“My best trip in Morocco”
Review of Sahara Desert Crew

Sahara Desert Crew
Ranked #3 of 172 Outdoor Activities in Fes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: SAHARA DESERT CREW offer unique and flexible itineraries for trips all around morocco, be it in the imperial cities, the desert or around the coast, at very reasonable prices that includes transportation, bivouac and accommodation. Trips come with a private guide who has the knowledge and experience to recommend a variety of activities to satisfy the needs of any client such as fossils exploration, camel trekking, quad rides, visits to local Berber families and weekly markets.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I took a three day tour with Sahara Desert Crew from Fes to Marrakech...it was such a brilliant time. Youssef was our tour guide and he couldn't have done a better job with us. One of my favourite parts of travel is getting to know people and Youssef wasn't an exception; he was enjoyable to talk with, I felt confident in his company, I trusted him, and I enjoyed all the conversations we had whether they were me prodding him about personal questions or him giving us lots of information about where we were visiting.
The tour was great and although a personal tour guide is a much more expensive option, I do believe it is worth it. The drive is long from Fes to Marrakech, the roads are really windy, and there are a ton more places you can stop off to take pictures or stretch if you are with a guide, plus the busses just looked packed and uncomfortable. Youssef's vehicle was clean, new and comfortable - he offered for us to control the temp to make sure we were comfortable, had a cable so we could play our own music if we wanted and even has wifi in his SUV (which was a huge bonus for me when there was some important things back home I needed to deal with).
The hotels were all really good (sometimes it is possible to get less expensive hotels and save a bit of money on your trip that way) but as for the regular package the accommodation was wonderful (very clean, warm, large rooms) and the food was excellent.
I'm in Morocco since 2011 and i had never used western union for a deposit and did not like this an an option at all. Youssef could sense my hesitance and since we were in the same place at the same time he was willing to meet earlier to get my deposit that way. I did learn after the fact that this is normal here and if I was doing this trip again I would trust giving a deposit to Youssef this way no problem.
I would most definitely recommend this company and this tour. Youssef went above and beyond to treat us well and I am happy we had the pleasure of meeting him, taking this tour and seeing what an absolutely breathtaking place the Sahara Desert is. I can't wait to come back!!!

6  Thank tiniritravel2014
in 6 reviews
"marrakech trip"
"tour guide and driver"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour to anyone"
"berber language"
"cautious driver"
"private tour"
in 9 reviews
"great travel"
"berber families"

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Since I read good reviews, I asked the company a desert tour and costomized trip. At the first time, Youssef gave me a quick response on a desert tour. But on the second email, he gave me a wrong price that seems so expensive. It was his mistake. I tried to be humorous and told him that I was surprised with the price.
Well.. he asked me to find another company with a website. I was so embarrased with his response. However, I explained what he misunderstood, and it seems the issue was resolved. I'd like to choose one tour, but the company did not give a reply on customized trip. I sent him two reminders that I was waiting his reply on my first request. He did not reply me, and I did not get any reply for a cosomized trip.
I am preparing a trip with my mom and sister.. and I already had bad expereince about Morocco.

9  Thank Soohee L
Youssef Y, Owner at Sahara Desert Crew, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

It's really surprised us to see the review you have posted about us, Yes we was in contact with you for about a mounth and we had responded a thousand of questions you had (that was a pleasure), but when you changed your opinion about the 3 days trip we were talking about and you wanted a customized trip for 8 days starting from Rabat ending in Tangier for 5000 to 6000 Moroccan dirhams for 3 peoples, (that mean 250 dirhams per day for each of you) and you wanted this price to cover everything ( 4wd for about 4000 km, gaz, Driver, Guide, Accommodations with Dinner and Breakfast). that why we did send you other companies websites maybe you can find with them what you are looking for.
Here is a part of your message : (I'd like to know an approximate price for 8 days tour.
Below is detailed request.
- plan: Rabat in/1 day - Marrakech 1 day- Desert 2 days- Fes 1 day -
Mekenes 1 day - Chafchaoen 1 day- Tangier out
- number of people: three
- our budget: 5000-6000 MAD except food & tip).

You can prove it if that's not true!!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

After a month of correspondence about our 5 day trip (he was very prompt in answering our questions) Youssef met us in our hotel lobby at the assigned time. He was neatly dressed and very professional - his SUV was immaculate. It's not easy spending the better part of 5 days with someone you don't know. But Youssef is such an interesting, nice, knowledgeable and easy-to- be-with person that we looked forward to seeing him each morning and were sorry to see the trip end in Fes. With each place we visited, especially the off-road "middle of nowhere" part of the trip, we felt we were getting an insiders perspective - something special. At one point of the trip he asked us if Morocco was what we expected. After being on this tour with him, we would say it was a thousand times more. Thank you Youssef and continue doing what you do best!!

6  Thank fairfax10
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We travelled with Youssef and Ali for 3 days from Fez to Marrakech, an amazing road trip through South Morrocco. With Sahara Desert Crew you can customise your trip as you like, your guide is by your side to help you choose accommodation and restaurants of your preference - from the most luxurious to the most basic local restaurant on the side of the road, the choice was entirely mine. They even helped me buy carpets in a reasonable price when we stopped at a village, a fraction from the prices in the cities.
On the first day we drove through the green Atlas Mountains where we fed the Berber monkeys to the desert, we reached the Erg Chebbi sand dunes, rode the camels and stayed the night in the Sahara desert in a Berber tent but with all the comforts of a hotel (beds,wc)
After that we drove through mud built villages, ancient Kasbahs, through the rose valley to deep gorges and up the highest pass of the Atlas mountain.
A fantastic experience, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to experience the country and see more than just Marrakech. They speak almost every language and can arrange trips from one day to almost a month, depending on your own time and budget.
I couldn't recommend any other tour operator higher, they are the most honest of all guides, they are not accepting commissions from shops (a common practice in morocco), stop wherever you like on the road, always explaining every bit of the trip and understanding your needs and what you want to see rather than take you to a box-standard tour. A+++++++

8  Thank Onemightyfinedog