“Impressive”
Review of Les Merinides

Les Merinides
Ranked #66 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This hotel is situated on a hill overlooking the city of Fez. A pretty spectacular location. The hotel reception, public rooms, terrace and pool are very impressive. We were not so impressed with the bedrooms, yes, the beds are comfortable, the bathroom has all mod cons. But there was not a lot of space, we had to remove the table lamp in order to have room to put things on the only unit. The lamps and shades were too large on the bedside tables leaving no room for anything else. The curtains heavy and difficult to pull.
There was a good choice of food (buffet style) in the restaurant, with eggs cooked while you wait. But none of the dishes were labelled. I accidentally got a little of all 3courses on one plate! Tasted Ok!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Very nice location on the top of the hill overlooking fes, great swimming pool, I had great time in my stay at this hotel while touring Morroco. When I visit fFes again I will definitely stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is a great place to stay in Fes. Beautiful view of the city and Medina. Very comfortable. Stayed there on Wilderness travel trip.

Room Tip: Must have a room overlooking the city
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was a memorable stay. The back of the hotel overlooks the medina and gives a marvellous panoramic view over the city. The rooms are excellent and the restaurant was very good although it was typical Morocco buffet style. Too cold to use the pool but in warm weather it looks fantastic. Service excellent. The room was of a high standard and everything worked immaculately including the wi fi signal. Our room was at the back andnear a minaret and therefore within earshot at dawn, but that is to be expected in Morocco.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the medina.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas A
Reviewed 22 December 2011

This hotel is more upmarket than I would normally choose for my solo photography trips but it represented very good value for money at the price paid. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

My room was centrally located on the first floor facing the medina - superb view. The downside was Saturday late-night noise on from live music below.

Each morning I walked to the Medina via the path through the site of the Merenid tombs. This was quick, easy and very picturesque but was against the advice of the guy on reception who deemed it unsafe - wild dogs and suchlike. I judged him to be over-cautious .... however.... a Moroccan I met on the route the next day suggested I should be discrete with my camera bag, and a lady I met on the return flight mentioned she had been mugged on that route on an earlier visit. Anyway it seemed fine to me and I would use that path again but best to be on guard or take a taxi to the Medina if you're risk-averse.

All in all I was very happy with my short stay in Fes

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband's parents live in Fez, so every year when we visit we always make the trip to Les Merinides. I love to go during the late afternoon so I'm there long enough to enjoy the daylight views of the Medina just before sunset. It's the most beautiful panoramic view of the old city, just can't be beat. It's also very enchanting at night when you can see all the glittering lights below.

Having tea or coffee service on the terrace overlooking the city is an absolute must! Morocco offers some of the most sophisticated, delicious, bite-sized sweets. I would advise leaving your diet plans at home because you really wouldn't want to miss trying them. The waiters are very helpful and polite, so don't be offended if they don't come back to check on your every few minutes. It just isn't the same function here as it is in the states. If you need something else, wave them down.

I love that they don't rush you out to make room for more customers, no matter how long you stay. Our family and friends can sit and talk forever without the feeling that the waiter is hawking us. Moroccans know exactly the definition of "chillin" and will leave you to it in peace.

We've never stayed in their hotel rooms so I can't speak to that, but if you're planning a stay, I would ask the concierge to book you a room with a view of the medina.

Be careful to check the calendar for any religious holidays they may be celebrating at the time of your vacation because they will not offer alcohol. You will find this to be true of any establishment you visit during this time. Of course it's possible to find a sympathetic waiter, but you will have to be very private about it and not consume it in the open. A generous tip would be appropriate in this case.

Les Merinides is a meeting place for many a diplomat and important person. You may very well find yourself in the presence of wealthy Saudi visitors and representatives from both Africa and Europe. I would highly recommend wearing clean and neat attire, preferably a notch up from casual if you can. Although it's just a suggestion, not at all a requirement, because all types of visitors come here and they know especially with the youth that some only have hiking gear, etc.

Overall this is the place you will want to spend a relaxing time with your friends. I would make sure it is the last thing you have on your list for the day. With calming and spectacular views, you'll find that you may not want to leave!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Medina for the best view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mezdancer21
Reviewed 8 November 2011

This hotel has the most wonderful view overlooking Fez and a cocktail on the terrace in the evening is a must. Our room had a balcony from which the view was absolutely stunning. The rest of the hotel is pretty terrific also and the staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The choice of food was good, the bedroom wonderful, and the outdoor pool such a relief after a long hot day in the city. A truly memorable experience!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple