“Beautiful Hotel, slow service.”

Riad Fes - Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #13 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Miami Beach, Florida
“Beautiful Hotel, slow service.”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is a gorgeous hotel located inside the Medina. Make sure you have breakfast in the hotel, it is delicious. Some of the rooms are spectacular, some are so-so. When you make your reservation make sure you request one of the larger rooms; it makes a big difference. Some of the people in our party stayed in the smaller rooms, and they were not happy at all. Dinner is good, and the terrace has the greatest view of the city; but be very patient. One night the waiter was taking so long, that he asked me if he could bring the check to me the next day!!!

Room Tip: Paying the little extra for the junior suite makes a huge difference.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fritz69_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

What a visual delight the Riad Fes is, a calm and peaceful haven after bustle of the lanes of the Medina. The Riad is a stylish and elegant restoration and transformation of 3-4 large houses, providing large airy rooms decorated in traditional style with every modern comfort around charming courtyards. The roof terraces provide an excellent sunset view over the Medina and further to the hills of Fes. The staff were in general very friendly and helpful although some room maintenance had to be requested twice. Our stay was slightly marred by travellers belly from three of the party. Wifi access is available in the lobby only, reaching to the original rooms opening on to this area.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Annie W
Verbier, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Perhaps the strangest Relais entrance you ever will encounter, up a zig zag of alleys on the edge of the medina (the large old Islamic town) for the hotel is an amalgam of three large adjacent old houses, congealed and renovated grandly, so the hotel does not stand apart but is integral part of the medina, a labyrinth of alleys and narrow streets threading one mass of structures, dating back, improbably, over 1200 years to 9thC AD. This is best appreciated from the roof, la terrasse panoramique, and what a view, see the medina sprawl in a shallow basin, and the ville nouvelle (new town built by French after 1912) perched on plateau left. So inside the hotel we have big courtyards, two grandly decorated in traditional Islamic style, and rooms all about, accessed by a web of steps. Rooms are grand, wander and sprawl, and our ceiling (ground floor room) was high enough to host its own weather. The dining room fare is excellent, like the chef’s special lamb in smoked onion jam. Staff very amiable. Excellent swim pool. Gym is basic but works. But... the internet battles, slow, intermittent, but gets there, and watch your step, there are many unsuspecting steps about the premises, up and down, causing the unwary to tumble or stumble.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Best hotel/riad from our Morrocan tour. A splendour, a Moorish piece of art, an exquisite performance of medieval architecture - all of these touched by a refined design, a top-clas service and an out of time tranquil atmosphere. Enjoy the interior garden, the swiming pool and the sunny terraces, enjoy the colours of the beautiful mosaics and stained glasses and touch with the eyes and soul the wonderful antiquities - search through the Moroccan gastronomy and choose a valvety Moroccan red wine. This riad placed in the Fes medina has remained close to our heart ... "the beauty is inside ..."

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian G
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We are a mixed French & Asian couple with 2 kids (3 & 7 y.o.) in Riad Fes for 5 days 4 nights, a week after Ramadhan finished. I'm a photographer.

General Fes:
Fes, Morocco has surprised me and impressed me with its exotism and wonderful work of arts as well as the people. I heard so many pros and cons visiting Morocco from Trip Advisor and ppl who have visited the country that made me exciting but reluctant as the same time. What kind of adventure is waiting ahead? As travelling with kids and expensive photography gears; for the safety reason and considering the beauty I want to see; we finally decided to visit Fes, the oldest city in Morocco instead of Marrakesh that more touristic and crowded. And I am glad we did! The Fes airport was neat and clean with friendly officers. As a woman (Chinese-Indonesian), I was prepared to wear scarf, long sleeves and jeans even though it was super hot to avoid unwanted remarks. But people were not bothering us at all, some locals were wearing modern t-shirt as well with short sleeves. 1st day, we went out without a tour guide. We were so worried to get lost easily with all the small quite alleys like labyrinth if we ever got back to our riad. Then we decided not to go too far from hotel and carefully remembered each turn we made. They were polite and friendly and most of them speak French and English. Between them, they greed "Assalamu Alaikum!". I felt over react while I was trying to protect my bag and kids..as days passed, everything went just fine! Of course, tour guide or driver (that we ordered from hotel)would try their best to make money by taking us to shops we didn't ask. Many times we got trapped in leather shop, carving shop, art shop and spices shop. They would just let you in, greed you well, extremely nice offering you warm mint tea, water and fan and let you take pictures. But again, they were polite and nice and should be treated with respect as well. Fes is an oldest city and people are educated. They are very good merchants as well. Telling stories, wonderful hospitality and respecting each other are they way of selling and negotiating that might take hours to get a deal done. Kinda tricky to refuse, but if you do it politely and smartly, they'd understand. The only tourist follower was a 10 year old good boy who was polite and nice, didn't bother us at all offering to take us back to hotel. People certainly didn't like to be taken picture of unless you give some benefit of buying their things. Last day, there was a thief and he's been chased by the locals. Secret police were there for tourists in medina. 3rd day, we could manage to go around ourselves and ate in local restaurants. Be prepared to walk A LOT, it's hot outside but shady as the narrow streets of medina protect from direct sun. So many things to see and visits in old medina which the most exciting and exotic thing than new city. It was an unforgettable wonderful exotic trip we had.

Hotel: We stayed in Riad Fes for 5 days 4 nights. We've been greeted and picked up by a clean and neat driver whom spoke French and English, arranged quickly by Riad Fes that we asked the transfer by phone just a day before and they asked us to reconfirm by e-mail. There is only one word to describe Riad Fes..AMAZING! From the street, you wouldn't realize how wonderful it is inside, it's located in old city, between the walls and small alleys of medina. As we entered the lobby, it's beautifully carved from bottom up..details, details, details! Everywhere was nicely decorated by antiques. We've been greeted warmly with cool towels, warm mint tea and cookies. We've been given a map to discover Fes. We stayed in Junior Suite, Le Merinide as we allowed to have 2 kids together in the same room, we got an extra bed and a big comfortable sofa. To get there, we need to climb stairs 3 floors but worth it as our room was fantastic and we got quite privacy from noises of other guests from the lobby, I felt like a princess! It's a palace! The room welcomed us with lily flowers and some sweets. Bathroom clean with amenities incld. traditional Moroccan paste of spa self treatment and a wet towel dryer that came handy to dry children's wet clothes. We had our own coffee machine. It has a changing room, tv, bathrobes, sandals, filled mini bar and safety box, of course, AIRCON! Bed were so beautiful and comfortable. We got wifi in room. We could order room service or even be serviced on roof top terrace with magnificent view of Fes city around with only glass fences to break the view barrier. Almost no body knew there was roof top terrace which I saw from internet when I browsed the hotel, so we got our privacy enjoying sunset on the rooftop. In the evening, they closed our glass doors by the huge and heavy carved wooden doors to keep our privacy and quietness. Staffs in general were nice, friendly and polite. I tried the Hammam and spa massage, it was nice and they offered free lunch after massage. Restaurant was great, it's the only modern room I've seen in the riad but it had wonderful menu and breakfast incld. general western foods and kids friendly. My younger son is very picky eater (mostly only Asian foods) but I was surprised he could survive eating in Morocco; traditional bread, brochette de poule (chicken kebab/satay), baked fish and vegetable soup were his favourite while my older son enjoyed to try exotic Moroccan platter served in with 5 dishes. They also impressed us with the way they served the mint tea from high up far from cup. Time to time, they changed the setting that we had romantic candle light dinner around the pond of the bar with a wonderful sitar player with his attractive yellow baboush and red hat. Our last night, he was laughing happily as my kids applauded him many times. The head of the restaurant said goodbye to us as he might be informed it's our last night. We chose Riad Fes considering that if the city disappointed us (dangerous, not so fun to visit with kids, or else), at least we wanted to have a hotel that has everything for us to get most of Moroccan's feelings and enjoyable to stay in where the kids are safe and happy and I could take exotic pictures. And we were so happy it's beyond our expectation. Architecture wise, staffs, service, languages, foods, location; they have them all! It's an unforgettable romantic, exotic and amazing hotel.

Critics and suggestion: Though the hotel was excellent, doesn't mean no more improvement to be done. There are several things that we thought Riad Fes should improve:
1. There's no aircon in the lobby. The city is so hot, so guests appreciate immediate freshness as soon as they arrive in the hotel more than cold towels, in my opinion. I understand the hotel is very old and the ceiling is high; might be difficult to install central aircon, but several nice antique looked fans would be nice.
2. The toilet flush was broken and fell from the wall which need to be repaired considering the excellence service should be for Riad Fes in general and specially for a room like Junior Suite.
3. They made mistake to address welcome letter for someone else in our room.
4. Hammam and spa was nice but not to be remembered. The girl was not directed me clearly what to do when I changed to get to the hammam. As it was my first experience, I was lost, didn't know what to do as after the reception, an attendant (whom I think was having flu as she constantly sucking up her nose which worried my hygiene issue for healthy spa) just gave me paper undies and bathrobe and left me alone in a changing room. She came back looked surprised I put my bathrobe on waiting for her and she corrected me I should be undressed and go to the hammam and then she showed me where to go as she was expecting me to know before. After the massage, the salad lunch served in waiting room instead of by the pool as I ordered and without even water to drink. Actually, I would appreciate to have a cup of nice warm tea instead of salad lunch and some more sincere and friendly warmth smile along with my spa ritual I didn't really get, I was expecting nice Moroccans hospitality but I got more looked as a stranger.
5. need more channels for the tv, if possible.
6. Restaurant always served yogurt, cereals, coffee, tea..with big dinning spoons for breakfast and we had to ask all the time until finally on last 5th day, they remembered to give us small tea spoons.
7. to be more selective or warn the tour guide to take guests where we wanted to go instead of trapping us to several shops to get commissions and we missed our chance to visit places we paid him to visit. Our tour guide was nice at the beginning (he claimed he was an English teacher, we forgot his name), told us stories about the streets, people, culture but then visiting only 2 places in 3 hrs in medina and we've been brought to buy leather, spices, carpet and antiques no matter we told him no as our children were too tired until my son fell a sleep in antique shop that we had to carry on our back a long way back to hotel walking by foot exhausting and cramps on legs! And knowing he couldn't make more money, he walked fast leaving us behind back to hotel as we were no longer interesting for him. 4th day, we ordered a driver to visit outside old city ourselves without guide. Instead of university we asked to see, he took us around as he wanted. We did get to see the palace (we didn't ask but we agreed as he offered), a scenic city view by the hill (as he suggested) and les Merinides (as we asked), but the rest looked like he only take around same way after pottery shop trap he did to make more commission. It supposed to be 3 hrs ride but become 2 hrs only.
8. The restaurant leader was a bit rushing us to finish our plates as he was asking if we've finished even the plates were still half full. We, French and esp. with kids, we'd like to take our time to enjoy our meals. I think he needs to be relaxed more and smile more.

I hope my critics are taken as sincere hope of improvement of Riad Fes. We do suggest anybody who visit Fes to stay in Riad Fes, look no more, it's the best hotel that has it all! We love it!

Room Tip: Junior Suite is good for a family with 2 small children. Fit for an extra bed and big comfortable so...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Susan C
Riad_Fes_Manager, Manager at Riad Fes - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Susan C,
Thank you very much for your very honest, detailed and nice feedback.
I am glad that our hotel did meet your expectations. I will certainly pass your comments along to our team (mostly the spa and restaurant Manager) and also to the Tourism Office of Fez regarding the guides. As we are only an intermediary in such operations, we always give a big importance to the feedbacks in order to improve the quality of our daytrips, guided tours and transfers by selecting the best ones.
I really appreciate your review and we will definitely use your remarks to improve the quality of our services. My greetings to the whole family (hugs to Pierre & Jean, they were so cute with us)!!
I hope to welcome you next time and share a mint tea with you on our roof top terrace.
Best Regards
Awa DIAKHATE
Maitresse de Maison
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed just two nights last August and I would recommend this hotel to anyone anytime.

Upon arrival we were met with hospitality, friendliness and efficiency. We were upgraded to a deluxe room without asking (I believe the room was called Bata) and we could not have been happier, it was spacious, the AC had been on for long enough to give the room a nice temperature (no luxury in Fes in August) and it was elegantly and luxuriously decorated.

We had dinner once and the food was a delight, the atmosphere in the patio just about perfect and the staff was both efficient and discrete. In fact, the only thing we regretted about our stay was not dining there again the second night, our curiosity made us go elsewhere (another 5 star hotel) and it was not even close to the quality of the Riad Fes.

Perfect stay in a truly great hotel, thanks to the beautiful patios, a fantastic room, amazing food and last but not least the friendly staff, of which I should mention, at risk of being unfair to the other staff, Mrs Awa Diakhate, who made us feel welcome and made our stay even more memorable.

We will definitely visit this Riad again, I highly recommend anyone planning a trip to Fes to do the same.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay last week at Riad Fes. The facility is beautiful with great attention to detail. An authentic Moroccan experience in luxurious comfort – Riad Fes truly merits being part of the Relais and Chateux group.

And who was there as I strolled through the magnificent courtyard? SCARLETT JOHANSSON – my favorite actress just a few feet away. Wow! I like her in everything she has done but my favorite was her break through movie “Lost in Translation”.

The fine dining restaurant was outstanding. My personal favorites were the Lamb Tagine simmered in onion sauce and Moroccan spices – the Moroccan salad, which consisted of eight separate sampler plates in a single order – and most of all the appetizer on the menu which was out of this world – Moroccan Ravioli – freshly made pasta stuffed with pureed roasted vegetables with red wine sauce reduced to its sumptuous best. I ordered the ravioli on both days I ate in the fine dining restaurant. The lute player sitting cross legged in the corner of the dining room added to the ambiance of traditional Moroccan dining – what a wonderful experience!

A special thanks to Awa, the General Manager, who did everything possible to make my stay an enjoyable one. Awa has a good command of English, French and Arabic… and nothing gets Lost in Translation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo