All reviewsbeautiful hotelrooftop restaurantinternational menuambassador suiteturn down servicefamily vacationbreakfast staffold palaceseparate sitting areawould highly recommend this hotelmoroccan restaurantsitting roomthe hotel offersluxury hotelmoroccan charmmosaic tilespanoramic view
Reviewed 6 June 2013

What a stunning hotel. We stayed here 3 nights during an 8-day tour of Morocco and I could not have been happier with this choice. It is very well-located, but I found it nice to be just at the wall of the Medina instead of in the thick of it, so that coming back to the room was very relaxing and quiet. The grounds are really beautiful, with a tiled courtyard and numerous sitting rooms that have been restored to perfection. There is a pool off the main courtyard as well, which is a delightful way to end a day of hard touring.

The rooms are exquisite. We stayed in just a regular suite and could not have asked for anything more . It was very spacious, with a good-sized bedroom and adjacent living room. The bed is supremely comfortable with cushy white linens, bathrobes and really nice bath products are supplied. Maid service is prompt and thorough. But the most important thing about the rooms is really the gorgeous little details: the painted ceiling, the fresh flowers, the intricate tilework. You'll feel like a king/queen/princess/sultan/take your pick.

The hotel breakfast is very tasty and complete. There is also a wonderful bar with panoramic views of Fes. We did eat in their fine dining restaurant one night, and it was quite good.

The staff at this place is excellent, very attentive and helpful. They were willing to make a breakfast for us very early in the morning on the day we had to leave as we were departing before the dining room opened. They arranged a tour for us and would have supplied guides to lead us around the medina if we had so wished. Everything was done promptly and extremely politely, the service at this place is genuinely top-notch. If you are into spas, their spa is amazingly beautiful and to a New Yorker, the rates are *incredible*. I didn't do any spa stuff because I don't really like spa treatments, but I kind of wished I did because they showed it to me and it was so lovely!

I really feel this stay was memorable because of the stunning premises and meticulous service, but also because I just couldn't believe the value I was getting for what I was paying. In sum, I can't recommend this place highly enough for a romantic, beautiful, memorable stay in one of the most striking cities one can visit.

2  Thank neimanmarxist
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Beautiful hotel outside the medina. We had the ambassadors suite which was way bigger than what we needed! The restaurant was unbelievable.. So much so that we broke our rule and ate there both nights of our trip to Fes! The chicken tagine with pumpkin was AMAZING. Restaurant staff is friendly and went above and beyond for us. The wifi does not work consistently in the rooms. The breakfast was great and they made to order if you want omelettes etc. We had a huge king bed, very comfortable. And the hotel arranged a tour guide for us, Abdel, who stayed with us for over TEN HOURS showing us the city. You have to specify when you book that you want one of the few rooms with a view of the medina.. Otherwise, the only view is from the restaurant or outside terrace.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank April A
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We have had the privilege of staying in some very nice hotels. (Amarvilas, Udaivilas, that sort of place in India.) This place is gorgeous and authentic--and minus a view of the Taj, has them beat! (Has Vanity Fair done a photoshoot here yet?) We stayed in the 'Ambassador Suite'--and I am sure the ambassadors have been impressed, too. The hotel is replete with restored fountains, tilework and marble. It overlooks the medina and much of old Fes and the surrounding hills. If someone could have wave a magic wand over my itinerary so I could stay here three days longer--it would have been superb. Our suite was beautifully appointed with views in two directions, sofas and chairs in subtle shades of grey and deep violet-gray velveteen, inlaid tables. The bath, and wardrobe were first rate, and hamman and spa services beautifully executed.

Room Tip: Consider landing here on a birthday or anniversary as a special stay...
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We staid here with 2 persons for a romantic getaway in a suite for the price of about 500 EUR or three nights. The room was exquisite. Two separate toilets, a bath, a separate shower (a very large one), a separate sitting area. A view on the pool. The whole hotel is beautiful. It truly is a palace. The staff is also very friendly. This also applied to the reception staff who were always available and courteous. After booking, we were proactivily contacted concerning their offering in terms of the spa and guided tours. Breakfast consisted of a variety of Moroccon breads, confitures, fruit, eggs, etc. We had dinner twice there and the food was quite good. Of course, the scene is fantastic (views of Fez). The spa is very nice as well with good massage and Hammam (the latter having felt a bit rushed though).

