“A Jewel in Fes”

Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Fes
New York City, New York
“A Jewel in Fes”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Palais Faraj was lovingly restored by its current owner Mr. F. Driss in 2008 and the renovation is a labor of love. The architecture, exquisite tile work, chandeliers, hand woven rugs and attention to detail make it one of the best luxury experiences! The staff is attentive and the food in the restaurant is the best in Fes. Mederic Fauchillle the General Manager was everywhere making sure that all his guests were taken care of. Three master chefs in the kitchen prepare local cuisine and a must have is the Traditional Moroccan Fes salad which is an assortment of 9 salads exquisitely prepared. The spa and hamman are luxurious and fit for royalty. We visited the spa/hamman twice during our three night stay and found the staff to be well trained and extremely professional, our spa therapists were Raja and Sophie and they were great! Our suite had a terrace that overlooked the Medina and it was just breathtaking. Fes is an amazing city and this Riad elevated our experience over the top!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Utah, USA
Reviewed 12 April 2013

For the price of an average hotel in a large American city (which is my usual comparison point), you could be staying in a deluxe suite with impeccable and friendly service, delightful architectural features, delicious food and jaw-dropping luxurious decor in one of the most interesting and unique cities in the world. That was our experience at Palais Faraj. For me the lodgings define the "feel" I take away from a city. And that feeling was happiness and pinch-me-am-I-really-here gratitude for the experience. Live it up: go to the spa, eat in the restaurant, sit in the courtyard, return after a walk in the medina to your palace away from home. The only caveat to the visitor is to take with a grain of salt all the blandishments and claims and hype and salesmanship and commercial zeal that the city guides throw your way. I wish this fine establishment could hire its own truly objective guides, but it appears they are reliant on what the tourist office provides them. I would be back here in a heartbeat (a quickened heartbeat at that).

Room Tip: We stayed in the smallest, the Junior Suite, and I can only imagine the glories of the larger suites...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This hotel is seriously beautiful with well-appointed, completely tiled rooms, modern bathrooms, and very comfortable beds. There is a hammam in the basement, and a restaurant and bar on the top floor with great views of the medina and the surrounding area. The hotel is very clean and well-managed by a helpful and courteous staff. The food was very good, especially the breakfast buffet, and the hotel is a well-located next to a southern gate into the medina.

Room Tip: Confirm that room has a shower in addition to a tub if that is important to you.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 16 March 2013

That's the first impression a traveler experiences entering the square through an arched portico
walking down carpeted stairs through a splendid entrance.The decor is pure Moroccan.After
check-in step into a alcove to view the city and admire the hotel pools while sipping Moroccan tea served as you recline on a richly appointed sofa. Love that tea. Refreshed and ready to explore
the ancient passageways of the nearby medina. Our knowledgeable guide took us to watch handloomed scarves being made,the dyepits to color leather and a palace filled with stacks of rugs, all a riot of color. My visit was memorable thanks to my stay at Palais Faraj.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Have you ever hear about Palais Faraj. Since I've experienced a nice stay in this hotel I would like to share with you my comments: the hotel is located in a place where you can easily either go to the old medina to travel through the history of the place with the monuments museums mosques souks.Etc Or to go to the new city to discover the lifestyle of fassi people. The hotel has a great spa and friendly staff with unquestionable professionalism. In the restaurant I have tasted a unique Moroccan food with reasonable value for money.brief, it is luxury experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Meknes, Morocco
Reviewed 28 January 2013

this hotel is very nice .It reflects the real moroccan architecture.the staff are very friendly and available all the time.I asked for a visit in the medina and they arranged an excellent english speaking guide who knows all about the history of the medina.one day I decided to eat outside and the receptionnist recommend to me a very nice french restaurant which is located in the new city(good recommendation by the way).When I went to the spa for massage for my first time, the front desk agent escorted me till the spa reception where a lady working there welcomed me with a smiling face.then, I had a unique relaxing massage which I've never had before during my vacation in Morocco.
Briefly,If someone wants to spend a good time in Fez this is the best place i can recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank john g
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious with all the amenities of a 5 star hotel, the food in the restaurant is delicious (ranked #4 on tripadvisor for restaurants when we visited) and the spa is nice. Our room was a great place to hole up in when we wanted a break from the Fez medina. Oh, and the breakfast is delicious (the Spanish omeletes!)

However, I wonder if Fez would be better done staying in a riad with its very personalized service. In Marrakech, we stayed in a Riad where the manager personally gave us directions to every single place in the morning we would want to visit, showed us on a map, and made sure we knew how to get everywhere. In Fez, which is a city exponentially more difficult to navigate than Marrakech, we asked the front desk for directions and were given a map, with some basic directions on how to get into the medina. Once inside the medina, within 2 minutes we were lost, and we ended up hiring a half-day guide to show us around (and we typically like to do everything on our own). Once we were done with the guide, we asked the taxi to drive us to Bab Ziat, which is what we were told to do at the hotel. The driver dropped us off somewhere, and we had no idea where our hotel was in relation. We asked people in cafes, security guards along the road, taxi drivers, and no one knew of our hotel or could read the map that was given to us by our hotel. We eventually stumbled and found our way to the hotel, but the experience was made more scary by the fact that we were being aggressively followed / hassled by a group of teenage boys. When we came back to the hotel and asked what we should do next time, the person at reception said 'just tell the taxi driver Bab Ziat. He probably didn't understand you because you were speaking English.' Helpful.

Because of that experience, we were actually put off by going back into the medina ourselves. That night we wanted to eat dinner at a place that was highly recommended by everyone but was in the medina. The people at reception were unable to give us even basic directions, whereas I feel like the manager at our riad in Marrakech would have personally walked us if we felt uncomfortable. So instead, we had to settle for the hotel's recommendation for an average and expensive French restaurant in the New City because we could take a taxi straight to/from the location.

Finally, the same person at reception seemed very concerned about an umbrella we had borrowed on the first day. I told them that we wanted to keep it until the end of the trip (thankfully because it poured rain the next day). It was strange for a luxury hotel, as at other five star hotels, I have never been asked about making sure I returned the umbrella (even though I always do).

I've actually had friends stay at this hotel before, and they loved the service they received. So perhaps I was just put off by one specific person or incredibly spoiled by the service we received in Marrakech, and hopefully it was a one-off experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
palaisfaraj, Directeur général at Palais Faraj Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Palais Faraj Suites & Spa!

I would like to thank you for choosing the Palais Faraj for your stay in Fez, also I thank you for your valuable comments.

First of all I would like to sincerely apologized for the misconduct of my team and the lack of information you received during your stay.
This is not at all our standard of service, and the special treatment we want to provide to all our guest.
The medina of Fez is a huge pedestrian city of 1200 little streets and we definitely ask our guest to have an Official local guide in order not to get lost and visit this beautiful medina the best way possible.

Again I thank you for the time you took to give us this comment, and wish to have the opportunity to welcome you again to the Palais and take personally care of all your needs.

Kind Regards,