“Worst hotel experience ever! A complete rip off.”
Review of Royal Mirage Fes

Royal Mirage Fes
Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I stayed in this hotel during the Fes Festival in June. This year, 2010 was my 4th visit. I have never been very impressed by the hotel on any of my visits, but as it is booked by the company i have no say in the choice of hotels.

My experience each year is that the hotel staff are surly, unhelpful and often downright rude. Everything is too much trouble. You are treated as though you are some sort of inconnvenience. The rooms are grubby. The buffet breakfast is unappetising and looks like it has been sitting out for hours. The pool area is pretty and i watched the cleaner sweep the pool each morning and hose the tiles, but this means very little when later in the day the cleaner walks the length of the pool area dragging a dripping sack of rubbish and leaving a slimy, stinking trail behind her, which remains there all day. And as if thats not enough, one evening we wacthed a large rat swim the width of the pool!

There is loud entertainment in the pool area until midnight (bear in mind the rooms surround the pool, so there is no getting away from the noise!)

The prices change depending on who you speak to. This year i was bringing my husband with me so we called ahead to find out how much supplement we would need to pay. We were quoted 250Dh per night (exchange rate is approx 10Dh to £). We checked Expedia - that said £20 per night. My husband arrived before me - he asked again about the supplement and was told 660Dh for the week. When I arrived i asked again and was told 640Dh for the week. I asked the receptionist to write this down for me and to confirm that was for the week and included breakfast. He confirmed this and gave it to me in writing with his name.

During the week we ate in the restaurant a couple of times and paid cash each time. On one occassion they asked us to sign for the bill. We refused and paid cash.

When I came to check out they wanted to charge us 6,000Dh for the week. When I argued and gave them proof of the amount they quoted they refused to accept it and said i should forget what was written down as it didnt count. I offered to pay what i had been quoted and handed them the money but they refused and sent our taxi driver away and told security that we could not leave! It didnt seem to matter what we tried to explain, they simply refused to listen and told us it was 6,000Dh or we couldnt leave.

Eventually 3 hours later the general manager arrived and through an intermediary we settled on 3,000Dh plus 100Dh for the restuarant. This 100Dh was for the food that we refused to sign for because we had already paid for it! Apparently whether you sign for it or not they will still charge you - twice! Needless to say i feel as thoug I have been ripped off.

I have very little to say about this hotel that is positive. In fact I am struggling to think of anything good to say - except that the reception area has new furniture this year and it looks good, and the gardens around the pool are well maintained.

Other than that - all I can say is STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTE!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 June 2010

It was 2007 when I went to Fes. I sadly did not stay in the Royal Mirage hotel Fes. I stayed in a below average nearby Waseem Hotel, but discovered this gem from the first night and dined there regularly.
The hotel is at the north end of the most beautiful street in "New" Fes, King Hassan II street. Virtually in the centre of "New" Fes.
FAS’ L’ JDEED = New Fes. Pronounced with a "French J"
FAS’ IL’ BALI = Old Fes. Must be visited.
They do the best Bastilla in Fes (and probably the world) at only £7.30 a dish. It won’t fill you up unless you are a size 0 model. We had one every night, without any exception.
An excellent quality bottle of wine there is only £9.75. Service is first class.
In my personal opinion, their Bastilla is the best dish I have eaten in my life, ever. The quality never fluctuates on the successive days that we had them.
I am now drooling while writing about them.
You can have an awesome buffet dinner there for 200 Dirham (£12.20).
There is always a nightly professional BELLY DANCING and Arabic singing in its "Moroccan Restaurant".
Do not miss that.
You can dine in their Buffet at 7pm then walk the 30 yards to this night club and it is OK to sit and just order a tea (30 Dirham, or £1.80) and enjoy the rest of the night. No admission fees.
We had our Bastillas there
Very good and courteous restaurant service.
You can walk down King Hassan II Street in late afternoon / early evening. It is “THE” place to be seen and Fes families and youths go to for a stroll every evening.
On the street, you will find many Internet cafes.
The Moroccan youths are very courteous and the complete opposite of our British threatening youths.
If you are in trouble, expect everyone walking nearby to offer you help.
Avoid their street Restaurants and stick to 5 star hotels food.
The trip to old Fes is 15 min by a red (Petit) Taxi costing only £1 (15 dirham).
In contrast to Agadir and Marrakesh, the Fes Petit Taxi drivers are probably the most honest in the world.
Probably because there are not many of us to spoil them.
They always start their metre when you get in, and sometimes a few hundred metres later.
If the total is 51 Dirham, they ask for 50.
At the same time, if the total is 49, then they expect 50 and they do not consider that as a tip.
So do not say “keep the change” unless you are giving them more than 5 dirham.
But, generally, they do not expect tips.
If you do tip them, then they will not refuse and their appreciation is genuine.
Do not be surprised if a stranger invited you to their home.
They will genuinely feel “honoured” that you accept their hospitality.
Go for it. You will then experience the “real Moroccan tradition”
If you are invited to a wedding, you will be the luckiest tourist that day.
Weddings are awesome, and apart from taking your shoes off (if the others have done so) they are very understanding, respect your culture and do not expect you to behave in any specific etiquette.
Just go for it.
Fes is one of the safest cities on earth and it is 100% safe for a single young lady to walk on her own at 2 O’clock in the morning. But, she will look definitely odd.
When you are in Old City, and if you like pastry, you will love to taste hot TREED, which is a type of puff pastry made while you wait.
There may be a long Moroccans queue if you come at the wrong time of the day (late afternoon). Do not worry. They are quite quick and you will not wait too long.
You can negotiate with a (Grand) taxi can take you on excursions lasting all day and costs 500-1000 Dirham (£30.5 - £61). much better and perhaps cheaper than renting a car.
If you ever go to Imozar (30 minute drive from Fes), visit the extremely poor elderly lady who lives in a hole in the ground (if she is still alive).
The hole was probably made by rainwater sinking in the ground.
She is very welcoming, hospitable and keeps her very cosy “house” exceptionally clean.
She is frail and extremely deprived. She lives on selling rugs that she makes with her very feeble eyesight.
All white Taxi drivers in Fes seem to know exactly where she lives.
She will make you a lovely Moroccan tea and offer you to buy one of her rugs. They were not bad at all and quite cheap.
We chose to give her 10 times the asking price (about £30) and forgot to take the rug with us.
She will survive on that amount of money for a month.
It felt wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank M_Jelloo
Reviewed 10 April 2010

It used to be a Sheraton hotel once upon a time so it is very large city hotel, with full hotel amenities and located in the Fes Al Jadid (the new part of the city). The next door to hotel is a beautiful Hassan II avenue boulevard so you can freely take a walk (if still keen to after all day walking through best world's labyrinth medina). The rooms are large, a bit old and breakfast not so charming but all together good service. Hotel has beautiful pool area. The internet is not free of charge; I would say rather expensive 25Dirhams per 30 minutes. All together good for a very confortable stay while in Fes.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Tihi33
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Royal Mirage in Fes has a very poor housekeeping regarding cleanness. Bathroom is in a very bad condition and the overall cleannes is bad. In the bathroom the toilets and bath was not cleaned daily and you found hairs from the guests before. Door locks to outide do not work propper and can be opened easily. Tables are dirty and the "fresh fruits" are musty. For businness stay total unacceptable. For tourist on low level price considered. No improvements in the rooms expected.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank Knirps1957
Benzoo, manager at Royal Mirage Fes, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2010

Dear Sir,

Further to your comment put down on Trip Advisor concerning your stay spent in our establishment, we pass on to you our sincere excuses for all these inconveniences.
The problems which you met sadden us a lot that we try of better possible to satisfy completely every customer whom we receive.

Once again, we are profoundly sorry,

Sincerely Yours

Royal Mirage Fes Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2009

The hotel was advertised as 4- to 5-star class, but the quality was less than 3-star at most. When I got to my room, the room key did not work properly so I called the maintenance staff to show me how to operate the key. 10 minutes and no one showed up so I had to ask a guest passing by the hallway to show me how to open the door. Restaurant was buffet style and the food was acceptable, but we had to wait a long time to get the bottled water that our table ordered. (When the water finally did arrive, the waiter just said "It's not my fault" rather than offering an apology.) The room was spacious and functional with all expected amenities including hair dryer, but there were pieces of hair on the bathroom floor, and big mosquitos in the room.

Overall this hotel did not meet any of the expectations for a 4-star hotel. There are a lot nicer and cheaper riads in medina.

• Stayed: July 2009