“Unbeatable, top class service - even at 5 am!”
Review of Riad l'Artiste

Riad l'Artiste
Ranked #65 of 212 Fes B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Unbeatable, top class service - even at 5 am!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Period of Stay: 11th Dec - 12th Dec 2013 (1 night)
Cost: 36 Euros (396 Dirhams)(including taxes - 1 Euro for city tax - via Booking.com) for Africaine Double Room

+ points:
(1) Manager Said - I had read much about the great service and decided that this was what I needed in a huge city with a labyrinth of a medina. Even though this place was more expensive than any of my accommodation during my 16 days in Morocco, I saw the excellent ratings and reviews on TA (nothing worse than "Very Good" - that is extremely rare even for top hotels!) and Booking.com and I was convinced. Certainly, it was money well spent.

I arrived in Fes at about 5 am via the Supratours bus from Merzouga and had intended to wait out at the train station until the morning before proceeding to the riad but it was crazily cold once I got off the bus and on the spot I decided to take a petit taxi to the riad (negotiated from 50 to 30 Dirhams - I knew it's a little overpriced, but at 5 am it's not too bad!), hoping things would turn out well rather than to freeze out there.

I was so glad to see Said when he opened the door and when I explained to him why I was there at that ungodly hour he said he understood and directed me to my room without any hassle or complains! That's something to be thankful for! No extra charges either for that couple of hours sleep that I got!

He is also extremely knowledgable not just about Fes (even advising against going to the Andalusian Mosque because there are many touts there) but also getting out of Fes and when I asked him about the train timings to Meknes, he could tell me straight away that it goes every hour on the 50th minute.

He has worked as a hotelier for 15 years in France and clearly knows a thing or two about excellent service!

(2) Location - it is reasonably easy to walk to the medina (about 20 minutes) based on Said's instructions (note though that it's not really that straight so generally whenever you hit a wall and there are 2 clear paths, go right and downhill). The taxi driver didn't know the riad exactly but could get to the address that I showed him and also with the help of Google Maps. NOTE: the location of the riad is correct but there are two other riads (Attarine and El Amine Fes) that are on the same street - I was confused because I saw Riad Attarine and thought the driver took me to the wrong street but it is correct!

(3) Beautiful decor in the dining area and also in the rooms. Comfortable bed, pillows and the room and toilet were very clean.

(4) Breakfast was decent and quite typical and I had dinner there as well - 10 Euros for 2 small dishes of salad, a bowl of harira soup, chicken tajine (very big piece of chicken - more meat than vegetables, that must be rare!), and some sweet snacks. Tasty and quite worth it I felt (though the can of coke was expensive at 2 Euros!) and all prepared by the great man Said!

(5) CCTVs - Something rare in Morocco accommodation and certainly adds a sense of security!

- point:
(1) The wifi wasn't working in my room and normally I'm very particular about wifi but it worked well in the dining area which had nice sofa and a heater so that was alright :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MrLukeLau

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in the Africainne room. It was a beautiful room, large with a very nice bathroom. The room is very well appointed with attention to detail. It has a very nice atmosphere.
The whole riad is super clean and beautiful.
It is located in the southern edge of the medina. It has a much quieter feel, and safer feel, to the rest of the medina. It is a pleasant 10 minute walk to the medina. You pass local restaurants and ATM's on the way. Your taxi can at least pull up 80 metres from the riad.
Excuse the spelling but Zagari, the front of house, provided fantastic service in a very pleasant manner. He was very attentive throughout and made the stay there very pleasant.
All in all great value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Excellent choice. Rooms and the whole maroocan house / Riad - very nice, look like a maroocan fairytale. Very helpfull/friendly staff - owner. Provided a remarkable visit to hamman. Nice rooftop, in good location in medina ( quieter part ).

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This place is stunning and really became a highlight of our Morocco trip! My sister and I really enjoyed our stay here, and regretted that we only could stay 1 night. The owner Said is hilarious and absolutely personable. He was a great host and our only host in our entire stay in Morocco that would gladly slam the door to the pesky boys who followed us to our accommodation. A hero in our eyes!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Family-friendly, authetic riad, on the southern border of the media. Perfect starting-point for walks through the medina. Ideal as a calm place to relax from the vibrant life in Fes. Dinner on terrace (roof) with view over the medina and the hills.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Herr M
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We bumped into Riad L'Artiste accidentally and we were really lucky. This Riad literally is an oasis within the busy city of Fés – both because of the house itself and its owner Said. The rooms are spacious and without too much icky scenery, the roof terrace is a nice one. Located near Bab Jdid, it is a good starting point to explore the city. Said is a very friendly host, always addressable and a valuable source for tips of any kind.

Room Tip: 1st (middle) floor ;)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maechi
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this riad on our journey around Morocco, and it was definetely our favourite one. Riad is very nice decorated, with a lot of small details that makes you feel really like at home. Our room was also very nice with perfect bathroom decorated with small tiles like mosaic all over walls, floor and bathtube. Everything was very clean, with clean sheets and towels. Breakfast is nice and it's served in the courtyard in the middle of the riad. The highlight is definetely Said, the owner, you don't meet everyday so warm welcoming and so helpful host. We enjoyed talking with him and learn a lot of about Fes and Morocco from him. I really really recommend this riad, and for sure you won't regret if you book your room here, I would do it again with no hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple