“Gorgeously warm and inviting Riad in Fes”
Review of Riad Numero 9

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fes
Riad Numero 9
Ranked #50 of 216 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I don't think I can say enough great things about Riad Numero 9, which have not already been said in so many other raving reviews, but I will try. Stephen is an incredible host and has restored this grand home into an immaculate haven in Fes.
Not one detail is overlooked- gorgeous textiles abound, fantastic antiques, fabulous food and wine, even the bath soap is wonderful.
Stephen and Atika were quite helpful in making sure we knew how to make our way through the medina without missing any key spots for sightseeing, shopping and eating. But as I said before the food was so good at Riad 9 thanks to Kitoum, we rarely ate elsewhere.
I highly recommend Riad Numero 9 to anyone traveling to the magical city of Fes and desires an equally magical place to stay. Bravo Stephen!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elizabeth T
There are newer reviews for Riad Numero 9

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Riad no 9 was so much more than I expected and I expected a lot based on two separate groups of friends who had stayed previously. The owner marked places of interest to see and places to eat. Of course the meals we had at Riad No 9 were the best and the cappucino the best in my world. We spent leisurely mornings taking breakfast on the roof terrace where the views of the whole city would have been enough. The linens, plates, pillows, food were superb. Cannot wait to return

Room Tip: any room is a good room
Reviewed 9 June 2013

One of my most memorable stays in Morocco (or anywhere for that matter!), it was like being privy to an elegant private home. The owner Stephen and Atika, the housekeeper, were wonderful. Everything was taken care of, from our transport to and from the train station, to our meals. Our dinner was so good in fact, that we ate there every night of our stay. Kitoum is an excellent chef, and I have never had such a delicious or more visually appealing breakfast included with a room! You could see the care that was taken to select the freshest local ingredients and I felt I had the best meals Fes had to offer! Upon arriving, Stephen went over a map of the Medina with us and carefully explained how to get to all the most interesting places, (verified by all my tour books) and where to find the best shopping. Fes has such amazing artisans and I wish I could have spent more days there to shop! Our room, or should I say suite, was extraordinary. Incredibly comfortable and well appointed, it was also amazingly beautiful, being carefully restored to its original splendor. When we had to leave I felt so different when we left the Medina. In the Medina I felt safe and amongst friends. I met the kindest people and there were many magical moments. I hope I can return to Morocco some day and I will definitely come back to visit my new friends at Riad 9!

Reviewed 7 June 2013

We had a magical stay at Riad No 9 in May. Full disclosure: I read about the renovation of the Riad in an issue of Elle Decor devoted to global design quite a few years back. It was such a great issue that i still have the issue in my library. Fast forward a few years and as I am researching places to stay in Fez, I stumble across the Riad and realize it is the one I read about.

Considering this a sign, I reached out to inquire about availability. From the very first contact, the owner Stephen was an absolute pleasure and very responsive and helpful in every way. He even helped us coordinate our train schedule as we were coming in from Casablanca and provided spot-on recommendations for the Marrakesh portion of our trip. Better still, we arrived to find that we had been upgraded to the suite for 2 nights since they'd had a last minute cancellation. Attika, the house keeper had even baked me a cake since it was my birthday the next day! Stephen sat us down and gave us a terrific overview and recommendations for our stay as well as a fantastic tour company. While we chose to have dinner on the rooftop terrace they first night, they sorted out dinner reservations for our other three nights as well as a visit to the hammam. Stephen is a longtime resident of Fes and has impeccable taste. All his recommendations were spot in. The house is lovingly restored and cared for. I had high hopes based on the photo-spreads I had seen and it did not disappoint.

Fes can be intense and frenetic but the Riad itself is a quiet and relaxing oasis in the midst of the medina. You truly feel you are staying in someone's home. Breakfast and drinks on the relaxing rooftop terrace were a particular highlight. We had the companionship of the riad cats - Rubis and Boots as well as two tortoises and a bevy of birds who make it their home. We stayed at some really terrific places during our two weeks traveling through Morocco but Riad No 9 really stands out.

Room Tip: We had the opportunity to stay in both rooms. While they are both lovely if you can stretch for the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Our stay at Riad 9 was very memorable – and for all the right reasons. We had an absolutely delicious dinner upon arrival, which was much easier than trying to find a restaurant on our first night. Stephen was informative, helpful, and welcoming from our first contact with him. Attika, the housekeeper, is also friendly and helpful. They showed us a map, how to navigate the medina, and where key sites were.. and, to our surprise, encouraged us to see it without a guide. We did, and had a richer and more fun experience because of it. They also gave us invaluable advice on interacting with locals. The riad itself is lovingly restored and absolutely gorgeous. The terrace has great views of the medina. The daily breakfasts are divine!! We felt well taken care of during our stay and would love to visit again soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

While I use TripAdvisor as a reference frequently, this is my first review. We stayed at Riad No 9 for two nights towards the end of April, and we had an exemplary experience. Coming off the train after a few frenetic days in Marrakech, we were very pleased to enter the tranquility of this jewel box house. (Complimentary transport to / from is also a plus, especially in Morocco where you can easily feel a little... squeezed.) It's a special place - here are some of the highlights:
- the riad has tons of character and is beautifully designed, but still comfortable to stay in
- we stayed in the master suite, which is pretty huge. Good bed, nice shower, overall great
- breakfasts were delicious (we also had a fantastic dinner in the adjacent No 7 restaurant - highly recommend) and the two women on staff are friendly, helpful but unobtrusive
- roofdeck is great, with nice touches like turtles and songbirds and friendly cats. Amazing view of the city
- we really enjoyed meeting the owner Stephen. He was there to provide advice if we needed it (we did), and he gave us some great suggestions for how to focus our short two days as well as tips for navigating the city. He acted at the quintessential host and is an excellent resource and interesting guy. It's worthwhile seeking out his guidance to make the most of your city visit and your riad stay.

Upon arrival, we were pretty sure we would never find our way back... but after the first afternoon we were well oriented and had no trouble finding our way around, even after dark.

Fes is really lovely in general. Staying at Riad No 9 only sweetens the deal!

Caroline & Sam

Room Tip: It's a small place with only a couple of rooms. We stay in (and can recommend) the master suite...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline D
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Riad Number 9 is special. The ancient city of Fes is unique. This centuries old medina house is a treasure. The charming American owner has an international background and loves Fes. His eye for furnishings and detail is impeccable. Most important, he shares his home with grace and generosity, catering to the needs and wishes of guests who have the good fortune to stay for a few days.
The rooms are traditional, quiet and romantic with comfortable beds and exotic bathrooms. Each looks onto the central courtyard. Be aware that climbing stairs in this multi-story traditional house is for the fit, and lighting is low level.
Every morning was a feast of wonderful Moroccan food: local breads, omelets, homemade jams, fresh juices, yogurt, coffee and tea. In fine weather a climb to the rooftop garden for breakfast, gives a 380 degree view of the neighbouring rooftops and the countryside beyond. Service by two lovely Moroccan sisters is unerring. Both speak French and English as well as Arabic, and getting to know them is a treat.
A restaurant is also run by the hotel with meals by prearrangement. The cuisine is Moroccan influenced with contemporary flair and very delicious.

Room Tip: The biggest and brightest room is at the top.
1  Thank Lanelady