“Oh dear!”
Review of Hotel de la Paix

Hotel de la Paix
Ranked #96 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Really bad experience I'm afraid, smelly noisy and dated. Felt like I needed to pour bleach on my body after sleeping on those beds. Real dump! Avoid if possible, find a bench in a park before this place seriously!

On a positive note the guy at reception was nice.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

I blame the Rough Guide description which is wholly inaccurate. Overpriced place you might go to commit suicide. Hooker came and went from room next door. Tepid water. Room decor circa 1980. Holes in the wall. Everything was beige! No decent restaurants nearby - again Rough guide needs updating. Stay here as a last resort if you don't have a car to sleep in. 480 dirahms a night - 475 dirahms too much.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank alex j
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We appeared to be lucky in getting a renovated room, other members of our tour group were not so lucky and had a much lower opinion of the rooms. Our room was quite clean, and the reception happy to give directions and were friendly enough. The hotel is also well located for the Medina.

I would not recommend the onsite bar, situated in the basement. It is dark, dingy, smoke filled and has a very seedy atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

sketchy rundown dirty backpacker place. If you absolutely have to stay here like I did (tourgroup), bring a sleep sheet or risk the bed bugs.The shower kept coming apart. Upside: the air conditioning works. A petit taxi to the medina should cost you about 10dirhams each way.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

There seem to be differing classes of rooms in this hotel. I was on a group tour as a single and was given a room on the first floor which was incredibly dated and grotty (the bedspread was grey but looked like it was originally white or cream), whereas the couples on the tour were given renovated rooms which were newly tiled and painted and had LCD tv's.

I did complain and was moved to a slightly better room on the 3rd floor, but had to put up with paint fumes.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank YippeeKiYay_au
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We got what we paid for and we didn't expect more or less. Rooms were tidy and clean with good lighting and hot water. Breakfast was basic but again didn't expect too much. Good central location in the new quarter which allowed for nightly walks out to restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel - or at least, the room I stayed in - was appalling.

My room was on the 3rd floor, and when I went up, the hallways were lined in plastic and paper as they were painting. The room itself had been freshly painted (the heater had literally been painted over), and the smell was overpowering. The floor was so dirty that I refused to walk with bare feet in the room, and instead dug out my flip-flops.

I'm an easy traveller: I've stayed in hostels in Morocco with no issues, but here, I spent most of my night at the hotel bar simply because I didn't want to spend time in my room.

Breakfast was awful too: rationed to 3 pieces of stale bread and 1 piece of cheese each, with a hawk-eyed waiter that seemed genuinely upset (I do hope he wasn't reprimanded by management) if the guests took more than their "allocation". The only redeeming factor was they served proper Ceylon tea, which made a nice change from the Moroccan mint.

Most of the other travellers on the tour had no hot water, but luckily this was not the case for me.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo