“jews residence” 4 of 5 bubbles

74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“jews residence”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

you go to fes al jadid then you cant miss this place,good aerial views of jews cemetery,there are synagogues there too but you can only see them from outside.but architecture is definately different to the moors and worth a look,all the jews though shifted in new areas of fes.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank alamUk

Fes, Morocco
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Jewish Quarter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Nice to see the difference in buildings. If you have enough time than its worth a visit. If you only stay 1 or 2 days than i think its better to stay at the old medina. Prices in this part of town are cheaper than in the old (and more touristic) medina. You will see some tourist, but not much.Thea is only 5dh in stead of 10 in the old medina.

Visited December 2013
Larchmont
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Where are the Jews?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

So, this is where the Jewish community of Fes was concentrated before it left. About two blocks of buildings with unique terraces. Oh well.

Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Threatening harrassment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Petty harassment is normal in Fez and is part of the experience. I walked all over the Medina and far off the main shopping alleys into tiny, dark, winding residential quarters and never had a problem. My overall impression of Fez is positive, with one exception: The Mellah. As soon as I turned off the main street and into the smaller streets towards the synagge and Jewish Cemetery I was followed by a fake guide. I wanted to walk around by myself so I politely declined. He continued to follow and pester me, but this is also common in the Medina so I just kept repeating no and telling him I didn't want a guide. He would not leave and escalated his demands. Finally he stood in front of the one of the narrow entrance ways that I wanted to enter and told me "this is my neighborhood, you will see no more". By that time I was disgusted and left. I agree with other reviewers here that the faux guides in the Mellah are more menacing, intimidating and threatening than in other areas of Fez and they simply won't take no for an answer. The Royal Palace is just a few blocks away and I was tempted to go get a policeman to teach that young man a lesson, but I decided not to expend my energy that way. Avoid the Mellah.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Michael A
houston, tx
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Interesting Synagogue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

It was interesting to see this small, but beauty little synagogue within the medina of Fez, where Islam is the predominant religion. The rabbi was kind to let us view his place of worship, without interruption. However, it would have been helpful to have more background information about this community of faith and its history.

Visited September 2013