“Our favourite medina in Morocco”
Review of Medina of Fez

Private Tour: Fez Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #1 of 80 things to do in Fes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The city’s ancient quarter is an intricate maze of streets lined with open markets, shops and mosques.
Hong Kong, China
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Our favourite medina in Morocco”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We loved wandering (and getting lost) in the Fez medina. It felt like the most "real" medina in all of Morocco - there were more locals, going about their business, than tourists.

Visited June 2014

• Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Authentic, but be on your toes”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The real experience. So much to see while walking around crazy narrow streets. With a good map, you can find your way around. If you need directions ask the shop owners or families. Single men often gave bad directions to try to get you lost. Food areas can be a little overwhelming with smells. Be sure to negotiate when you buy things.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Lucky422014
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Perfect Place to Get Lost”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This medina is amazing can you imagine 9400 streets neither could I and I still can't but walking through many but I know it was probably not alot of streets compared in the greater scheme of things. You should visit this if you go to Morocco. :)

Visited July 2014
Cairo, Egypt
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Prepare to get lost”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is a large medina with lots of dead end alleys but plenty of souks to buy from. Staying in a riad is the best way to learn about the medina. The tannery here is very big and you get a great view of the whole process. Try Cafe Clock for great coffee and food.

Visited July 2014
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Splendid”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

After a pleasant train journey from Tangier, I found myself in the fabled old city of Fes. Upon arrival, I was accosted by a moustachioed gentleman offering cheap lodgings for the night. His cousin, he claimed, was an American who had a friend who ran a cheap hostel in the Medina. As the Medina was where I wanted to go, I followed my new friend aboard a local bus as he took me to meet his cousin. The cousin turned out to be a stern-faced Moroccan, albeit one who had spent many years in the US, and who spoke flawless English with a thick Chicago accent. He delivered me to a very reasonably priced hostel as promised, and then insisted that I have tea with him at his house. Figuring little could go wrong, I followed him to his dwelling, where I was served tea and snacks, while my guide watched soap operas on the television. He then told me he would show me round the Medina. He was a gruff little fellow, rarely if ever smiling, but was an impeccable guide, pointing out things of interest and taking me down winding back alleys. I had a jolly good time of it. The following day when I arose, I found my guide down enjoying a cup of mint tea with the proprietor of the hostel. He old me he would show me around some more, and proceeded to head off in the direction of the tanneries. What a magnificent tour I was given, as he explained the history and the details of each place we passed. At the end of the tour, he insisted upon no payment, and made his way back to his house. Free to explore the Medina now at my leisure, I wandered aimlessly but happily around for some hours, enjoying the exotic sights, sounds and smells. I highly recommend the Medina for one and all.

Visited January 2014