So, what is stopping me from awarding the full five points then? I will engage in a bit of nit-picking but for a place with this much going for it, they should strive for perfection. But these comments should not deter anyone from going there. In fact, I would gladly return to the place. But still... there is a problem of communication in the hotel. How do you see it: you order some food for lunch (club sandwich -nothing fancy), but after an hour, nothing there yet. After asking reception, the food was there within 5 minutes. Great, but this intervention should not have been necessary. Of course, this can happen anywhere...once. But, the second time we had lunch there, again it took them almost an hour to prepare somehing simple. Ai.... Also, staff go about their assigned business but they do not "see" things like absence of towels at the pool. Again, you have to ask. In a place like this (yes, I am being very demanding), staff should notice these things and take care of it automatically. But probably, there is a "towel" person who is assigned to do this rather than all members of staff feeling responsible for and hence seeing and dealing with all aspects of service. Then we ordered a coke light. We get a regular coke. They were out of coke light. Two days later, same thing. It's a hotel! How can you be out for three days of such a basic thing? It's a 25 room hotel. How difficult can it be to stock up in time? Someone forgot to communicate with whomever does the purchasing perhaps? We also had ordered a day trip to Meknes. Reception told us the pick-p time was 9h30. But the driver does not show up the next day. After checking apparently the reception told him to come at 10h? At breakfast, they do not notice quickly enough the hot water has to be replenished; one day there was a full range of fruit, the other it was not being replenished; tea pots also were not being replenished, etc. .... In the Spa, staff were very friendly, but while doing the massage, something must have been very funny as both masseuses (who did a good job otherwise) were chuckling all the time. I wish I knew what was so funny. None of all these things individually are a big issue. But it is the fact that all of these small things happen in a few days that is a problem for a place that clearly has very high aspirations. It has been running for a year so this kinds of things should be sorted by now.

One bigger problem that the palais should really deal with is the fact that there are really too few sunbeds around the swimming pool. There is space for about 4 more without crowding the area. They are really needed.

But let these comments not put you off to book a room! It is a great place. I'm sure they will sort out these little things.

1  Thank freqbelgiantravel
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Let me start off by saying that I was very excited for my stay here coming from NYC. I had contacted the manager before my visit telling him it was our honeymoon and he even upgraded us to a suite prior to our arrival and gave his personal cell phone for questions.

Once we got there is where the problems started. The woman at the front desk just checked us in and never bothered to even show us around. once in the suite we see two random construction men on our terrace (the terrace has two doors one in our suite and one in the adjacent hallway) The employee with us wasn't appalled by this so I guess this is normal. Not typical of a five star.

As for their "renowned" restaurant: we wait 10 mins with noone seating us, get our own menu, when the waiter finally comes we tell him we don't speak French or arabic yet he keeps speaking French to us and looks at us puzzled. He then continues to ignore us for 15 mins and serves another table who he is speaking in Arabic. We finally get our drinks. He tells us that there is no regular coke in the entire resort (meanwhile the other table is being served regular coke). I ask for bread and it never comes. Finally after 45 mins to 1 hour in the restaurant and noone taking our order (the waitstaff kept saying yes and then leaving the room) I went back to the kitchen doors and found a moroccan waiter (Ahmed) who took our order. The meal tasted good but that was ridiculous.

The following day for breakfast Ahmed was the only waiter who was kind enough to serve us also. It seems that the other waitstaff is bending over backwards for guests if they speak French or Arabic but if you speak English your second class and noone cares or understands you.

In terms of beauty and decor this place is 5 stars but in terms of service it's a 1 star. I would definitely never stay here again. Its unfortunate because the manager who i had emailed and the manager who checked us out were so sweet and professional. Their other ancillary staff is clearly not up to par for a five star hotel especially for American/English guests.

• Stayed: April 2013