“Traditional yet uninspired decor. Poor value. Pass...”
Review of La Maison Bleue

La Maison Bleue
Ranked #63 of 99 Hotels in Fes
San Francisco
“Traditional yet uninspired decor. Poor value. Pass...”
Reviewed 8 December 2009

We stayed here 2 nights and were mildly disappointed. Traditional yet uninspired decor. Poor value (we paid $300 per night!). Semi-attentive staff. Sketchy location. The restaurant was mediocre: leathery steak, mediocre service, tourist trap, over priced. Avoid this place.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeonardoDiSF
RiadMaisonBleue, Guest Relations Manager at La Maison Bleue, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Dear Sir,

I am not quite sure why you chose to post this review nearly three years after your stay as its relevance is questionable.
However I think it's fair to say that since February 2007 there have been enormous changes at La Maison Bleue, both to the accommodation and the restaurant, and I hope any potential customers reading this will have the good sense to bear that in mind.
I would also invite you to visit us again and, in the interests of fairness, reevaluate your opinion.

Vanessa Bonnin

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Washington DC
Reviewed 5 July 2009

La Maison Bleue was, without a doubt, the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed in and is certainly the best in Fés. Upon arrival, I was upgraded to a deluxe suite at no extra charge. The deluxe suite was beyond incredible. Two floors of elegant furnishings, three sitting areas, a flat screen HD television, an enormous bathroom, beautiful bedding, and an overall feeling of luxury. My room overlooked the courtyard area, which was blessed with traditional live Moroccan music during dinner hours. I chose not to have dinner at the hotel, but instead to wander the medina at night, so I cannot speak to the quality or experience of the meal. However, I did have breakfast at the hotel and it was the most amazing breakfast of my life. 10 different kinds of bread, pastries, and treats - fresh coffee, juices, and fruits - warm rice with milk and honey - as well as jams and other delights I'm surely forgetting. My breakfast was included in my room rate, unlike several of the other riads I visited. Free wireless internet access was also included, which was a nice extra that many other riads do not include.
The aesthetics of the hotel are amazing. Walking in to the courtyard area takes your breath away with its high ceilings, ornate fixtures, and traditional Moroccan appointments. If you're looking for a romantic and tranquil experience in Fés, I would highly recommend a stay at La Maison Bleue.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank sberna2
USA
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Both hotels are in a very dangerous part of the city.
if you stay at either maison bleue, make sure you don't leave after 5 pm as the neighborhood is too dangerous for you to leave at night.
their food and service are horrible.

consider staying somewhere off Hassan II boulevard in the new city where it's very safe and you can come and go anytime of the day.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joetravelerUsa
Dear Sir,

We are not sure why this review has been allowed as you were not guests at either La Maison Bleue or Riad Maison Bleue and therefore your ratings on the rooms, service, cleanliness, food and so on are pure fiction.
As for the location, I am afraid you were the victim of deliberate disinformation on the part of a hotel tout. Both hotels are, in fact, in the safest areas of the medina. I am sorry you believed this and had the lesser experience of staying in the commercial area of the new town.
Unfortunately, when we refused to refund your deposit on your last-minute cancellation (a policy of all hotels) you could not see the hotel's side of it and so have posted this unfair and false review as revenge.
I am afraid that this review is based on misinformation and malicious intention and I hope it will be disregarded by potential future guests.

Vanessa Bonnin
Austria
Reviewed 16 August 2006

LOCATION - 5
Hotel is in the medina, right opposite the Batha museum on Place Batha, therefore easy to find and reach by car and only a 5 min walk from the main entrance to the medina. There are two public parking areas nearby.
ROOMS - 5
Rooms are very nice: spacious, luxurious and wonderfully decorated (classis Moroccan style). Many have private terraces or balconies and most offer a view on the medina, as does the roof top terrace.
SERVICE - 5
We never experienced better service during our trip in Morocco than in this hotel. All employees were very friendly and helpful, all spoke good English.
FOOD - 3
Breakfast was good and served on our private terrace. We didn’t dine in the main house, as we don’t like music and shows during dinner (so called palace dinner). Instead we chose the Riad (10 min walk thru the medina), which offers a great view from its rooftop terrace. The food was nothing special, but the employees once again very friendly and helpful. The Hotel and Riad are also licensed to serve alcohol.
FACILITIES – 3
Main house has no pool and no hammam, but you can use both in the Riad (the hammam costs extra). The pool is small. Internet access is possible.

This is a great, small luxury hotel in classical Moroccan style, with caring staff and superb rooms at an optimal position in central Fez. The food is only average quality.

• Liked — service, room
  • Disliked — food
  • Tips/Secrets — ignore motorcycle drivers pretending to want to help you find your hotel, ask only policemen
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank 2sm
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 December 2005

Everything about Maison Bleu was wonderful. Our room was magnificant. Large comfortable, and beautifully decorated. Our welcome was wonderfully warm and civilised. Beaurocracy kept to the minimum while focusing on whatever we could possibly need after a long and strenuous voyage. The service was fantastic. Helpfull and obliging. A spectacularly beautiful hotel filled with kind helpful and informative staff.

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chevy Chase, MD
Reviewed 6 March 2005

La Maison Bleue is even better when they screw up. I arrived after a miserable train trip from Marrakech. Someone else was in my room overlooking the medina. They put me in their best room, the grandmother's room, and promised I would move in the morning, but I didn't believe them. The next morning I took my bags downstairs and announced I was going to the Palais Jamai. They took me up to the top floor to my sunny room overlooking the medina and I couldn't move. They also sent me to dinner at the riad and catered to my every request. The service was wonderful, the staff was responsive to every request and the food was exquisite. The location was perfect! It was like experiencing only the best parts of staying with family-- and the most magnificent view of the medina. Much better than staying at home! You'll want to stay forever.

12 Thank adventurer35
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 December 2004

We stayed at The Ryad Maison Bleue for the last five days it was really a unique experience that went beyond all our expectations, the building, the food and the servive were just excelent.what was also a highlight of the hole trip is the diner in the Great Maison bleu. it ecceds even our dreams

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member