“Threatening harrassment”

and up
3-Hour Batha Palace, Bab Boujloud, Mellah and Kings Palace Tour in Fez
Ranked #26 of 82 things to do in Fes
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Petty harassment is normal in Fez and is part of the experience. I walked all over the Medina and far off the main shopping alleys into tiny, dark, winding residential quarters and never had a problem. My overall impression of Fez is positive, with one exception: The Mellah. As soon as I turned off the main street and into the smaller streets towards the synagge and Jewish Cemetery I was followed by a fake guide. I wanted to walk around by myself so I politely declined. He continued to follow and pester me, but this is also common in the Medina so I just kept repeating no and telling him I didn't want a guide. He would not leave and escalated his demands. Finally he stood in front of the one of the narrow entrance ways that I wanted to enter and told me "this is my neighborhood, you will see no more". By that time I was disgusted and left. I agree with other reviewers here that the faux guides in the Mellah are more menacing, intimidating and threatening than in other areas of Fez and they simply won't take no for an answer. The Royal Palace is just a few blocks away and I was tempted to go get a policeman to teach that young man a lesson, but I decided not to expend my energy that way. Avoid the Mellah.

3  Thank Michael A

Reviewed 16 October 2013

It was interesting to see this small, but beauty little synagogue within the medina of Fez, where Islam is the predominant religion. The rabbi was kind to let us view his place of worship, without interruption. However, it would have been helpful to have more background information about this community of faith and its history.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Not much that make it stand out as a jewish area. The cemetary is nice to see though. When visiting the area this is a nice sidestep for a few minutes, nothing more...

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We went through the Mellah's streets which were very crowded. I think you better know the Moroccan language/French in case you get lost or need some help. Most don't speak English.
It is safe to walk around.

1  Thank Kukiline
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Get lost in its small street and don't miss the synagogue. If closed... knock on the door, they will open it for you!