself. The hammam attendants where no nonsense in their approach, and provided very little instruction as to what to do, so we were a little unsure of the process or what was happening. They also managed to drip black eucalyptus soap into my eyes, which was fairly unpleasant. The massage was relaxing, more soothing than a therapeutic massage. The therapists used a huge amount of massage oil, so much so I was dripping when I got off the table. The spa facility was very warm, too warm for Western tastes and would have benefited from more aircon.

If you are after a cultural hammam experience in private, rather than braving a public facility then I'd give it a go if you're not bothered by the price. If you are wanting a genuine spa treatment, I'd look elsewhere. Overall, the experience was promoted as 5 star, but in reality was fairly rough around the edges.

Portland, Oregon
“Wonderful service in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

My friend and I received the Hammam and massage services from Riad Laaroussa and it was nothing short of magnificent. We were met at our hotel by a lovely man who led us through the medina to the riad. Once we arrived, we were given tea and cookies while we waited. The Hammam and message were wonderful and the staff was welcoming and accommodating. If you get a chance, be sure to visit the roof for the magnificent views. Highly recommended!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

The first thing I did after check-in was book myself a hammam and massage. It was low season so I was able to book a slot immediately for later that afternoon. I was not disappointed. The space is beautiful, the staff are professional and the experience wonderful. Highly recommended!

Visited July 2013