“100% great”

L'Amandier Palais Faraj
Ranked #1 of 207 Restaurants in Fes
Price range: US$27 - US$44
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“100% great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

OK I read the other reviews (I'm a huge fan of Tripadvisor) and decided to try it myself. I'd been to the bar at the Palais Faraj several times for tea or cocktails (and the Internet). Nice views - I think Fes is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. From the start I was impressed. Excellent service (Tariq was my waiter - superb - Tariq is one of those irritating names that can be spelled 15 different ways, a bit like John/Jon/Jean times ten); a really good waiter. Started with pigeon pastilla (fabulous), then chicken (excellent) and chocolate fondant with ice cream (very good). Cabernet Medaillon White (half bottle) - the best Moroccan wine. Sometime half bottles are hard to find. Oulmes (sparkling water - someone should export it). Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited June 2014

• Greek first
LONDON, CENTRAL
“Delicious food, great view, wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our Riad recommended this restaurant and we decided to spend our final evening in Fes here. Briliant decision! Everything was great including the subtle, live music. Delicious food (we loved the salads), lovely wine and the dessert was amazing - very thin pastry layers, almonds, strawberries and ice cream. And we don't usually eat dessert. Special mention to Tarik our waiter who did a fantastic job, made sure we were happy, gave good recommendations for wine and more. Next time we are in Fes, we will return.

• Visited May 2014
Paris, France
“An awful experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I went for dinner with a friend at L’Amandier, expecting a unique experience of Fassi cuisine served in style. We sat at a table with a lovely view over the Medina… but quite uncomfortable ‘designer’ armchairs. We were handed the menu. Then a cheesy waiter came to our table every minute at least half a dozen times to check if we were ready to place our order, despite the fact we had told him right away we would call him when we would be ready. It felt pushy, nosy and unpleasant –not exactly the kind of experience you would expect in a high-end restaurant.

We were served an assortment of Fassi salads, which were OK but very similar to any salads served in any tourist restaurant in the Medina. Unimpressive.

We ordered a second bottle of wine, and the cheesy waiter rudely told us with a smile that it wasn’t reasonable to do so because we wouldn’t be able to walk home!!! Unheard of in any restaurant, and totally inappropriate. We were shocked.

Then our tajines were served. My veal tajine had so much salt in it that it was inedible. I asked the Maître d’Hôtel to change it, which he promptly agreed to. Much to my surprise, he came back a couple of minutes later with a totally different tajine with artichokes –which I don’t particularly like–, arguing that it was already made…. I was astonished and of course refused to eat a different dish from the one I had ordered.

I asked for the manager to come to my table and was replied there was none –which could explain why this restaurant is so badly run! Then we decided to leave, and received a steep 1,500 Dirhams bill, with only one tajine discounted –which I hadn’t eaten anyway. Considering what had happened, a much more significant gesture would have been expected.

Unfortunately, it seems that this restaurant lives on its reputation rather than what it has become: a pretentious venue with inappropriate service and food that does not meet expectations.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank FrenchTraveler001
palaisfaraj, Responsable commercial at L'Amandier Palais Faraj, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your comment.

We are sincerely sorry to see that your experience at l’Amandier wasn't as perfect as expected.

Our Chef for the Moroccan cuisine is expert in old recipes, done exactly the same way they were done centuries ago It’s one of our rules of excellence, you can check by reading the reviews of pure Fassi people who attest that in l’Amandier, they recover the taste of their grandma tajines.

The veal shank Egg plant tajine that you have ordered is served moderately salty. Our chef prepares the dishes for the day. So it wasn't possible to serve a less salty version of it . it would have taken more than 03 hours. That’s the reason our maitre d’hôtel suggested another tajine.

In respect to the bill, 02 tajines were served, The maitre d’hôtel charged only one.

You asked to see the hotel manager, unfortunately it was 10.00 pm and he wasn't in service at that time.

We hope we can welcome you again in the future to have a better experience.
“The view is the highlight”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

The view is the highlight, the rest was uninspired and disappointing. The food was bland, the service poor and overpriced. Would not recommend.

Visited May 2014
Dear guest,

We thank you for sharing your comment and personal advice.

We are sorry to see that your experience in l'Amandier wasn't as perfect as expected.

As you can see in the other 100 comments, the restaurant is appreciated by the vast majority of the clients.

We hope we can welcome you another time in the future.
Rabat, Morocco
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best tagine I've ever had in Morocco - and I live here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

A great dining experience! I had the veal shank tagine Mderbel ('tagine de jarret de veau Mderbel') that was topped off with eggplant cooked in two fashions (roasted on the side and pureed). It is hands down the best tagine I have EVER had, and that's coming from an American who's spent nearly two years living and traveling in Morocco. Not only was the veal perfectly and tenderly cooked, but its juices and spices went amazingly well with the eggplant. If I wanted a bit more of the juices, I could use the pureed eggplant to soak them up; if I wanted less juice, I could use the roasted ones; or perhaps I just wanted a chunk of tender meat with the perfect amount of marble all on its own... so many ways to enjoy each bite!

My French boyfriend ordered the chocolate fondant and declared it the best he'd had ever had - quite the statement when it comes from a Parisian. The owner later explain that it had taken them 10 minutes in getting the fondant to the table because they had made three other fondants before deeming the 4th one perfect enough to serve!

They take their food seriously here, they are passionate about it and you can taste it!

• Visited April 2014