“When one gives an 'Excellent' quotation, what is there more to say?”
Review of Dar El Ouedghiri

Dar El Ouedghiri
Ranked #24 of 216 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2013

When one gives an 'Excellent' quotation, what is there more to say?
We are regular travellers through different European countries and always looking for the bed and breakfast-formule. Experiences of our friends help us mostly to find suitable residenses. So we leaned on their advices this time too.
A friendly English speaking young men help us through the labyrint of narrow streets to the reserved riad. What seemed to be an anonymous house with only an small nameboard next to its frontdoo seemed to be our riad. A quite lane with a mosque at the corner, a good reference point, for the next 4 days of our staying. Outside it didn't give us a great impression but, once inside in the central patio, we were overwhelmed by its beauty. It made us think of the beautiful places we had seen once in Andalusia. Two large bedrooms on the ground floor and two equally large on the first floor. All rooms have a view on this beautiful patio. On top of the building there are two covered terraces giving an uncomparable sight on the city and the surrounding valley. Our room was large with a double and a single bed, table and bench and a small seperate bathroom in the corner. Everything clean and decent

Our friends in Belgium had warned us to pay attention to the hygienic conditions in Morocco. Their tap water is not drinkable for Europeans but our hostess and her daughter were very aware of our precautions. Bottled water for toothbrushing and drinking was always available. For the same hygienic reasons we chose not to have our meals in town and decided to have them in this riad. In one word: they were EXCELLENT!
One of our best experiences was the warm relations we had with the whole staff. The helpfull attitude of the kitchen- and cleaning help, the warm welcome greetings, everytime we met Fatima,the hostess-mother, and the the fascinating and enriching conversations we had with the daughter and her cousin who occasionally helped a hand. French or English, for both of them it was no problem. Who could ask for more? One can not imagine to have a better starting point for a Morocco travel. And so Fes became our favourite Kingcity, far better than Marakech, which is, for our taste, much too touristy.

Room Tip: We had our room of the ground floor, giving immediate access to the patio where you have breakfast...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Dar El Ouedghiri

Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for a few nights in May. I'm honestly not sure how this Riyad got such good reviews. The rooms are okay, very basic. The bathroom isn't the cleanest and the shower took FOREVER to drain... not cool! It's about a 15 min walk to Medina, although walking back alone at night doesn't feel very safe. Breakfast wasn't anything special and we proffered to eat elsewhere. Service is ok, the staff are very friendly but only one spoke English and she was not always around. The riyads we stayed at in Marrakesh costs less and the rooms were more tastefully decorated. All in all, I don't think I will be recommending this place to any of my friends.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Jazz_SA
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I stayed with my friends two nights here. The first impression was amazing. It was our first properly looking riad with a lot of colours in it. We were there in winter so it was cold but the owner's daughter (who speaks v.good english) gave us a small heater. there is also an air con in the rooms so you can use it to warm your room. The rooms are different so have a look first before you decide which one to choose. The bathroom wastn't the cleanest one but for the maroccan standards was good. there was no hot water but after telling that to the owner's daughter that was soon sorted as they have a lot of fuses at the exit to the terrace and people simple use them to turn the lights at the terrace and that oftec causes the problem.
Make sure you ask if something is not right as they are always eager to help - just tell them. This is not only here but everywhere. Don't expect that someone will bring you something - ask for it and make sure you agree price first not to be overcharged.
the vi-fi is not the greates. It only works in the sitting area and the signal is very weak.
We also ordered a dinner one evening. There was no menu at that day so we didn't know the price - that was our first lesson to ask for the price before. We were charged more for this one dinner than for our stay. I wouldn't recommend to buy anything to eat there. you can buy much better and much, much cheaper food in the restaurant (as we found out later). We payed through the nose for tajin that wasn't even tasty. Also every evening around 10 p.m the owner came and sush ewerybody. People were sitting and enjoying themselves and I felt like a child that mother's come to send it to bed.

overall My experience there was good but I will never forget how I was overcharged for the tajin. that was outrageous.

Room Tip: Always ask to see the room first. I stayed in a room at the top floor. It was good in the winter as...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I recently spent 2 nights here on a flying visit to Fes.

I booked through the place I stayed in Chefchaouen and was picked up by a friendly English speaking man at the CTM bus station. I had to pay for the taxi which was 15dr. I gather from other guests that this is a per person rate.

The riad is located on a quiet lane, not far from one of the two main streets running through the maze/medina. Though you would have a hard time finding it on your own. There wasn't much of a sign, just a plaque/carved tile incorporated into the wall next to the door.

After the modest entrance I was taken aback when I entered the grand central room, two floors in height and decorated in traditional style. My room was directly off this room. 250dr if I remember rightly.

The room was large with a double and single bed. there was also a chaise longue, chairs and bizarrely a coffee table frame with no glass top.

Bathroom was clean. Had to hold shower head in hand as if you put it in the holder it would spray over your head. The toilet tank took a LONG time to refill, perhaps an hour or more.

There was aircon/heat. On the first night the heat stopped during the night and I woke up freezing. This was either due to someone turning off a switch outside my room or perhaps a trip switch as too much power was being used. Wifi did not work very well.

The views from the rooftop were amazing. Encompassing the medina and hills beyond the city.

The included breakfast was quite basic but filling.

When I arrived I had asked for a key for the room as there wasn't one. I didn't get one and I wasn't 100% comfortable leaving all my things in an unlocked room. Not that I think any of the staff would have stolen from me. On the second day one magically appeared in the door.

The family who run the place were very friendly and welcoming. The daughter spoke excellent English.

I organised a guide through them. I was told that the price could be negotiated with him upon his arrival (it was already late in the day and would be dark in a couple of hours so I would not get the standard three hour tour.) However once there he told me the price was not negotiable and as he'd already travelled there in a taxi I could not back out. I felt slightly misled.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2013

A true Moroccan experience in an authentic family guest house at the heart of the old Medina of Fes. The rooms of the house are spacious, comfortable and very clean. The leaving area is beautifully decorated in the Moroccan style.

The owner Lalla Fatima and her daughter Kadija who speaks a very good English are excellent hosts, very friendly, happy, helpful and not to mention the delicious Moroccan food prepared by the Mom.

Room Tip: The owner prepares very delecious meals, so if you want you can ask for dinner at the riad and have...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChrestiLey
Reviewed 15 January 2013

A real gem! We were received as long-lost relatives in this authentic family home in the heart of Fez medina. The place is beautifully renovated, with good, spotless clean rooms and bathrooms, Hot water is always available in abundance. From our experience, Lala Fatima makes the best pastilla in Morocco (and also takes good care of you when you get sick from the local restaurants' food...). Breakfasts are copious and homemade, Service is kind, warm and personal, always with a genuine smile. Location is excellent, in a quiet residential neighbourhood in the heart of the medina, with an easy, brightly illuminated access to the commercial streets, and a five-minutes walk to the taxis of Place Batha. The terrace is a show apart: as the riad is located in the upper part of the city and the views over the medina and the mountains are just amazing! Highly recommended for travellers who want to experience the real thing and a genuine human contact in Fez.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lizglass07
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The riad owners are excellent hosts, very friendly, happy and helpful. The location is the best for those who want to "live" in the Medina for a few days and very close to the main shopping streets. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and very clean. The leaving area is beautifully decorated in the Moroccan style. One of the best places I have stayed in Morocco and the friendliest people I have met there. Definitely the place to stay in Fes.

Room Tip: Any room will do.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family