“Unparalleled panoramic view!”
Review of Les Merinides

Les Merinides
Ranked #66 of 101 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband's parents live in Fez, so every year when we visit we always make the trip to Les Merinides. I love to go during the late afternoon so I'm there long enough to enjoy the daylight views of the Medina just before sunset. It's the most beautiful panoramic view of the old city, just can't be beat. It's also very enchanting at night when you can see all the glittering lights below.

Having tea or coffee service on the terrace overlooking the city is an absolute must! Morocco offers some of the most sophisticated, delicious, bite-sized sweets. I would advise leaving your diet plans at home because you really wouldn't want to miss trying them. The waiters are very helpful and polite, so don't be offended if they don't come back to check on your every few minutes. It just isn't the same function here as it is in the states. If you need something else, wave them down.

I love that they don't rush you out to make room for more customers, no matter how long you stay. Our family and friends can sit and talk forever without the feeling that the waiter is hawking us. Moroccans know exactly the definition of "chillin" and will leave you to it in peace.

We've never stayed in their hotel rooms so I can't speak to that, but if you're planning a stay, I would ask the concierge to book you a room with a view of the medina.

Be careful to check the calendar for any religious holidays they may be celebrating at the time of your vacation because they will not offer alcohol. You will find this to be true of any establishment you visit during this time. Of course it's possible to find a sympathetic waiter, but you will have to be very private about it and not consume it in the open. A generous tip would be appropriate in this case.

Les Merinides is a meeting place for many a diplomat and important person. You may very well find yourself in the presence of wealthy Saudi visitors and representatives from both Africa and Europe. I would highly recommend wearing clean and neat attire, preferably a notch up from casual if you can. Although it's just a suggestion, not at all a requirement, because all types of visitors come here and they know especially with the youth that some only have hiking gear, etc.

Overall this is the place you will want to spend a relaxing time with your friends. I would make sure it is the last thing you have on your list for the day. With calming and spectacular views, you'll find that you may not want to leave!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Medina for the best view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mezdancer21

Reviewed 8 November 2011

This hotel has the most wonderful view overlooking Fez and a cocktail on the terrace in the evening is a must. Our room had a balcony from which the view was absolutely stunning. The rest of the hotel is pretty terrific also and the staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The choice of food was good, the bedroom wonderful, and the outdoor pool such a relief after a long hot day in the city. A truly memorable experience!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The hotel is a really classy,low profile hotel Nice pool, really good service!
The Room is huge, as well as the the bed!
Breakfast was amazing,
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to splash out on short break in fes. We ate in the restaurant once and it was very good, but we enjoyed better meals in the New Town,
The hotel is an oasis of calm in a pretty busy but fa ntasticcity.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sofak
Reviewed 10 August 2011

A lovely setting overlooking the Fez Medina--nice pool and bar but too many flies inside the hotel. Food was just average which was surprising given the apparent luxury of the facility. Service was fine but the staff did not go out of its way to assist.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Kestrel18
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Formerly a Le Méridien hotel, Les Merinides – with its magnificent view over the Fes medina – has seen better days. It might have been a five star hotel before it parted from the hotel chain, but I am suprised to see that it still is (at least according to signs and brochures) a five star hotel; the staff is unprofessional, doesn’t speak good English, and the service is poor, the rooms (at least mine) need a facelift, the wifi is unstable (or not working at all) and the breakfast – although they have a variety of food - is not very delicate.

I arrived in what might look like a five star hotel reception a Tuesday afternoon. I was assigned a room in which the housekeeping crew was still cleaning. I thought they might only need another minute, but when they brought in the vacuum cleaner and asked me to sit I left the room. In their outdoor bar/restaurant (one of three restaurants), I had to wait about 20 minutes for the beverage menu although I specifically asked if I could dine there. Twenty minutes after getting the right menu (and several failed attempts to get the servers attention, I left. There were probably five other guests there, so weren’t too busy... I decided to have room service instead, which turned out to be a bad experience as well.

But then there is the view. If you get a Medina-view room, you get a magnificent view of the Fes medina, and the surrounding areas of the city. But does the view make up for the poor standard and service? I might recommend it to friends just because of the view, but expect nothing more than three stars.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Medina
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Markus W
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Have been traveling to this hotel for about 5 times per year over the last 3 years and each time 3 or 4 nights. Each time we hesitated on going back, but the breath taking view convinced us of going back.
The hotel room and service is going down every time again. Wi-Fi is essential during our stay. They installed more and more wi-fi over the years, but none of them work.
When I ask the reception to do something about it, they look at each other and nothing happends.
Service could be a lot better, although we could not realy complain, maybe because we tipped quite a lot and were a regular visitor.
However, our latest visit was our last one !!!
The reception staff and the management is not ready to listen to our requests and not at all flexible. This situation closed the door for us.
We will never be back. Awful service.
Will try the Palais Jamaï or the Riad the Fes. To be continued.

Room Tip: ask definitely a room with view on the Medina.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank C-Vision
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Stayed here with a women-only group tour. I really liked this hotel despite having to use the windows to cool down the room (no AC in winter so they can get a bit stuffy). The rooms were cozy and beautifully decorated. But the best thing about this hotel was the sweeping view of the old city. The staff was friendly and helpful. We ventured off with a guide recommended by the front desk one day and she was terrible (not the hotel's fault thou). This hotel had the most comfortable beds that we stayed in during our trip.

• Stayed: February 2011