“Nice place, but dodgy staff”
Review of Ryad Mabrouka

Ryad Mabrouka
Ranked #23 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Bangkok, Thailand
“Nice place, but dodgy staff”
Reviewed 3 April 2011

The ryad is very attractive inside. The rooms are lovely too. The food wasn't that great. And it's basically the same meal each day. I asked them for a tour guide, and the man they recommended was very late, and then only took me around to shops and pressured me to buy something (so he could get commission), despite me telling him repeatedly that I'm not buying anything.
On my last night, I told them I'd be leaving early the next morning. The moroccan guy who ran the place said he could have breakfast ready and help with the bags. I settled the bill, and then he held out a plate and asked for a tip. This was very awkward and I was put off and gave a small amount. He gave me a bad look, and then the next morning there was no breakfast for me and no one awake to help.

Between the poor guide they gave me, and the tip extortion, I would not return. Too bad, because it's a nice place.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Our group of eight just returned from a 3 night stay at Ryad Mabrouka. We had a wonderful time.
First the ryad is beautiful, lots of Moroccan tile, plants and great colors plus the rooms are very large. It has a lovely garden with a small pool as well as a rooftop terrace with a 360 degree view over Fes and it is in a good location just a 5 minute walk into the souks.
The best part were the owners and the staff and the fabulous food. The owners and staff were so accomodating to all of our requests - a scale to weigh the luggage for our Ryan Air flight, light snacks for dinner rather than a full meal, laundry etc. The staff also prepared tasty and beautifully presented tagines for dinner and wonderful desserts. Breakfast was also very good with ample servings of yogurt, breads, croissants, coffee, tea and served with marmalade, honey, fig preserves and fresh dates.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would try and get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank zinniaqueen
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Ryad Mabrouka is a restored home in the ancient old city of Fes. The rooms are large and appointed with antiques, restored tiles, and comfortable furnishings. The beds were comfortable. I was a bit cold but there is heating in the rooms. The rooms are so large and the ceilings so high I think it is just hard to warm up the rooms. However, most people visit in warmer weather so that shouldn't be a problem. The staff were friendly and helpful and our every wish was accomplished. I would certainly recommend this ryad without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed 25 August 2010

The ryad was amazing! The ryad has been restored superbly in the original style. The rooms are spectacular and very comfortable, and guests have the freedom to roam throughout many common areas inside and in the courtyard. The courtyard is filled with plants and has a small pool, which is a welcomed relief in the Moroccan heat. Eat your meals here - they are amazing (simple and tradtional). We had the best lamb we had ever eaten. Finally, the staff is anxious to meet your every need - genuinely friendly and very interesting if you have a moment to chat with them. Don't look any further - stay here!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
DC
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed here for a weekend with a friend and we both loved the Ryad and loved Fez. The owners and staff were wonderful - in french and english. They gave great advice about where to go and what to see - and what to buy. The breakfast and dinner were wonderful and served in a beautiful outdoor setting. Decorations were beautiful as was the view from the roof. I highly recommend this Ryad.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Room Attarine is definitely a keeper. A little palace on its own.
Michel, the owner, is very welcoming.
Breakfast is sumptuous and deliciously fresh.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
SantaFe
Reviewed 1 March 2010

My family and I loved our visit to Fes and the Riad Mabrouka was the perfect place to stay to experience the magic and mystery of Fes. We felt like we had stepped back in time -
The view from the rooftop were spectacular, the staff and owners were very kind and helpful with all details of our visit- The garden was delightful and the courtyard in the center of the Riad was gorgeous-
I would definitly recomment this Riad to all my friends-

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family